Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

Can't wait to hear this. I actually think Kendrick achieved royalty status with To Pimp a Butterfly, which is still pretty jaw-dropping, ambitious, etc. No disrespect to GKMC, which was a righteous debut.

Not going to give DAMN. a rating, but I will say this....it's a masterpiece.  There is no filler and between the beats and Kendrick's flow, this is the best rap album from start to finish that I've heard in years.  Lyricism at it's finest. 

When I was looking at the guest features, I thought XXX. feat. U2 was going to sound like your generic rap song w/ the melodic hook.  COMPLETELY thrown for a loop as to how this track turned out.  To me, it's the highlight of the album.  Probably my favorite Kendrick joint outside of The Recipe. 

Also, we might be blessed with ANOTHER Kendrick album TOMORROW.  This is well worth the read...

It all starts here:

Kendrick Lamar’s new album Damn. dropped last night. Anticipation was high, and Kendrick’s fans reacted to the album the way the internet has taught them to: by dissecting it for clues. Clues about what?, you, a person who is merely content to have this album, might ask. Clues about another album, the internet would respond. According to a theory floating around and rapidly growing, Lamar is going to release another album this Sunday, and it’s called Nation.

Let’s back up. The theory seems to have started a few days ago with a thread in the subreddit r/Kendrick Lamar. The pervading theory is supported by the fact that today is Good Friday (a day that marks the crucifixion of Jesus in Christianity) and two days from now is Easter Sunday (a day that celebrates his resurrection from the dead). Damn + Nation = Damnation.

As with all internet conspiracy theories, the clues don’t stop there, but they do get much stranger. For example, if you combine the letters in the Damn tracklist that appear against a white wall on the album’s back cover, they make an anagram for “Earth led 2 death.” Others have speculated it’s actually an anagram for “Death 2 the leader,” but there aren’t enough E’s for that to work. And on the Damn album cover, the “M” hangs over Kendrick’s head in a way that, if you squint, could look like devil horns. If you imagine similar art for an album called Nation, the “O” could look like a halo.

•  

11 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I read the Reddit thread that this whole new album theory is based on.  I think this is just a fan theory that the Internet pounced on.  I doubt that I happens and if it does, then King Fu Kenny will have pulled off something amazing.

I'm leaning towards that as well...however, it would be something if true. 

Speaking of Kung-Fu Kenny...this man dusted off Kid Capri! 

I'm trying to catch the vibe, but it's so different from what I'm used to. Can you really put this in the same realm as, say, a Dr. Dre?  Completely different deliveries, and Kendrick Lamar seems to have a prog-hip hop thing goin'.  It's very electronica.  I can't put him in the same discussion as rap-athletes such as Tupac, Wu-Tang, the entire Bone Thug gang.  They were pure ferocity.  Among many others.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Significant. I mean I'm not really taken back by anything thought provoking or deep. 

Ive listened to Damn once thru today on way back from AC so I didn't really dissect it all and was probably distracted a bit driving but still. Point me to any of that is true maybe I'll catch it on future listens 

what separates his content from others?

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

I think he's the best rapper out right now and it isn't even really close.  There isn't a guy out there right now that has the flow and the rhymes that Kendrick does.  If you can't find anything that is significant out of him then I'm not sure what to say.

Trying to compare him to a Biggie or Tupac is like trying to compare Brady to Montana, James to Jordan or Crosby to Gretzky.

The title of this thread is about him being at the  table of all time hip hop greats. aren't those the comparisons to make? 

I dont want to die on this hill or be the anti Kendrick guy because I like him a lot and he is the best out right now and has been for a bit. I love his unique sound there isn't really anything like it. 

He has has a lot to say I just don't know that's it's very deep or has a lot of substance but that's just me. And I need more of that to put him at that table. 

There's too much to list, but TPAB and DAMN. are both VERY deep albums on a lyrical level.  There are so many subtleties intertwined that it really takes multiple listens and reading to find out the deeper meaning in many of his tracks.  As the saying goes, Kendrick is "woke."  Dude is about as socially conscious as you can get. 

6 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Never heard a song by this guy, not because I'm a underground hip hop guy, just never got around to it. I also purchase CDS  (last person on earth) and can't see spending money on his music. Lots of other albums I'd buy first.

out of curiosity, if you haven't heard a song by him, how can you accurately determine you can't see yourself spending money on his music?

5 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

out of curiosity, if you haven't heard a song by him, how can you accurately determine you can't see yourself spending money on his music?

I'm just skeptical of mainstream rap in general. It is trash to me. I heard perhaps a song once or twice. Remember being turned off by his voice.

Is this guy better than Mos Def? MF Doom? Guru? Planet Asia? Those dudes spit darts. He just doesn't seem to fit that mold of hip hop I like.

4 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I'm just skeptical of mainstream rap in general. It is trash to me. I heard perhaps a song once or twice. Remember being turned off by his voice.

Is this guy better than Mos Def? MF Doom? Guru? Planet Asia? Those dudes spit darts. He just doesn't seem to fit that mold of hip hop I like.

never been into Doom for whatever reason, i've tried so many times. I'd take Kendrick over the rest easy though

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

never been into Doom for whatever reason, i've tried so many times. I'd take Kendrick over the rest easy though

Fair enough. Doom is pretty cryptic, not for everyone. He usually has amazing beats. Madvillainy is a top 25 album all time for me.

The two best MCs ever will always be Rakim & Kool G Rap for me.