Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

13 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Putin denying and Trump accepting reminds me of the scene in Back to School when Ned Beatty asks Rodney Dangerfield if he cheated on his exams.  

The "Trump asked him about election interference, Putin denied it, they moved on" thing reminds me of a scene in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. It's near the end and they're talking to Will Farrell's cop character.

[to Jay]
Whillenholly: Hey, stop stealing monkeys.
Jay: **** you.
Whillenholly: Fair enough.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Nepotism is against the law, unfortunately we have an Attorney General who won't enforce the law. If he did, no more Ivanka and Jared in our government. 

Also, Democrats pretty silent on this. 

I have to look it up, but I think nepotism law was passed after Bobby Kennedy was appointed Attorney General. I will update when I do some research.

Update: Yes, the anti-nepotism law was passed in 1967, LBJ shepherded the bill through Congress in response to JFK's appointment of RFK as Attorney General.

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/05/508382236/trump-relatives-potential-white-house-roles-could-test-anti-nepotism-law

DOJ determined that Trump appointing Ivanka and Jared doesn't violate law. So Sessions won't enforce the law.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/jared-kushner-white-house-job-justice-department-ruling/index.html

There must be some wiggle room there as Hillary headed up the healthcare initiative during the Clinton administration. 

7 minutes ago, s0crates said:

Wait, are you saying the US and Russia are allies? 

Well, nominally, we're both fighting ISIS. (Although we both have other objectives, which are in opposition). 

Thats one one of the complications in that situation. All the people who have contradictory secondary objectives. (Secondary objectives that are actually inhibiting efforts at the "primary" objective.)

4 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Not for his true believers, he could take a dump in their hand and they'd be convinced it was the most Presidential act since the Gettysburg Address.

Make **** Great Again

~Dang

• Like 4

Two weeks after Donald J. Trump clinched the Republican presidential nomination last year, his eldest son arranged a meeting at Trump Tower in Manhattan with a Russian lawyer who has connections to the Kremlin, according to confidential government records described to The New York Times.

The previously undisclosed meeting was also attended by Mr. Trump’s campaign chairman at the time, Paul J. Manafort, as well as the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, according to interviews and the documents, which were outlined by people familiar with them.

Representatives of Donald J. Trump Jr. and Mr. Kushner confirmed the meeting after The Times approached them with information about it. In a statement, Donald Jr described the meeting as primarily about an adoption program. The statement did not address whether the presidential campaign was discussed.

Donald J. Trump Jr. had denied participating in any campaign-related meetings with Russian nationals when he was interviewed by The Times in March. “Did I meet with people that were Russian? I’m sure, I’m sure I did,” he said. “But none that were set up. None that I can think of at the moment. And certainly none that I was representing the campaign in any way, shape or form.”

Asked at that time whether he had ever discussed government policies related to Russia, the younger Mr. Trump replied, “A hundred percent no.”

No collusion, though. Just some guys really interested in adoption policies.

1 hour ago, s0crates said:

Wait, are you saying the US and Russia are allies? 

No,, if i meant allies, i'd have used "allies".

Cooperative forces is closer to it, in my mind. We have a common enemy.

To have a "cease" fire we would have had to be firing at one another to begin with, and to my knowledge there has yet to be any direct confrontations between Russian and US forces in this nasty little civil war that are not accidental. To my knowledge there is no declaration of open hostilities between Russian and US forces, and as such , declaring a 'cease fire' is what i like to call "bull**** meant to make his moronic group of mouth breathing troglodytes think Trump accomplished something". (Note Weganator;s post with the graphic intimating our biased fake news media is ignoring something important to keep his base pissed off, and convince them even further that their enemies are right here at home, nurturing a nice deep hatred of fellow Americans. And since we weren't represented in the meeting with any eyes and ears of our own, we're taking Russia's word for it as to what happened. Again. Reporting any of it as factual would be irresponsible journalism. The only fact we know is they met, the door was closed and that's it.)

But since ostensibly we are firing at the same enemy, it probably would have been a good idea to find out of THEY agreed to any sort of cease fire at all, and since they did NOT, well, all this  is yet another made up load of crap to continue to obfuscate and cloud his true relationship and goals with our historically tenacious and determined enemy. The Russians have never had any of our interests at heart, and anyone who would trust them even a little bit is a fool, and yet here we are, hoping to learn what our President and Secretary of State discussed and agreed to... from them. I'm sure we'll get the truth, because the Russians wouldn't have any reason at all to try to further drive any wedges between the American people, right?)

Propaganda bull****. Plain and simple, and frankly, ridiculously easy to spot. Again.

But, i may be wrong. It's a very confusing war. If i read Visionary's news posts right over the last year or more, there/s a lot of that "enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort of cooperation between historically opposed people in the fight against ISIS ..And i have not read today's news yet. If I am off base in how i've interpreted US and Russian involvement in Syria, i'll listen.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

@Bang Sorry, I took "cooperative forces" to be a synonym for "allies."

Anyway, I was trying to point out what seems to be a logical problem with your dismissal of the cease-fire. Either relations with Russia have been cooperative or they have not. If they have, then maybe we should stop acting like we're still fighting the Cold War, and if they have not, then a cease-fire is news.

Edited by s0crates

5 minutes ago, s0crates said:

@Bang Sorry, I took "cooperative forces" to be a synonym for "allies." Anyway, I was  trying to point out what seems to be a logical problem with your dismissal of the ceasefire news. Either relations with Russia have been cooperative or they have not. If they have, then maybe we should stop acting like we're still fighting the Cold War, and if they have not, then a ceasefire is good news.

Ceasefires are a dime a dozen and they usually don't last very long. The current ceasefire is between the regime and rebel forces in the south of Syria.  Just because we're bombing one of the same countries as Russia doesn't make us allies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, s0crates said:

@Bang Sorry, I took "cooperative forces" to be a synonym for "allies."

Anyway, I was  trying to point out what seems to be a logical problem with your dismissal of the ceasefire. Either relations with Russia have been cooperative or they have not. If they have, then maybe we should stop acting like we're still fighting the Cold War, and if they have not, then a ceasefire is news.

If you have followed what is going on in Syria you would know it has been in the grey area between the two. We have some overlapping interests wrt ISIS, and some conflicting ones wrt Assad and the resistance to Assad. Plus neither side really wants to have a war with the other, could get ugly.

5 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

If you have followed what is going on in Syria you would know it has been in the grey area between the two. We have some overlapping interests wrt ISIS, and some conflicting ones wrt Assad and the resistance to Assad. Plus neither side really wants to have a war with the other, could get ugly.

So therefore Trump's efforts at diplomacy are what? Not newsworthy? Bad?

Edited by s0crates

The adoption issue is tied directly to the Magnitsky Act that was passed in 2012, which was not received well by the Russians. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnitsky_Act

It is really amazing how Trump and his buddies are going out of their way to hear out concerns of Russian oligarchs. I wonder why?

In before the brainwashed MAGA crowd comes in screaming "FAKE NEWZZZ".

Edited by No Excuses

15 minutes ago, s0crates said:

So therefore Trump's efforts at diplomacy are bad?

He's made an effort at anything?  Okay... acting like a 9-year-old with ADHD aside...I can't think of any effort he ever put into anything.

Except stiffing contractors and employees, and suing the bank he owed money to...he clearly put an effort into keeping as much for himself and his family as he possibly could, but as far as wanting anything to do with running this country?  No. 

18 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

It is really amazing how Trump and his buddies are going out of their way to hear out concerns of Russian oligarchs. I wonder why?

Obviously out the goodness of their hearts. Nothing in exchange for getting sanctions lifted and laws repealed.

Is anyone going to defend Trump's actions with Putin? Some dude had a drive-by post about this being a leftist echo chamber. I'd really like to read a robust defense of his actions to get me out my bubble. There must be some supporters out there ready to defend your boy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

My take is it is a big noting burger served up to prove the meeting accomplished something.

I don't see how to read a move towards peace in Syria as anything but a step in the right direction, if only a small step. 

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/07/us/politics/syria-ceasefire-agreement.html?referer=http://www.bing.com/search?q=cease-fore+syria&a=results&MID=2500

U.S., Russia and Jordan Reach Deal for Cease-Fire in Part of Syria

WASHINGTON — The United States, Russia and Jordan have agreed to foster a cease-fire in a limited area of southwestern Syria that will begin at noon on Sunday, Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson said on Friday after the first face-to-face meeting between President Trump and President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia.

I doubt it will happen, but if Trump can help broker an end to the fighting in Syria, then I'll buy one of those red hats. If you're against peace just because somebody you don't like offered it, then perhaps you're too dogmatically positioned against him.

Edited by s0crates