Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jimmy Garappallo trade rumors?

carex

The Patriots are apparently looking for a first round pick for their backup QB Jimmy Garappolo.  After Matt Cassel and to a lesser extent Ryan Mallet did nothing after departing New England why would anyone be willing to pay that price?

Because who in this draft is worth a first round pick? Mallet didn't do anything worthwhile while in NE anyway. Cassel had a good year. Jimmy looked good at times. Most first round QBs don't work out anyway, at best a 50/50 proposition. If I'm a team with a mid to low end 1st round pick and do not have a worthwhile QB, why not roll the dice? Can a team like Denver wait until FA to sign Romo? Who knows, but if I'm Chicago, Jacksonville; why not take a chance? 

1 hour ago, Busch1724 said:

Because who in this draft is worth a first round pick? Mallet didn't do anything worthwhile while in NE anyway. Cassel had a good year. Jimmy looked good at times. Most first round QBs don't work out anyway, at best a 50/50 proposition. If I'm a team with a mid to low end 1st round pick and do not have a worthwhile QB, why not roll the dice? Can a team like Denver wait until FA to sign Romo? Who knows, but if I'm Chicago, Jacksonville; why not take a chance? 

most mid to late first round teams have a QB.  I don't think yo can trade until FA anyway.

And if I'm a early first round team, I don't spend my pick on someone else's backup.  Early first round means I've got more holes than QB and if I don't like any of the QBs there I pick another position

I don't think there is a team out there that's willing to give the Patriots a 1st round pick for Jimmy G. First off he did not look great last year, second Patriot backup QBs rarely show they are any good in new homes, and in his 3 year career he's only thrown 94 total passes so he's completely raw.

If your a team looking only for a QB then even Tony Homo looks better to me then this guy. Jimmy even got injured last season so he may be fragile too. I'm not feeling this guy getting traded this year

But what completely turns me off here is that Brady is 39 years old and that means the Patriots will need an heir apparent very soon (people are gonna be shocked when Brady retires next year) and if they are willing to trade Jimmy it means they must not think too highly of him to be able to take over down the line.

He only is on the books for 1 million this season and they have a ton of cap space. Sucker is not born every day so I think this is pyrite. Buyers beware

6 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

@carex Not necessarily a big deal in this case since it's likely a rumor, but when you make a thread about something being reported it's proper ES practice to cite a source somewhere within the OP. :) 

I don't have a text source, it was on ESPN First Take

10 hours ago, carex said:

The Patriots are apparently looking for a first round pick for their backup QB Jimmy Garappolo.  After Matt Cassel and to a lesser extent Ryan Mallet did nothing after departing New England why would anyone be willing to pay that price?

Because he isn't Matt Cassel. He was a legit prospect coming from college and he's looked like he's developing well in the preseason and impressed in action this year.

Not that it's the end-all/be-all or anything, but BR laid out a case I basically agree with today.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2692738-the-hype-is-real-jimmy-garoppolo-worth-the-price-of-a-1st-round-draft-pick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, carex said:

well, if they don't want to trade him why don't they just say so?

I think they really want to trade him, but this could be one of those belichek outsmarting himself things. He thinks he can fleece anyone at anytime. he's worth a 2nd, at best. 

18 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Guy at work said he thinks Browns will give #1 overall to NE for Garrappolo.  I told him he was nuts.  I cpuld see Cleveland ofgering that but dont see it being accepted.  Anyone think I'm wrong?

If Cleveland did offer that I think the Pats would take it. They're grooming their 3rd stringer to take the helm after TB12 retires. Jimmy G is expendable.

Why do you think the Pats turn that down? +

On 4/26/2017 at 0:24 PM, MassSkinsFan said:

If Cleveland did offer that I think the Pats would take it. They're grooming their 3rd stringer to take the helm after TB12 retires. Jimmy G is expendable.

Why do you think the Pats turn that down? +

Granted, it didn't happen.  But the Pats would have accepted that in a heartbeat.  Cleveland wasn't going to offer the #1 #1.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Granted, it didn't happen.  But the Pats would have accepted that in a heartbeat.  Cleveland wasn't going to offer the #1 #1.  

@TheGreatBuzz was saying he could see CLE offering, but NE turning it down. I, like you, see it being the exact opposite.

What's with CLE anyway? Looks like they're drafting smart this year. Seems to be a change.

So Jimmy gets to ride pine for another year, minus either a) Brady getting hurt, B ) Goodell finding another reason to suspend Brady for no reason, or C) an unlikely trade during training camp when somebody's starter goes down.  

And if I'm not mistaken, he's in the last year of his contract.   So next year he gets to hit the open market. Because the Pats are not going to franchise a backup QB.  

On 5/1/2017 at 4:14 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

So Jimmy gets to ride pine for another year, minus either a) Brady getting hurt, B ) Goodell finding another reason to suspend Brady for no reason, or C) an unlikely trade during training camp when somebody's starter goes down.  

And if I'm not mistaken, he's in the last year of his contract.   So next year he gets to hit the open market. Because the Pats are not going to franchise a backup QB.  

I bet the Pats are going all in this year for one last title run, and will dump Brady in '18.

Archived