Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your favorite revenge movie?

Spaceman Spiff

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Old Boy (original japanese version) deserves a special mention because of the hammer scene.  Y'all know the one.

Korean, actually.  Also deserves special mention in regards to the thread title seeing as it's not just a revenge movie, but a revenge movie wrapped in a revenge movie.

What about The Last House On The Left? (I've only seen the remake)

I thought it was gonna be a horror movie.  It starts really dark, and not in a cartoony kind of way.  But then takes a satisfying turn towards vengeance.

How could i forget?!  Revenge movies? How about the actual film titled "Vengeance?"  Saw it years ago. A Frenchman's daughter and grandchildren are brutally murdered.   seeking justice, he teams up with a Chinese hit squad, and together they chase bad guys all over China in an ULTRA-violent revenge thriller. 91% on Rotten.  It's mandatory viewing.  awesome movie.

15 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Watching John Wick tonight.  I remember the first time I saw it, I thought it was going to be a piece of ****...and then realized it was going to be amazing once they killed his dog.  THEY KILLED HIS DOG.  And then he went on a tremendous rampage.  Might not be my favorite revenge film, but it's up there.

Other mentions:  Gladiator, Leon: the Professional, Taken, Kill Bill.

Yours?

Easily Death Wish

5 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Lucky Number Slevin is a great slow burn leading up to a beautiful reveal of an elaborate revenge plot. Also currently available on Netflix streaming.

I just happened on this movie several years ago. Fantastic movie and I watch it whenever it comes on. Great movie.

For older folks, the Last House On The Left (original) was a great revenge film.  

1 hour ago, btfoom said:

For older folks, the Last House On The Left (original) was a great revenge film.  

I believe that.  I need to watch more Alfred Hitch****.  The remake was pretty good in its own right (with a couple Breaking Bad cast members in it), but I'm interested to see how the original was.

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

The Shawshank Redemption

So, I still have problems pronouncing your name (my dad nails it every time), but this was a very interesting post.

I love this movie, to the point that it is one of my favorite all time movies.

I had never thought of it as a revenge movie, as I had always looked at the redemption part of it.

Thank you very much for letting me see a movie I've seen literally 100+ times, in a new light.  

1 minute ago, btfoom said:

So, I still have problems pronouncing your name (my dad nails it every time), but this was a very interesting post.

I love this movie, to the point that it is one of my favorite all time movies.

I had never thought of it as a revenge movie, as I had always looked at the redemption part of it.

Thank you very much for letting me see a movie I've seen literally 100+ times, in a new light.  

The revenge was almost an afterthought.  "Oh, could you put this with your outgoing mail?"

12 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I believe that.  I need to watch more Alfred Hitch****.  The remake was pretty good in its own right (with a couple Breaking Bad cast members in it), but I'm interested to see how the original was.

Very dark and graphic.  It is a very much quintessential  revenge movie as it goes from the act, to the coming together, and finally to the revenge.  As with the 70's type of movies, it isn't everyone's cup of tea as it is very raw and 'right in your face'.

1 minute ago, btfoom said:

Very dark and graphic.  It is a very much quintessential  revenge movie as it goes from the act, to the coming together, and finally to the revenge.  As with the 70's type of movies, it isn't everyone's cup of tea as it is very raw and 'right in your face'.

That description matches the remake, too.  Very mixed reactions from critics, too.  Some can't appreciate the sheer violence in the movie both from the act and the revenge.  I suspect the issue they have is how real it felt rather than the over-the-top violence you get in action movies or the likes of Saw.  I know I was uncomfortable during the act, but isn't that how you should feel?

7 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Charles Bronson movies.

I got to your post thinking, man, I can't believe the OG of modern era revenge movies hadn't been mentioned: CB in Death Wish. Too bad they made all those cheesy sequels.

He did another awesome one called Mr. Majestyk that I highly recommend you guys find.

39 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Strangers on a Train.

That movie is my favorite Hitch**** flick.  So good.

25 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

He did another awesome one called Mr. Majestyk that I highly recommend you guys find.

Liked that one too.

Gotta think Once Upon a Time in the West would fit the revenge genre too.  The opening sequence is amazing.  Bad Henry Fonda was a bad mofo.

Archived