Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

So now we can reasonably expect a LTD soon after the meeting with Schaeffer. I believe almost everything will be set up by then.

Now can you guys stop with that RG3 talk? That's getting annoying. Pretty sure mods are monitoring this closely but it would be better if they didn't had to.

This is just a language complaint. I've heard many people say that by offering Kirk two franchise tags in a row that he lacks long term security. I get what they are saying, but to me it is simply inaccurate. 45 million in the bank is long term security. It is wont of nothing unless you get ripped off, robbed, or are really, really stupid. Now, it is fair to say that he doesn't have long term job security or no long term deal, but the short hand "Kirk has no long term security" just bugs me.

His security and his kids security is well-established. They are set for life no matters what happens from here on out.

10 hours ago, PigskinRedskin said:

Hey, do you have a link to the interview? Sorry, didn't come across it.

No, it was a satellite radio interview, Sirrius. To double down some on those points, Chris Russell was on last night.  He talked about the exclusive tag some and I exchanged some tweets with him.  He said he has a reliable source with the team on this.  His take from that source is the exchanges between Kirk's agent and the team have been amicable.  No animosity on either side.  He agreed that Kirk would be happy to stay and isn't looking for a way out albeit Kyle-SF is intriguing.  But the two sides are apart right now on the money figure and by a sizable amount.  

Having said that McCartney played up the Schaffer meeting coming up so hopefully they close the gap, then.  If the team is willing to pay 24 million on a short term deal, I'd presume and hope they'd carry that forward on a long term deal.

36 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Lits of guys that went broke after their nfl career is long. Kirk doesn't seem To belong in it but who knows?

Can he do us a Chris Borland type of move next year? I doubt it.

Well, then no contract could ever offer long term security. I just think the language is clumsy. 

2 minutes ago, grego said:

there are no words. 

There have been a whole lot of words. Many of them even true. ;)

(I won't get into the RGIII thing here because it really has no place and is silly... ah, but what might have been though were it not for a whole lot of factors including health, confidence, RGIII himself, and coaching/coaching decisions)

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Well, then no contract could ever offer long term security. I just think the language is clumsy. 

A guy that works for me was just blessed with an inheritance.  A $10M trust that is set up to pay all his taxes and pay out $20,000 a month until he is in his 80's.  Knowing how frugal Kirk is (conversion van) I'd bet he was already set up for life after the $19M contract he got last year!

I'm sure his agent wants to establish himself but for Kirk this is about a commitment from the team and validation as the team leader.  He has already said that he would renegotiate later if his contract was holding the team back from winning.  Don't know why everyone glosses over that fact. 

21 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It is not a ponzi scheme lol  

If you think they need to address the FT rules and make changes in the next CBA, fine.  But the current system in place was accepted and signed off on by the owners and players association.  Kirk is only doing what he is allowed to do, just like the team is.  

I'm not suggesting the system is flawed. I'm trying to highlight how KC is actually BENEFITTING from it. The system is designed well to benefit either side. But one side certainly can get burnt if they didn't choose wisely.

In this scenario, it's the Redskins. If he plays this season on the exclusive tag, which I would if I were Kirk, he has enormous leverage next season for contract negotiations with the Redskins.

His starting point is 34 mil I understand. Every LTD they offer at that point has to be weighed against a 34 mil dollar valuation for 1 year, makes a difference. 

The FO thinks its buying time with these moves, but its digging a bigger hole. If KC would have flopped last year, than the tag would have benefitted the team.

When utilized like this, management has cornered itself into a Ponzi scheme

4 minutes ago, Gizmo 3squire said:

Out of curiosity when did he say this? 

I can't find the exact quotes, but I have heard him say that several times over the last few years.

6 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I'm not suggesting the system is flawed. I'm trying to highlight how KC is actually BENEFITTING from it. The system is designed well to benefit either side. But one side certainly can get burnt if they didn't choose wisely.

Edit 

The FO thinks its buying time with these moves, but its digging a bigger hole. If KC would have flopped last year, than the tag would have benefitted the team.

When utilized like this, management has cornered itself into a Ponzi scheme

We need to separate Kirk taking a different approach to the FT and the team making a mistake. First and foremost the story is not over. And all indications are that they both want to work out a long term deal. Not sure why people keep ignoring what's actually said in favor of conjecture and filling in what they would do if they were him. Second, all other players have approached the tag as a curse to long term stability. Kirk decided to take it another direction. Good for him. That does not mean the team made a mistake. They both seem content with the direction this is going. In the end as long as Kirk is here the only thing it's costing them is some more of Dan Snyder's money. With the CAP going up and the other smart decision they have made to give themselves lot's of CAP room, it's virtually insignificant.

@Wildbunny made this statement before but I want to restated it because it's so accurate: Last year when Denver was going through this with Von Miller and there were some very nasty comments back and forth including Von stating unequivocally he would sit out and the team saying they just can't pay what he is asking, they were just shrew and smart. The Redskins do the same but IMO much more professionally - at least so far - and they are idiots and made a huge error in calculation and are again nothing but dysfunctional. Double standard anyone?

54 minutes ago, Gizmo 3squire said:

Out of curiosity when did he say this? 

"Frankly, once you sign the contract, there's no law saying you can’t renegotiate," the quarterback said. "If you sign the deal and you end up coming away from two seasons saying, ‘Hey, you know, not only did we not win but I think the reason is it’s I’m taking too much,’ then you can always talk about changing that. But I don’t see a need to do that on the front end."

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/kirk-cousins-contract-talks-im-not-trying-suck-out-every-dollar-possible

43 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I can't find the exact quotes, but I have heard him say that several times over the last few years.

We need to separate Kirk taking a different approach to the FT and the team making a mistake. First and foremost the story is not over. And all indications are that they both want to work out a long term deal. Not sure why people keep ignoring what's actually said in favor of conjecture and filling in what they would do if they were him. Second, all other players have approached the tag as a curse to long term stability. Kirk decided to take it another direction. Good for him. That does not mean the team made a mistake. They both seem content with the direction this is going. In the end as long as Kirk is here the only thing it's costing them is some more of Dan Snyder's money. With the CAP going up and the other smart decision they have made to give themselves lot's of CAP room, it's virtually insignificant.

I don't suggest the story is over. But, we can conjecture on negotiation tactics. 

The 1 year tag benefits the organizations clearly IMO. However, it usually is a gamble in some shape, form or fashion. So, if the player performs at or above perceived market value, usually organization loses. Generally they cut losses with LTD or release.

Now, the back to back tag is rarified air. This is clearly all PLAYER benefit. Most LTD's in league have guarantees that generally equal a 3 year deal. With this tag KC is 2/3 of way there and sitting on MEGA contract at end of year if Skins want a guarantee he will be on team. 

The uncertainty of injury is the only potential negative return. Consider ACL, if early in season KC plays 2018 and will certainly get a 18-20 mil deal somewhere. If late in season, probably same or slightly less. Add those vales to the 44 mil he generated over this year and last, all good and certainly not a curse.

Lastly, the cap is going up and we do have room. Like really???? WTF, just sign this guy. Frankly, he's earned it

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

There have been a whole lot of words. Many of them even true. ;)

(I won't get into the RGIII thing here because it really has no place and is silly... ah, but what might have been though were it not for a whole lot of factors including health, confidence, RGIII himself, and coaching/coaching decisions)

Seriously?  When I think what might have been if not for Mike S pulling the trigger on Cousins I get freaked out, especially when I think we would had paid RGIII 16 million, most likely he gets hurt again so his fan boys Synder and some guys in here want another LTD so he can prove what the rest of us know.  Gruden is also probably gone by now because he "couldn't" help our star QB develop. 

Nah, my might have been has to do with RGIII's second year. He clearly was not ready to play. He was rusty as hell with no offseason or preseason games, his body was not ready by the way he moved, his confidence was seriously shaken. Coach should never have put him on the field. He wasn't ready to play or to yield. If they were smarter in that regard or if they had pulled him from the playoff game when he was clearly ineffective and horribly hobbled... then maybe he could have evolved into what we hoped for.

More than likely not, but maybe.

Still, as I said... this isn't the thread for that conversation. Heck, it's not even the year for that. That story is over an buried.

2 minutes ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

Adam Schefter didn't seem too confident that we want to or are gonna want to put down enough money to want to sign him. That was on 980 this morning. Basically he had a very pessimistic outlook on it for the pro long term deal people.

Who cares what he thinks.  His random opinion is just as valid as anyone on this board.  It's 100% speculation at this point.  Look how wrong all of the speculation was about KC and his agent just based off of what his agent said on Sirius radio yesterday.

And sorry I just don't like Adam Schefter so it struck a nerve lol.

2 minutes ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

Adam Schefter didn't seem too confident that we want to or are gonna want to put down enough money to want to sign him. That was on 980 this morning. Basically he had a very pessimistic outlook on it for the pro long term deal people.

That's impression that I got listening to Ian Rap. on NFL Network.  It sounded more like a 1 year rental than a LTD.  We shall see how it plays out but if not a LTD with us or a trade then Skins brass fail again.

Something of interest to only me.   Cousins is set to be paid $44 million for two years of work.  NFL agents are limited to 3% commission so McCartney gets paid $1.32 million of that.  Federal and Virginia State taxes take about another $20 million.  This leaves Cousins with $22.7 million 'in the bank' after two years.  Financial Advisors say to expect 5-7% ROI so Cousins could retire after 2017 and live off of $1.1-1.6 million a year till he dies without even depleting that orginal $22.7 million.   The whole purpose of this is that knowing that Cousins lives humbly and frugally and is not one of those dumb jocks that squanders their wealth and end up broke....this is not about looking for security anymore but more about respect.  Most if not all high-level athletes have a ego that motivates them to achieve the highest position they can.  If the Redskins were willing to throw $15 million a year, $50 million guarantee to a CB without blinking, knowing that quarterback is the single hardest position in all sports to excel at, then they should be willing to spend far more than that to keep Cousins.  Norman was shown respect by the Redskins when the Panthers dumped him.  Cousins repeatedly has made it known that he wants to be where he is wanted which translates to respected.  Now it's time for Redskins to choose between being wise with how they spend their salary cap after a history of bad contracts under Snyder....or paying Cousins what he might be seeking as a good faith gesture of respect.  I personally see his contract demands as being greater than Luck's because Cousins has outplayed him the past two years and Cousins seems to be the type that will continue to get better with time.  5 years, $125 million. $35 million signing bonus.  $90 million guaranteed.

15 minutes ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

Not directed at you - but this is just the media guys doubling down on their personal impressions. Again, not directed at you, but I find is interesting how many people ignore the comments of the people in the room - McCartney at this point.  @Skinsinparadise posted actual statements from Kirk's agent. Reposted since it's buried a few pages back. So should we believe Kirk's agent and Rich Tandler or the NFL media?

Just listened to Mike McCartney, Kirk's agent on Sirrius.  Highlights:

Kirk likes playing for the Redskins and McCartney said something to the effect of ideally he wants to stay in Washington

Redskins sending a message by giving him the exclusive tag -- shows they think he's a franchise guy

The 24 million tag sets his value

He has had exchanges with the Redskins, negotiations have been going on back and forth and its been positive

He is going to meet with Eric Schaffer this week to talk some more

He was asked if they are thinking about trade -- he said not at all, and ditto when he and Kirk talk, being traded not part of conversation

Edit:  I see Tandler's post above about talking to Schaffer next week, thought he said this week but maybe misheard it.  We've had conversations here about guessing the mood of Kirk and his agent.  Listening to McCartney talk -- the vibe he gives off is they will get this done, he seemed upbeat about it.   Throwing some love at the Redskins -- implying the process has been smooth, he likes dealing with Schaffer, Kirk likes being a Redskins, etc.  I still think though they need to hit at least that 24 million mark.  McCartney more or less said that the 24 million sets his value, they asked him about Luck's contract and McCartney said its relevant to today's QB market along with the cap rising.     

If I had to pull one definitive point about that interview is the idea that Kirk can't wait to get out of town is utter nonsense.

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Just listened to Mike McCartney, Kirk's agent on Sirrius.  Highlights:

He was asked if they are thinking about trade -- he said not at all, and ditto when he and Kirk talk, being traded not part of conversation

Paging  @MikeJonesWaPo @JerryBrewer  @MikeWiseguy @MoveTheSticks  @JReidESPN please pick up the red courtesy phone 

These numskulls opined that Kirk wanted a trade to the 49ers due to the dysfunction in Ashburn. One even said there's a "greater than 50% chance" kirk is traded during the combine. Keep up the good work fellas, your reporting is excellent. 

Aws2q6D.gif

Archived