Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

5 minutes ago, TK said:

LTD is next. 

If I'm the Redskins, here's what I do:

Start hammering out the LTD and listen to offers. If I'm blown away, like two 1sts and a 3rd type blown away, maybe I trade. But I doubt I will be. What's more likely is I lock up Kirk and then figure out what I'm gonna do with Pierre and DeSean leaving!

5 minutes ago, KokoMike said:

The Redskins have done everything for Cousins to make him successful, to make him wealthy, to set his family and him up financially for life, and to set him up for a great future in the NFL.

Except...you know...signing him to a fair, market value, long-term deal. This is the only thing that matters now to prevent a divorce between Cousins and the franchise in the future. 

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Start hammering out the LTD and listen to offers. If I'm blown away, like two 1sts and a 3rd type blown away, maybe I trade. But I doubt I will be. What's more likely is I lock up Kirk and then figure out what I'm gonna do with Pierre and DeSean leaving!

I'd resign Desean and let Garçon walk. Garçon is replaceable.

5 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

PLEASE be right!  I'm the one who took down Amazon web services to prevent being disappointed by reading bad news on this board.

Dear NSA:  No, I didn't actually do that.  Stop bugging my phone.

Saw a tweet that said something like only 17 times has a player been given the exclusive franchise tag, and only 4 of those times did the player end up playing under that tag for the season--meaning, the rest were signed to LTD. Don't know if that's true but if so, an exclusive FT leads to a LTD 75% of the time.

You got to remember that this is still a business deal and the Redskins are still acting in their best interest. I think this Tag is in the right direction.

They know have time to hammer out a LTD and know where to be around thanks to the tag. Cousins knows he's wanted by getting the tag and is guaranteed ~$24 million to play next year which is great for him. The Redskins then say, alright let's get this LTD done with him but if someone comes at us with multiple 1st Round Picks, we'd be stupid to not at least entertain the option.

It's just business and I don't think he'd be traded, I think 49ers would rather use this year to build their team with all their picks and if the Redskins fail to lock him up, Cousins has a even higher chance of being a FA next season where they have a young team ready for him to take over.

I think this is a good sign that a LTD is to come. Cousins is at least locked in, he knows he's getting paid, Redskins know where to start number-wise with the negotiation and they have time. Sure, sooner is better due to Draft (if they need to get a QB or not), etc but at least deadline isn't till July 15th.

That's how I see it, who knows if I am right. 

4 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

PLEASE be right!  I'm the one who took down Amazon web services to prevent being disappointed by reading bad news on this board.

Skins will get a deal done.  If not, ship his Riverdale dwarf lovin' ass to SF. :P

Thanks for crashing the site today.  Being without ES today for an extended period made me realize how pathetic my life is.  I needed to be humbled.  Thanks, brother. :cheers:

I'm glad this happened.  Let's see what the draft brings.  If anyone is so insane as to offer us what we gave for RG3 (almost laugh thinking about it), I say take it.  If not, let's beef up the D and then let Kirk prove he's worth it.  If he gets us close to the NFCCG, I say sign him to a serious contract.  Otherwise, he has to come back to earth with his expectations.

Well this is going the way i predicted - by using the exclusive tag it is saying - we really want you here (regardless to how the media want to spin this) it takes some (not all of the chatter away from the trade talks) and puts the power back with the team - 

Kirk can refuse to sign the tag but he cannot talk with other teams (unless they want to go the tampering route - as positively advocated by PFT) ... now it is in the teams interest to get the LTD deal done - something that was not a driver last season... 

worst case scenario is we have Kirk an extra year while we solidify plan B.... . 

I also remember in a rare interview Bill Bilichick (years ago) him once saying no player is untradable - and that included Tom Brady - so this idea that if someone came in with an RGIII type deal is a slight to KC because its not - if someone offered the sun and the stars you have to listen, 

1 minute ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I still think Kurt gets traded.    The non exclusive tag and these reports that the Skins need to be "blown away" by an offer is a bargaining tool....Skins don't have much leverage, so they are trying to use everything they can to make it seem like they will keep Kurt.

I don't know about trading Kurt, but they aren't trading Kirk.  Seriously, WTF is Kurt and why do so many Redskins fans keep bringing the guy up?

At this point, any team would be absolutely stupid to give up anything for Cousins because they know they can get him after this season without giving up anything if the Redskins don't give him a LTD.

23 minutes ago, TK said:

False.

Amazon's S3 issue broke ES & half the net about an hour before the Cousins announcement was made. 

Are you telling us that you willingfully crashed Amazon S3 to protect ES?

Well played Sir!:evil:

Now, can you please tell them to not do it again during our annual ES GM mock draft party please? That could be worse than deflategate as some guys would have a longer time to make their picks. That's breaking the spirit of rules...

That being said, it really looked like the site crashed after the news to me. I was getting ready to subscribe to twitter to tell him to NOT sign during our mock draft. Before, after, fine, but not during it! lol

21 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Knee slapper stuff by Brewer. I could name about 10 ES posters in 5 seconds who deserve to be employed as journalists before this Brewer character.

I was about to try to play the game. But in fact no, it would take me more than 5 seconds. Still trying:

TSO

Bang

Goskins

Skinsinparadise

Haps

KDawg

Burgold

Rufus

Califan

Warhead36

Zoony

Jumbo

I'm probably leaving tons of them outside of this list. Jumbo and Zoony mostly because it would be fun to read them, especially Jumbo, even though I hardly understand 10% of his posts most of the time.

10 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Dear NSA:  No, I didn't actually do that.  Stop bugging my phone.

That's poor defense mate. Did you learn to play Defense under Jim H. and Joe B.?

4 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i want to continue to recognize koko mike as we long have for being a special case

did you know that it you put bobandweave, witt333, and koko mike together you get Westbrook36?

don't try that at home

I did...

Now I'm having a headache...

19 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I wouldn't take 2 firsts and a 3rd for KC.  I mean how is that going to help them right now?  They will still have absolutely no quarterback and will be back in the QB circus we've been in for the past 2 decades.

No one's giving us an RG3 deal for Cousins. At the most, MAYBE the Niners would swap first rounders with us and throw in a later round pick. But even that I doubt. The Redskins are going to get screwed either way, it's just a matter of figuring out how to get screwed the least at this point thanks to their total lack of foresight in this situation. This whole thing has been handled terribly. I don't know if there's even a precedent for it. If there is, there shouldn't be. 

That said, if he refuses a LTD and wants to play one more year with us and then hit the open market, I say trade him. I do not want to spend next season watching a lame duck QB, not to mention we'd be in the ridiculous situation of almost wanting the guy to implode. Hopefully a LTD gets signed that we can barely live with. 

Kirk is showing he's going to try and twist as much money out of us or someone else as possible.  There won't be a contract as a redskin that doesn't hamper our attempt to make serious moves on defense with letting people leave.  I'll always have a bad taste in my mouth because of this, almost 3ant him gone now.  He doesn't want to be a redskin, he jus wants to get paid

6 hours ago, arftech said:

It's to the point where I don't care if he stays or leaves and I'm not going to waste any further energy about the matter.

Hail Em Up!

oh i see, all of their posturing has worn thin. man you must be exhausted. maybe you can take a little nappy nap in your special make believe bed to go along with all of the imaginary BS thats got you all tuckered out.

Just now, purbeast said:

I wouldn't take 2 firsts and a 3rd for KC.  I mean how is that going to help them right now?  They will still have absolutely no quarterback and will be back in the QB circus we've been in for the past 2 decades.

That was just a hypothetical, didn't think too hard about it. Point is, FO strategy should be to hammer out a deal while listening to offers. If somebody offers something you feel you can't refuse, bye bye Kirk, otherwise enjoy your stay Kirk!

Archived