Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

The Washington post and Yahoo sports and whomever the hell else wants to write articles about how dysfunctional this franchise is can go to hell. We've seen dysfunction, this situation has absolutely nothing to do with that. 

We have 10 draft choices, young talent, loads of cap space and no terrible contracts on the books. A young headcoach who's built one of the leagues best offenses and a GM who is far from a clown. Boswell can call this dysfunction all he wants but this all could've been avoided had Kirk not played poorly in the last three games of the year. 

Kirk is far from innocent in this situation. He's being painted the victim but he's just as much at fault as the team is. He's been far too up and down for the team to feel comfortable enough to make him the highest paid player in the league. At least in my opinion that's what's going on. 

17 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

The Washington post and Yahoo sports and whomever the hell else wants to write articles about how dysfunctional this franchise is can go to hell. We've seen dysfunction, this situation has absolutely nothing to do with that. 

We have 10 draft choices, young talent, loads of cap space and no terrible contracts on the books. A young headcoach who's built one of the leagues best offenses and a GM who is far from a clown. Boswell can call this dysfunction all he wants but this all could've been avoided had Kirk not played poorly in the last three games of the year. 

Kirk is far from innocent in this situation. He's being painted the victim but he's just as much at fault as the team is. He's been far too up and down for the team to feel comfortable enough to make him the highest paid player in the league. At least in my opinion that's what's going on. 

Thank you for this post Taylor. 

This KC stuff is getting old.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Pick 17th + Kirk for Gabbert + 2nd?

That looks like a bad trade for us...

I was kidding with all this commotion (swap our 17th for their 2nd Kirk for Kaep) :silly:. I hope we're going to do the right things here.

13 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

I agree with the first 2 paragraphs 100%. My disagreement with the last is more that I do not think there is a victim at all. This is a negotiation. Until a date actually passes there is no reason to believe the team and Kirk are not feverishly working towards an agreement. The fans and media are picking their side and painting the other side as being a problem. To me this is actually very normal. I even see it as a positive.

The reasons for a LTD are obvious. For the team, they would like to avoid the tag and have the QB position locked down for the next few years. For Kirk, yes he can play the tag game but there is much less stability. Also, if he get's injured it changes everything.

But these types of negotiations go down to the wire. Deadlines force action. I know people are getting hysterical and assuming the worst (human nature when you don't know), but to me these are actually good signs. If this was really that contentious, there would be tangible leaks as the two sides maneuver to set the narrative when things fall apart. The fact that there has been absolute silence means to me they both want to get the deal done and will be working to the last minute to try and get there.

It seems many are borrowing trouble. We will have some verifiable facts tomorrow at the latest. Even then, if he gets the tag, it just means they could not reach agreement yet. The ultimate deadline is July 15th. May be a really long time for some of you.

Only the Skins could screw something up like this so badly. Gotta love our organization. 

Searching for a QB for what the last 20 years? Willing to trade tons of picks for the opportunity to draft guys with potential.

Now we finally have a QB who hasn't even reached his prime and is setting all sorts of records and we are gonna play games with him.

We deserve what is going to happen when he leaves next season. We will be stuck with McCoy and some bum we drafted hoping to develop while all the money we go out and spend on the D this year will just waste away.

The Redskin way!  

40 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

While i think they have set themselves up for problems with the Kirk contract, i don't think they are problems that can't be overcome.

The "dysfunction" is entirely due to the lack of any tangible information .. one way or another.

I am pessimistic about getting a LTD, but watching this town's media twist itself over and around inserting scenarios and speculations over why they DON'T KNOW this or they DON'T KNOW that is a stark reminder to me as to what is one of the contributing factors of any dysfunction of this team, and it's that the media in this town is toxic.

In the absence of info, they have spun this thing into nothing but doom and gloom with absolutely nothing concrete to go by.

Have the Redskins announced they are open to trade? Have they suggested they are looking to make a rade?
Far as I know, the only solid thing the team has said is they want him back , and he's going to be here. (At the Pro Bowl, i think.)

I can't blame Kirk.. he has all the leverage, and he would be irresponsible to himself if he didn't get his maximum value.  It's a rare situation for a man to be in, and he should use it to his advantage.  The "team friendly" aspects of the deal are up to the Redskins. There's no victims here. It's business, plain and simple. I don't think either side is trying to rip the other side off. I think Kirk asking for his value is reasonable, and I think the team trying to maybe get a little savings and looking for ways to fit it is also reasonable.

Get it done, and hush the jackals up again.

~Bang

1 hour ago, sebestian said:

I am starting to think trade this guy. 4th Rd pick makes have decent and he is telling everyone what to do. I understand leverage and I understand he is good.  Considering we throw the ball every down. He would be better with a running game of course but he would not have those stats. The guy that has to go is that so called head coach how looks lost like he can't ring his way around town and is pulled over looking lost. 

To Kirk. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

I heard the the miners do not want to trade because they have too many other needs yet we are supposed to break the bank for an average qb, and has great leverage because the Redskins have not been able to get a qb that was at least reasonably good. 

See eek you later. Have fun out west. Gimme that draft pick/picks. I sign Zeitler or Leary in the first minute of free agency then I also get not ask the niners for E. Reed.  The trade is E. Reed and 1st Rd pick or the Niners can draft Tub steak sandwich or Keizer bun or elementary Watson and become the Browns of the east. 

I look and and listen to KC recently more and the more I want him gone. Like I said give a running back and our line plus a real left guard and smash everybody. Football is not a completcated game.

Furthermore I do not want this guy as the skins qb

Screaming at your boss on national TV.  PLEASE BYE BYE!!

Not to mention our head coach is in SF right now. I am tired of this ineptitude. 

Good lord did you hear there was a sudden opening? Nothing has happened, Kirk has said nothing. Don't let rampant imagination fueled by silence and lack of activity dictate your position.

To everyone complaining about Cousins, it's YOU, picture yourself with one MAYBE two chances at securing the vast majority of your career pay....Wouldn't you be careful? Wouldn't you want the absolute maximum that was deemed fair? In real life most football careers are a blink of the eye, they must get what they can when they can. Some seem to realize this when discussing, oh I don't know, anyone BUT Cousins. 

To anyone suggesting Kirk owes us a home town discount, grow up. This isn't the 70s, that crap ended with FA and mega money (just like the relevance of the pro bowl). Would you take a pay decrease when a rival company made you a better offer, simply because some current customers or fans liked your previous work? NO you wouldn't and if married your spouse would probably light you up for at minimum not considering it. 

The reality of the current situation......

Void, the big nothing....

Hello, it's us Skins fans, anyone there? Please say something. 

Silence

We SAID helloooooooooo, say something NOW

Crickets

Fine, then you better DO something...soon

Stillness

Media witch awakens, stirs pot of bull****

WE KNEW IT, the sky is falling and on fire...alas woe is us

say something, you've seen the bait, FALL for it and say ANYTHING

Yawn

That's IT you didn't do what we wanted so were gonna cry and show our 

mighty anger by demanding beheadings, immediately. Some action is 

better than continuing to wait AND no matter the ramifications we can

just blame the FO and use more imaginary bull**** as evidence later. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

I swear, some people need to get out more and get some real **** to worry about. As for our one and only football team, I'll wait until something actually occurs.

If he wont sign a LTD with anyone but SF it proves its not about winning for him. 

There is nothing in SF but Kyle Shannahan. Literally nothing. And if people think hes gonna be a good HC out of the gate cause he can draw up an offense then you haven't watched his predecessors. With that ownership and the talent there....he lasts 3 years MAX. Less if they pay Kirk the world and fail out of the gate. 

14 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

man I just hope we get something nice in return. 

At this point, that's what I'm resigned to also. 

I don't agree with moving him unless they know he won't sign here. But, if McCloughan somehow pulls this off**** then he will be cemented as a genius. 

*** For reference, "pulls this off" would mean that he gets compensation back for Cousins, builds a more balanced team with the financial savings, and we have a QB who can put up something close to what Cousins has over the past couple years (4,000+ yards, 20+ TDs, etc.). If all those things happen with an improved D while Cousins goes somewhere else and doesn't absolutely blow up, then this would be the feather in Scot's cap. 

If Keim's tweet above is true everyone can stop blaming the Skins FO for this... I'm not buying into any media garbage at this point, but in a way it'd be nice for this to be true so everyone realizes this situation is on Kirk. I'm talking to you Veryoldschool and STRealLightsOut... 

After following this situation for the last year and speaking with multiple sources familiar with the negotiations, this much is unequivocal: If Washington had offered Cousins a multiyear deal last offseason that included $44 million guaranteed and base salaries of $20 million, he would have taken it. Anyone who says otherwise (on either side of this negotiation) is either lying or trying to rewrite history with alternative facts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/this-is-how-badly-the-washington-redskins-have-financially-botched-things-with-kirk-cousins-010853506.html

This is the first I have seen in terms of numbers. 

If the Skins didnt offer Kirk 20 per last offseason and only offered in the 16 range ..... gosh ****ing damnit redskins. If true, this would explain Kirk's position. 20 mil per was reasonable imo. Sure, 18.5 or so would have been great but ..... damn. 

2 minutes ago, CTskin said:

If Keim's tweet above is true everyone can stop blaming the Skins FO for this... I'm not buying into any media garbage at this point, but in a way it'd be nice for this to be true so everyone realizes this situation is on Kirk. I'm talking to you Veryoldschool and STRealLightsOut... 

I believe Keim's tweet is saying that Kirk if traded would only sign a LTD with the 49ers.

I don't believe it but if it were true, it would be so Redskins. After carelessly squandering resources on Deion and Bruce Smith and Archuletta and Randel-El and Hayneworth and McNabb and Jason Taylor and Robert Griffin and on and on and on, we're going to let a franchise QB leave because he's too expensive....

Oh and to the people who want to paint Kirk as a bad guy in this situation, take the fact that we are Redskins fans and personally invested in this team out of the equation. You know that in real life these organizations, owners, and the NFL in general are not the good guys when it comes to their negotiations with the players.

Just now, CTskin said:

I don't see any evidence whatsoever that this franchise has operated poorly since Shanahan has left. I honestly think the media is frustrated because they aren't being filtered all of the teams business. 

5 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

After following this situation for the last year and speaking with multiple sources familiar with the negotiations, this much is unequivocal: If Washington had offered Cousins a multiyear deal last offseason that included $44 million guaranteed and base salaries of $20 million, he would have taken it. Anyone who says otherwise (on either side of this negotiation) is either lying or trying to rewrite history with alternative facts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/this-is-how-badly-the-washington-redskins-have-financially-botched-things-with-kirk-cousins-010853506.html

This is the first I have seen in terms of numbers. 

If the Skins didnt offer Kirk 20 per last offseason and only offered in the 16 range ..... gosh ****ing damnit redskins. If true, this would explain Kirk's position. 20 mil per was reasonable imo. Sure, 18.5 or so would have been great but ..... damn. 

$20M a year for Kirk last year would've been completely ridiculous. Yes he played well to finish the season but he was also very close to being benched against Tampa. The Redskins did the correct thing.

A team with a horrible history of handing out monster contracts finally becoming somewhat responsible is not dysfunction. He's obviously worth whatever someone is willing to pay him but the team has to protect themselves as well. You do not want to end up in a Osweiler/Flacco/Cutler situation. 

10 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Well isn't that a convenient little tidbit to leave out!  LOL  Hmmm.. Accidental or intentional? That is the question. If I am following correctly, the big news is that if traded Kirk will be willing to sign LTD with the 49ers. Much ago about nothing, right? Facts come out tomorrow. Anything until then is just conjecture until one of the principals actually sways something.

But it's kind of fun watching peoples heads explode over well, nothing. :chair:   

Just transition tag him and let him find out what his market value is. Then match it. Or franchise him this year and do it next year. If Kirk doesnt want to sign a long term deal here. Too bad. We still control his rights for the foreseeable future. I would prefer they transition him this year because the Rams are out of the bidding this year. But I could live with next year as well. If the team has made what they consider a fair offer and he turns it down. They either have to do the above options or trade him. 

1 minute ago, petedaddy said:

You also do not want to end up in our current situation when there was opportunity to avoid it

Kirk was ecstatic to sign the tag last year and then prove he was worth a LTD... Don't forget, a lot of people on this board weren't on board with paying Kirk $20M/yr; there were a lot of questions with him that even the biggest Kirk supporters couldn't deny. Now that hindsight is 20/20, everyone's coming out of the woodwork saying what a mistake it was.

Archived