Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Very

Got this from a Jets fan:

Not the player he was 5 years ago ( and even then, he was poor in coverage) but he can absolutely still play on early downs as an interior thumper.  And by all accounts a world class locker room guy

Sounds like we wouldn't get much we aren't already getting from Foster.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Got this from a Jets fan:

Sounds like we wouldn't get much we aren't already getting from Foster.

You're right. Still though, leading tacklers from the Jets and Bills in the middle? Pretty tempting. I like old MLBs lol. I was high on Timmons this off-season. Be great if we had young guys behind them too, but nope.

Yeah I liked Timmons as well. I didn't ever think we'd have a shot at Brown so I'm happy, he was on my wish list. But I'll take another vet ILB for competition too. He probably goes to one of the teams we beat out for Brown--Raiders and Dolphins I think. Raiders especially are really hurting at LB.

The comp pick system is broken nonsense. It operates on some secret formula that no one knows about. Already knowing the shady colluding back room handshake deals the NFL has committed in the past, I find it hard to trust a secret formula that seems to benefit select teams every offseason.

That article is garbage. It should have listed each team's losses/additions as well as each player's respective salaries. According to the article, the Ravens' 3rd round comp pick looks even more undeserved than it actually is.

Aside from that, I can't disagree with the fact that we'll receive no comp picks... we replaced four players with five, the 2017 salary totals are similar, and one of our acquisitions was a pro-bowler. 

4 hours ago, Zazzaro703 said:

The comp pick system is broken nonsense. It operates on some secret formula that no one knows about. Already knowing the shady colluding back room handshake deals the NFL has committed in the past, I find it hard to trust a secret formula that seems to benefit select teams every offseason.

There are people on the internet who have basically reverse-engineered it and correctly predict most comp picks every year, it's not really a huge mystery. It might not fit how we build but its a legit system that doesn't play favorites--it just so happens that the better teams take advantage of the system. Just like they do every other system available to them. Because they're smart, good franchises. Whatever the best way to build is, they'd find it and take advantage of it.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Interesting report that Hall has restructured his deal.  Anyone have any idea how that was done, and what it means for our cap space?

His vet min cost is exactly $1 million, and if we are giving him a penny more, Bruce Allen is an asshole. His total hit would be about $1.8125 million. That would mean about $3.25 million in  cap savings. 

28 minutes ago, Lloyds' Mongolian Beef said:

His vet min cost is exactly $1 million, and if we are giving him a penny more, Bruce Allen is an asshole. His total hit would be about $1.8125 million. That would mean about $3.25 million in  cap savings. 

Seems like he's dropped 2mil form his base, still picking up 2.3mil (potentially).....

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Seems like he's dropped 2mil form his base, still picking up 2.3mil (potentially).....

Although I still don't expect him to make the team, that number is just stupid. Why would we give him a penny over the min? Why would he think he is worth it? I know he was injured but that's not relevant. He's behind Swearinger, Blackmon, and Everett on the depth chart and has shown nothing in his pursuit to prolong his career at safety.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I saw a link about this posted on FB stating Hall did the Redskins a big favor with this.  I was seeing it the other way around, that he had no choice but to do this for hopes at a shot at a roster spot.  I'd be curious to know if cutting him would have cost us more against the cap than this restructure.

Releasing him would have saved $4.25 million, although there was some question as to our ability to release him based on his health. This move was in no way a favor.

DHall's contract re-structure is a win for all. The truth of the matter is that we're in the classic Redskins fan mid-off-season position where we're overrating our newly revamped safety corp. Yes, Swearinger should be an upgrade, but Cravens remains a huge question mark. If DHall is healthy and makes it thru camp without any hiccups, I can see him starting the season over Cravens. It's almost comical to base any to make roster predictions on OTAs, but it sounds like Everett is grasping the SS position well while Cravens seems lost.

Long-winded way of saying, cutting DHall at this point offers zero benefit. We keep the soul of the defense at a discounted rate, all bueno.

I get what you're saying, but Hall has barely played, and has yet to play well, since his permanent switch to safety 2 seasons ago, so calling him "the soul of the defense" is a bit dated to say the least. 

I'd have liked to keep him around the team but its extremely weird that we felt the need to pay him anything above the vet minimum to see what he's got through training camp. I still don't expect to see him make the roster, as he's not as good or young as our other potential starters and he doesn't play STs for depth. 

I hope Hall wins CBPotY honestly. If he can somehow return to form and has a better grasp of the position, from sitting and watching, we'd be in a great position in the secondary and Cravens could continue to grow safely.

Thats not what I think will happen unfortunitely, but thats what Id like.

Maybe we get lucky with Mbu?  Rich Tandler had a mini debate with Czaben on NT similar to some of the discussion here.  Czaben goes does it really matter whose the NT if they are playing 25% of downs. Tandler goes yes it does.  He explains that the Redskins were the worst in the league on first down, giving up 5 yards a shot.  He goes setting up 2nd and 3rd downs as easy conversions is a problem.  I agree with that.  Ditto red zone defense (which they also stunk at) you need those big bodies on the goal line. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/06/14/kirk-cousinss-experiments-and-other-observations-from-the-redskins-final-offseason-practice/?utm_term=.76956d5aea90

An under-the-radar guy to keep an eye on during training camp: nose tackle Joey Mbu. The 6-3, 323-pounder spent the four weeks of offseason practices as the starting nose tackle. Big, strong and light on his feet, it’ll be interesting to see if he can carve out a significant role after spending last season on the practice squad.

Some interesting stuff here on him

http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/3/19/8184503/bbs-next-hidden-gem-1-joey-mbu-nt-dt-houston

12 hours ago, CTskin said:

DHall's contract re-structure is a win for all. The truth of the matter is that we're in the classic Redskins fan mid-off-season position where we're overrating our newly revamped safety corp. Yes, Swearinger should be an upgrade, but Cravens remains a huge question mark. If DHall is healthy and makes it thru camp without any hiccups, I can see him starting the season over Cravens. It's almost comical to base any to make roster predictions on OTAs, but it sounds like Everett is grasping the SS position well while Cravens seems lost.

Long-winded way of saying, cutting DHall at this point offers zero benefit. We keep the soul of the defense at a discounted rate, all bueno.

D Hall's re-structure is a win for him only. Hall's place on the chart has nothing to do with fans "overrating". Cravens performing well at safety is irrelevant to Hall's value. Hall couldn't start over many of the players currently on our team last year, but now you expect him to start. Smart. You are right about comical, and about Everett.

Cutting D Hall gets rid of a blowhard 15 yard misconduct penalty waiting to happen. The "soul" of our defense? 

Our overall fan stupidity is growing. Bruce Allen is the catalyst. McCloughan was our inhibitor. 

Archived