Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest need in the offseason.....

halter91

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

@Skinsinparadise Thanks for your answer. Sometimes I wish this place was more level headed and more thoughtful that just hate and whatever... I've quit posting in gamesday thread, because besides the hate / fire everybody tendancies going around, there's not much things to talk about in here. I'm bored with comments such as: "Scott didn't drafted Joe Schmoe from Tulsa, Doom!!!!"

Thanks, I was just listening to 106.7 and Grant who generally is pretty level headed said they gambled that the D line was going to be fine -- they were wrong.    Seems like that's the sentiment that some have here, too.  Bottom line, even before hearing Scot's take I never thought that Scot thought he shored up all weaknesses -- he alluded to just that in the summer when he talked about still being many blue chippers missing to reach the promised land.  

The simple thing he's trying to do is adding a lot of young talent and not destroy their cap with aging players and quick fixes.  Lets take the secondary, -- they have some good players and young guys with potential:  Dunbar, Breeland, Cravens, Fuller, Norman.  The safeties though stink.  What if Cravens develops as a strong safety and they add a good FS via FA like Tony Jefferson.  I really doubt the secondary stinks then.  It looks bad at the moment but arguably they aren't a mile away with more tinkering.  Trent and Kerrigan are decent pass rushers, hopefully Preston Smith picks things up.  IMO if you add a pass rushing DT to help Baker, it would make a night and day difference to this defense.  In short, the players who stink on this defense IMO really really stink.  But you build a foundation and then start tinkering around with it, it could improve fast.

Look at the NY Giants.  Their defense last year was historically bad.  They collected some talent in the secondary via the draft, went to town in FA for the D line, and look at that unit now?  I believe a similar approach is in the offing here.   He didn't spell that out to me but piecing different comments together, I think this is likely the route here.

4 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

We have 9 picks in the draft....I expect Scot to go defense-heavy. 

I believe we all expected that very same thing last year... and we were massively disappointed. After 2 1/2 McClu drafts, I've learned to stop expecting. It's almost like he purposely avoids the "fan's choice" and filling blatant holes, yet somehow, he's turned this team around. So that's why, as aggravating as it may be at times, I just say "In Scot I trust."

6 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

So he's lucky when he grabs Norman and DJax, and he sucks because of paea, lauvao (who have yet  to  be replaced  by almighty godlike arie  kounadjio), culliver (who wasn't that bad, but expensive) and bruton.

I would rather say he was unlucky to me.

What about blackmon? RJF? Dunbar? Kyshoen Jarrett (except if you blame Scott for this injury)?

Discounting Lauvao and DJax, a signing that I don't think he gets enough credit for is Vernon Davis. About this time last year, our TE situation was a banged up Jordan Reed, an unknown in Derek Carrier (who got injured before the season was out iirc), and the Alex Smith that doesn't play QB. Many people figured that Vernon Davis was washed up when we signed him; at this point, I'd now say he and Rob Kelley are our two best offensive signings this year.

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

I believe we all expected that very same thing last year... and we were massively disappointed. After 2 1/2 McClu drafts, I've learned to stop expecting. It's almost like he purposely avoids the "fan's choice" and filling blatant holes, yet somehow, he's turned this team around. So that's why, as aggravating as it may be at times, I just say "In Scot I trust."

I'll say this much (again being careful at not getting into the things he said stays in the room) he had his eye on filling some of the positions people are whining about, came close to doing it, but the draft just didn't flow that way.

Again the big takeaway I got from Scot is he wanted to infuse the team with young talent and is very aware that problems still exist on the roster.  And this will be a big off season to resolve some of the more obvious holes on this team.   And i got the impression that the efforts to fill those holes will be intense.

18 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Upgrade the sound system in my living room.  For now I just have a Samsung sound bar.  It is okay, but sometimes I wanna bump music loud and it just doesn't go that high.

I just replaced my samsung soundbar with Sonos.  It's the best investment I've made in terms of home theater.  Hands down the best sound, easy to use and setup.
Love it!

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll say this much (again being careful at not getting into the things he said stays in the room) he had his eye on filling some of the positions people are whining about, came close to doing it, but the draft just didn't flow that way.

Again the big takeaway I got from Scot is he wanted to infuse the team with young talent and is very aware that problems still exist on the roster.  And this will be a big off season to resolve some of the more obvious holes on this team.   And i got the impression that the efforts to fill those holes will be intense.

I have no doubt about that. I love that you were not only able to pick his brain and ask him all of the questions that these boards hit on, but you're able to bring it back here and offer some calm to this crazy bunch.

For me, Scot's track record speaks for itself. While not giving him 100% credit, I don't believe it's a coincidence that the 9ers have fallen off the map and the Seahawks haven't hit on a mid-late round pick since he left... We were a train wreck and two short years later we're a respected team on the rise. He may not draft the rookies or sign the free agents that are on my list, but there's a reason he's a GM and I'm not.

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

I have no doubt about that. I love that you were not only able to pick his brain and ask him all of the questions that these boards hit on, but you're able to bring it back here and offer some calm to this crazy bunch.

For me, Scot's track record speaks for itself. While not giving him 100% credit, I don't believe it's a coincidence that the 9ers have fallen off the map and the Seahawks haven't hit on a mid-late round pick since he left... We were a train wreck and two short years later we're a respected team on the rise. He may not draft the rookies or sign the free agents that are on my list, but there's a reason he's a GM and I'm not.

Thanks.   They won the division in year 1, this year they have a shot to beat their record from last year and make the playoffs two years in a row.  It's obviously a good start for the Scot tenure.    IMO people are overreacting to the idea that there are still some glaring weaknesses on the team.  My response to that upon talking to him is that these critics even though they seem to want to stew in it all -- nonetheless, they will be very very happy with this off season.  

1 hour ago, jschuck12001 said:

From what I can see Kawaan Short is the only impact player on the D line that will be a free agent next year.

You got multiple players IMO, Hankins from the Giants, B. Williams from the Ravens, Poe, from the Chiefs, Sheard from the Patriots, Campbell from the Cards.  Actually good FA crop at the moment at DT-DE IMO.

DE, ILB, LB in general is a must. I do love Murphy and Baker, but the other guys just aren't starters. Compton is a high IQ guy, but he is way too slow and also not starter quality. Foster plays well maybe half the time, he has to go. Cravens needs to start, Ihenacho can also be a starter for us. We must address the first level of our defense in the first round. If we had a top 10 defense, we're still fighting for the NFC East crown, too many games lost due to porous defense. I love our CBs, Norman, Breeland, Fuller will be a very good trio, I also think Dunbar can be a good depth DB. 

If we draft anything but DL/LB with our first pick, it will be a grave mistake. 

10 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

1 it's easier said than done to upgrade the roster.

2 you can't blame coaching for sucking today when that same coaching was making them great yesterday.

And if coaching have nothing to  do with them being great last year, it also have nothing to do with them sucking now.

Certainly agree on point 1- but you gotta try. Didn't feel like we did. 

2- I'm not sure anyone was saying the coaching was great last year and terrible this year. I actually like gruden. I think he has the right tools to be a top 10 coach for years. His offensive system and his qb whispering has been huge. He just needs to break his allegiance to JB. And learn clock management- but then again, Andy Reid hasn't learned that yet, and he's a winner. And also offensive genius. So there are some parallels. Regardless, as I stated in other thread, this team is right there. Couple of new starters on Dline, promote cravens to full time LB, and shore up safety in the draft- this is a Super Bowl contender. As I said, look at 2014 panthers. Competitive, in games, finished what, 7-9 and won that crappy division? Next year, those same bounces went their way- 15-1. I'm not saying the shift is that potentially drastic for us, but we're close. 

I get that the middle of our D is the biggest weakness and that several positions there are in need of upgrading, but I wouldn't be opposed to taking a LG or C with a high draft pick. The thought of another Scherff-caliber player on the OL is intriguing. I'm jealous of the Cowboys' OL, and another good piece on ours could help with the RZ woes.

36 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

I get that the middle of our D is the biggest weakness and that several positions there are in need of upgrading, but I wouldn't be opposed to taking a LG or C with a high draft pick. The thought of another Scherff-caliber player on the OL is intriguing. I'm jealous of the Cowboys' OL, and another good piece on ours could help with the RZ woes.

If McC has a C or LG as his BPA then I'm all for it.  I really only think we're a solid LG away from being as good as Dallas on the oline. Long is looking like a keeper in the middle. Too bad he got a concussion yesterday.

It's like people forget that we have 9 picks or that the first one has to be defense.  I want the BPA regardless of where it is.

Archived