Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy or Sell

SWFLSkins

Just now, ncr2h said:

If you sell, I think the rationale would be that Gruden + Kirk isn't enough for us to win a championship, especially if Kirk is commanding $26M per year.  If you're not going to pay Kirk the $26, you let them both walk and roll the dice at QB for 2017 and 2018 while you stock up talent on the rest of the team.

I think it's a really tough sell to the fanbase, but if Kirk's price tag truly ends up being unprecedented, then I could at least see an argument for doing a complete cleaning of the house and just letting McLoughan stockpile assets.

...We are two years in on Kirk as the starter and for the FO to assume we couldn't win a SB with them would be ridiculous. It would essentially be gutting the one good part of your team (probably turning you into the Browns for 2-3 years). If we had more than maybe two studs on defense, I'd get it but we don't. We'd be worse on offense and maybe marginally better on defense. 

I know you're not advocating it but this thought is insane to me lol

26 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

He has his warts but he's improved every season and has developed an elite offense. Firing him would be disastrous and really ****ing dumb. It would make Kirk learn a new offense, which would **** over said great offense and probably lead to him regressing and us jumping back on the carousel of sadness

But firing him would be the Redskin thing (in my lifetime) to do to be fair. 

Also, wth is the "wow" factor?

Did Ron Rivera or Gary Kubiak have that prior to last year? 

Offense isnt elite status though. With that said, Not in support of firing him.

9 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Ahh

You're right. John Fox.

An even worse coach lol.

Good catch 

And don't forget jacksonsville coach lol. 

People need to calm down! Our offense is missing doctson and reed. Wait ok guys, and Harris is getting more reps and getting better and better. 

Focus on the defense and adding to the online. 

Im still mixed on Gruden, but I know if he balled up and put aside his relationship with JB and fired him, I'd feel a whole lot better about his ability to make the tough/right decisions.. Our defensive performances are just not NFL caliber, even for bad NFL teams..

12 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Yes, if we're going to do anything crazy, let's do this.

Sorry almost forgot. 

Also focus on josh Norman vs the refs too. I still don't get how any fan and there were quite a bit of cards fans saying yes flag! Let alone, them understanding the rules that 0-5 yards you can litterly assault someone and there won't be no flag. But hey Normns mouth has caused this. ?

The guy I look at when considering this is Jason Garrett. Look at the general suck that has been the Cowboys since he's been the head coach. And yet he's currently leading the team with the best record in the NFL. Maybe Jerruh's patience with him has paid off somewhat (although we know who's really calling the big shots in Big D). 

I'm really pissed at Jay right now, because his team was not ready to play today mentally, and that is inexcusable. He went off in the postgame presser, but too little, too late. Still, I think he's probably been our strongest HC since Gibbs II. But to fire him at this point would be ridiculous. We're clearly showing an upward curve over the last couple years. Again, I am fuming over this game today, as I think ALL the coaches failed us. But unless there's some across-the-board collapse moving forward, I think you have to keep him. Get Kirk signed and get the defense overhauled. 

So anyway, a cautious buy at the moment. 

Haven't had 6 wins going into December in a very very long time. Coming off a NFCE championship and we want to sell the guy who got us there?

It's like some of you have been entitled to a Patriots point of view. This team has stunk forever. Jay has finally gotten us to a average level. It'll only get better

21 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

The guy I look at when considering this is Jason Garrett. Look at the general suck that has been the Cowboys since he's been the head coach. And yet he's currently leading the team with the best record in the NFL. Maybe Jerruh's patience with him has paid off somewhat (although we know who's really calling the big shots in Big D). 

I would probably suggest that Garrett lucked into a fortunate situation.  Jerruh likely kept him around because he would offer the least resistance to Jones's GM role.  Also that O-line is just amazing.  I actually hear it was Romo who had begun to lobby Jerruh to use 1st round picks on the O-line and stop going after "sexy" headline-grabbing picks because of how battered he was getting every season.  Also Garrett has had a much more talented roster at his disposal.  He took over as O-coordinator after Sean Payton (under Parcells) was hired away by The Saints.  I believe that is how the sequence went.  The Cowboys have always had the flashy talent during Garrett's tenure, their issue was the trenches, sort of like the 'Skins issues.   

4 minutes ago, MontanaSkins said:

I want to see how the team reacts to the big blow up he had after the game. If they respond it means he has the respect of the team, if they **** the bed again we know he has lost them. 

What was the "big blowup"? I saw his presser, but he was relatively calm, albeit obviously upset and frustrated. Did something else happen earlier? 

I agree with the sentiment of others who say you can't sell him right now regardless of how you feel long term.  Most franchises get "medium" before they get over the hump.  The 'Skins are just starting to approach that "medium" level.  I want to see what a few seasons of "medium" look like under Gruden before I make a final judgement on his viability of a team trying to take the next step.

34 minutes ago, Cliffmark1 said:

Let sm pick coaches. 

Hope he does that better than he does defensive talent 

4 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

What was the "big blowup"? I saw his presser, but he was relatively calm, albeit obviously upset and frustrated. Did something else happen earlier? 

Reporters said he really let the team have it in the locker room. Could hear him yelling down the hall

Hold for now.  He still makes head scratching in game decisions.  Having Hopskins attempt that 50+ harder into the blinding sun against Dallas still baffles me.

He designs a good offense but for those saying this is an elite offense, 29th in RZ efficiency is not elite.

Archived