Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: How Washington has Become a Winner

Califan007 The Constipated

33 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

One thing I will say about the defense, I am surprised at how much man coverage the outside corners are able to play.  The reputation on Norman coming in was he was a zone corner.  He's a good press man corner.  I think he is rightfully considered one of the best all around corners in the league right now. He's showing us he can do it all.  Special player, signing him was a godsend that elevated the ceiling of the defense.

I too have been surprised. But I didn't really watch that many Panthers ganes, so I had no idea whether the "He is a zone corner" stuff was baloney or not.

He is playing pretty well from what I have seen

The defense still gets caught flatfooted too much for me to be fully sold.. Iast night's ridiculous blown coverage  on the starks td... last week's mixup on a long 3rd down.. and frankly if never I see sorry ass Donte Whitner again, I'll be just fine with it. Can't cover, can't tackle. Emphasis on the "cant cover". Good reason he was watching TV when necessity caused us to call him. 

I thought the DL got good pressure . .but given the bench warmers in front of them I feel it should have been more. I will lay credit to Rodgers awareness and escapability. The lack of touch when he dove is troubling. Collinsworth made the point that they are gun shy about getting a penalty.. and if that doesn't point the finger directly at the inconsistency of officials I don't know what does.

Sloppy penalties.. discipline penalties.. delay of game on the defense is inexcusable . . I love the fire but you can't let it get a penalty. That needs to tighten up NOW. (The hands to the face on Breeland was a terrible call. Incidental contact.. he clearly punched  to the chest and the receiver caused the shot to hit his face by his own action)

Defense and championships, you know.. and we are not showing me that level as of yet. Timely turnovers are nice but you can't rely on that.

Now. lest that read like just a bunch of whining . .it is. A win is a win. BUT we all know what we are  seeing is not a  championship caliber  defense. Thursday will tell us a lot about how far this D can go. Dallas is smashmouth.. championship caliber offense. old school. The defense will find out a,lot about themselves.

Offensively you gotta just love it. They are unstoppable when they want to be. Tress Way sees infinitely more action as a holder than a punter. I think this IS a championship caliber offense. Cousins is LIGHTS OUT and I ain't gonna hear anymore about looking for a QB. We have one .. a damn good one. His past problems of letting mistakes get to him is GONE. One sure fire cure for that is to not make mistakes and he does not.

The late great DC legend Ken Beatrice said what you need in a Passer is a guy who will,not make the crushing mental error... and Cousins does not. He makes outstanding reads .. his pocket awareness is outstanding. His arm is without question.. his accuracy is terrific.  He runs the offense like a master and the best part of that is we know he is NOT a master of all the nuances of the offense in less than 2 years of running it. He will get BETTER, believe it or not.  He BETTER  be our QB long term or I will lose all the faith,that has sustained me through years,of bad decisions by the front office.

All of this reflects on Gruden. The Redskins have their QB and the coach that can win it, with plenty of room to grow. I am a happy fan.

~Bang

Edit.. I am using my phone and I always hit the , when I want to hit the space.. so sorry if it is confusing . 

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

the ground game now ranks in the top 10 in yards per attempt after ranking 30th in 2015

That absolutely blows my mind. I knew our ground game had improved from being bad, but I didn't realize that we're actually better than average now.

That last touchdown by Kelley still has me thrilled. All three plays of the drive, they knew we were going to run it, and they couldn't do a thing about it to save their lives.

so_good.png

21 minutes ago, Bang said:

Oh.. in the article when the writer said Fat Rob shows the same propensity for finishing runs as Matt Jones.. I had to laugh. Dude clearly hasn't been watching long. The difference between the 2 is night and day.

~Bang

When I read that part, I literally re-read it 3 times lol...I thought "He must have said some other word than 'propensity' and I just misread it". Nope.

15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

When I read that part, I literally re-read it 3 times lol...I thought "He must have said some other word than 'propensity' and I just misread it". Nope.

Lol  a good vocabulary is never superfluous :D

~Bang

It's safe to say that when we rose this morning, we (collectively) have borne witness to the dawn of a new day.

Last night was powerful in its literal & figurative importance.

We literally saw Kirk Cousins outduel the man many consider to be the best Quarterback in The Game.  And there weren't any trick plays, or lucky bounces, or homer calls.  Nope.  Cousins just beat him.  And it happened on Sunday Night, with the whole world watching.  What's more, The Washington Redskins ended the Green Bay Packers' Season - they know it & we know it.  So do all of the keen League observers.  Those developments alone made quite a statement.

But most importantly, we saw a torch passed yesterday.  A wildly successful, insanely popular, pace-setting Franchise began its decline in earnest.  I'm sure there were several moments & circumstances that their followers could point to that were more significant in their world, but the irony of our Matchup's result is too rich to ignore.  Washington literally beat the Packers at their own game, & their fading from the stage provides our entry onto it.  Yes, whether they like it or not, they passed us the torch.

Therefore, Today is the beginning of a New Era.  

The universe the Redskins once knew ceased to exist & a new one has taken shape.  Now, going forward, this team is expected to Win.  Just getting to The Playoffs are no longer the goal.  The Goal, from this point forward is The Lombardi Trophy.  The Washington Redskins are to be taken seriously - NOW.  The bumbling days are a prior chapter.  

Welcome to an age where The Redskins are Players.  Let us learn to enjoy the ride.

1 hour ago, Diehard Otis said:

Therefore, Today is the beginning of a New Era.  

The universe the Redskins once knew ceased to exist & a new one has taken shape.  Now, going forward, this team is expected to Win.  Just getting to The Playoffs are no longer the goal.  The Goal, from this point forward is The Lombardi Trophy.  The Washington Redskins are to be taken seriously - NOW.  The bumbling days are a prior chapter.  

Welcome to an age where The Redskins are Players.  Let us learn to enjoy the ride.

I want them to show me on Thanksgiving.  We are all high from the win, but Thursday is HUGE.  Show me; make me really believe. We have pieces we still need, but getting a really good feeling from this team. IF we continue winning, just wait until Trent gets back fresh & rested. Could be really good....DO IT!  HTTR

4 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

I want them to show me on Thanksgiving.  We are all high from the win, but Thursday is HUGE.  Show me; make me really believe. We have pieces we still need, but getting a really good feeling from this team. IF we continue winning, just wait until Trent gets back fresh & rested. Could be really good....DO IT!  HTTR

I understand your sentiment here Riggo.  In fact, I've marked myself as a crazy man by stating publicly that Winning that one makes us a Super Bowl Contender.  But I believe that we have entered the new era by virtue of beating Green Bay already.  The question in my mind is to what degree will this year's team be successful?  

However, many of us already know that getting past the Packers got us over that proverbial hump.  But the Thanksgiving Day game will tell us if we're in Super Bowl Contention right now.  Although that result won't necessarily be the final answer, I see it as a barometer.

Plus, it's The Hated Rival!  This one's ALWAYS important.

Otis, let's pump the brakes here a bit.

We still have a ways to go before talking about Super Bowl contention.  By ways to go, I mean a season or two. The fact remains that was a battered Packers squad and it still took us 55 minutes to put them away.  

If the Skins were a stock, I'd buy them.  I love the long term direction of this team.  But you have to be realistic about where we sit today.  Nothing about this defense says Super Bowl.  A few more drafts and it very well could.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Otis, let's pump the brakes here a bit.

We still have a ways to go before talking about Super Bowl contention.  By ways to go, I mean a season or two. The fact remains that was a battered Packers squad and it still took us 55 minutes to put them away.  

If the Skins were a stock, I'd buy them.  I love the long term direction of this team.  But you have to be realistic about where we sit today.  Nothing about this defense says Super Bowl.  A few more drafts and it very well could.

Yes, but... I would say the same thing about every team in the NFC but for Seattle. In Dallas, you have both sides of the ball playing over their heads. Especially their D. That team is eventually going to have a game where the bounces go against them. If Kirk had played like he did against the Pack week 2 against Dallas, we would have scored 56 points.

We could get hot in today'a NFL and win one. Or, we could build the defense and be good for a decade and win several.

17 hours ago, Bang said:

Oh.. in the article when the writer said Fat Rob shows the same propensity for finishing runs as Matt Jones.. I had to laugh. Dude clearly hasn't been watching long. The difference between the 2 is night and day.

~Bang

You are right about the night and day difference.  When I read that sentence I thought maybe he was referring to Matt Jones, v.1 who, when he came out of college and played in those first preseason games finished runs by punishing the tackler.  Matt Jones, v.2 or whatever his now is far from that. 

21 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Ik don't believe this! Since the day I became fan there was one consistent factor in my life. I would get all excited in the offseason and then dissapointed in the regular season. All my frustration off the week I could release on some bad game of the Redskins.

Now we look good and win games...I don't know what to do. Scot, Gruden, Redskins made my life a mess.

;)

You and all of the other fans that were not able to be part of the Gibbs hey day era deserve this more than anyone. My son is 19 and has only known that history. I want it for the younger fans more than anything.

17 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Just a caveat:  When you have stability with GOOD people at those positions, you win.

We FINALLY do. Competent, smart coaches. I'll even include Joe Barry in this. He's beginning to win me over -- we've been playing competent defense with backups and street free agents on the DL, ILB, and Safety. 

20 hours ago, Bang said:

~Bang

It is literally not even close and hasnt been since the preseason. It was obvious to me and a few of us then. It is now obvious to all of us that Kelley has the vision needed to run at the NFL level. That is something that is very, very hard to teach. Although, if Jones could learn it, that would be nice, but I think we have a Christine Michael on our hands with him.

1 hour ago, PortisBetts said:

It is literally not even close and hasnt been since the preseason. It was obvious to me and a few of us then. It is now obvious to all of us that Kelley has the vision needed to run at the NFL level. That is something that is very, very hard to teach. 

Felt like all it took was one carry for you to notice his ability, and just how different he was instinctively, compared to Jones. He knows where he needs to go, and doesn't waste time getting there

In the words of the brilliant Jim Zorn, we need to stay medium.

The big issue with this team for the last handful of seasons it has been the propensity to look good one week and then turn around and look awful the next.  The ceiling would look high, but the floor would look just as low.  Before you "become a winner" you have to show you can be a consistent "medium." Once you are an established medium level team, that is when you begin adding the finishing pieces, the needed upgrades, (while also constantly back filling the roster with young talent that gets groomed alongside elite talent).  

I really don't see the win vs. Green Bay or a possible upset against Dallas changing the overall outlook for the 2016 season itself. Does it make the path to a playoff berth that much more in the grasp? Sure, however, the defense still lacks too much elite talent for me to believe they could do much damage in the playoffs.  

What we have seen since the GM has taken over the building of this team is how you first establish yourself as "medium" a *consistent* medium though.  That is where this franchise is right now.

Archived