Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: How Washington has Become a Winner

Califan007 The Constipated

I agree @NoCalMike. We need to improve on D, that's obvious. Going to the playoffs would be a pleasant surprise this year and will show an improvment to me as we're staying medium with what we did last year.

Right now, we're still the 6th seeds in the playoffs one game behind the Giants. And we're supposed to face the Lions or maybe the Vikings as the Packers seems quite behind.None of those teams really scares me know, even if January is something different.

So, if we make the playoffs, we're not probably going to the SB (like 90% we're not in). Still we can win a game, maybe two if we face the Cowboys again as those games are typically close. But 1 win in the playoffs, would already make my season as a Redskins fan.

15 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Otis, let's pump the brakes here a bit.

We still have a ways to go before talking about Super Bowl contention.  By ways to go, I mean a season or two. The fact remains that was a battered Packers squad and it still took us 55 minutes to put them away.  

If the Skins were a stock, I'd buy them.  I love the long term direction of this team.  But you have to be realistic about where we sit today.  Nothing about this defense says Super Bowl.  A few more drafts and it very well could.

@BatteredFanSyndrome (and I'm curious on your opinions too @NoCalMike & @Wildbunny)

Okay, here's where my reasoning gets crazy (but please hear me out).

Honestly, nothing in your post is unreasonable - in fact, your view is entirely reasonable...& I can get on board with your position.

HOWEVER

Beating The Hated Rival in their house would be tangible proof that we can beat a legitimate Super Bowl Contender (which is what they are generally considered at the moment).  Adding to the fact that we have--to this point--successfully navigated a 1st Place NFL Schedule and would have a Winning Record in the toughest Division in The NFC (while having beaten ALL of our Division Rivals) speaks for itself.  Yes, we would be a Super Bowl Contender with a Thanksgiving Day Win!

Would we be in serious Super Bowl Contention?  Winning The NFC East would answer that, but in the moment I would say no. Washington would be a darkhorse candidate (if this scenario took place).  Although being regarded as one of the teams in the mix isn't tin foil hat stuff.  The Redskins would have EARNED that distinction.  Would you agree with that?

But it's all academic prior to kickoff; beat The Hated Rival & then it's ALL on the table!

[Side note: In today's NFL, an Offensive team can absolutely Win It All.  Indianapolis & New Orleans were clearly Offensive teams that benefited from their Defenses giving them a good year (mainly through causing Turnovers).  And both squads hoisted The Lombardi.  That doesn't mean that we should start chanting Super Bowl.  The point is that this precedent has already been set.]

26 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

@BatteredFanSyndrome (and I'm curious on your opinions too @NoCalMike & @Wildbunny)

Honestly, nothing in your post is unreasonable - in fact, your view is entirely reasonable...& I can get on board with your position.

HOWEVER

Beating The Hated Rival in their house would be tangible proof that we can beat a legitimate Super Bowl Contender (which is what they are generally considered at the moment).  Adding to the fact that we have--to this point--successfully navigated a 1st Place NFL Schedule and would have a Winning Record in the toughest Division in The NFC (while having beaten ALL of our Division Rivals) speaks for itself.  Yes, we would be a Super Bowl Contender with a Thanksgiving Day Win!

You know, as crazy as it sounds - the Skins being a SB contender, the more I look at the NFC - I guess you aren't totally crazy.  Party on!

For me though, it's a bit too early to begin picturing the playoffs and/or Super Bowl.  I just can't help but imagine that one of if not two of these teams: Carolina, Arizona, Green Bay, eventually get their S together and throw a wrench in the playoff picture.

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You know, as crazy as it sounds - the Skins being a SB contender, the more I look at the NFC - I guess you aren't totally crazy.  Party on!

For me though, it's a bit too early to begin picturing the playoffs and/or Super Bowl.  I just can't help but imagine that one of if not two of these teams: Carolina, Arizona, Green Bay, eventually get their S together and throw a wrench in the playoff picture.

Believe me, I know exactly how crazy that stuff sounds when said aloud...and the really crazy part is that when you begin to look at 

1) The complexion of The Conference - as in, who scares you (specifically, what team(s) do you think we CAN'T beat)

2) The list of teams The Redskins have already beaten to date

3) The remaining schedule, and

4) The mounting evidence that under Kirk Cousins, The Redskins play their strongest ball in the home stretch of The Season

Why wouldn't we be considered legitimate Contenders IF we Win on Thursday?

It has to be given serious consideration

--------------------------------------

[I am not saying The Redskins are going to The Super Bowl - I am merely pointing out that with a Win in Texas, the team's resume at that point would warrant being included in that category.  In that vein, so do Oakland, Kansas City, & New York, along with the obvious Contenders.

As of today, there are only 8 teams in The NFL that are more than 2 games over .500 - in each Conference.  The Washington Redskins are 1 of those 4.  You tell me -- is it crazy?]

2 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

Ok, since you wonder about my opinion on this, I'll give you mine :taz:

Do we have to have a top 10 D to win the Superbowl? No.

Can we win Superbowl LI? Yes, we can. Stranger things have happened in the NFL.

Will we win it this year? No. That would be a huge surprise.

Sure our O is playing great and almost look unstoppable. They've made some highly regarded D looked like HS D (Minnesota, Philadelphia, Baltimore). I'm exaggerating it, but they went through them quite easily. And our D beneficiated that. Still, we aren't the best team out there. Dallas, Seattle, Raiders, Patriots, Broncos, looks like more complete teams than us.

Now playoffs are a tournament, something totally different. Forget about the W/L record, the season rankings... It almost comes down to one play or two. So anything can happen. Like a David Tyree helmet's catch in the superbowl, Ryan Grant could burn Richard Sherman on a go route and make a diving catch in the EZ for the win on an overthrown bomb from Kirk at Qwest field. That's still highly unlikely. And we really way too much on our O to win games and D have to just manage it, limiting the fact, having some key stops here and there, and where giving up points is not so dramatic. Because our O can make up for it.

No matter what, I really doubt winning in Dallas would put us in SB contention. We would still be 1.5 games behind them, so we would need them to make mistakes to win the east this year. That can happen, but it's not likely either. At beast we'll be #5th seed, and two playoffs in a row is an achievment by itself for this young team and Coaching staff.

We need to upgrade our D, but we also don't need 10 new players there. We can go on next years with Baker, Murphy, Smith, Kerrigan, Compton, Cravens, Breeland, Blackmon, Norman, with a better SS or second ILB (Cravens may fill either one), maybe a better FS play, even if Blackmon's doing fine, we could also improve this part of the field. Heck, I even like Kendall Fuller. I know he's taken a beating lately and that opposing QBs have been attacking him because he's young. But that's expected growing pains. Guys never gave up, always comes back focused on the next play, and can still makes good plays after a blow or two. So he's got the spirit, he's got the physicals. He just needs the experience to be a good Nickel Back. Compton, as well, is being underrated to this D, and he will be tough to put away because of how he leads and calls the plays. You just cannot diminish that part of the game. Will he miss a tackle here and there? Yes, will he get run over by an Ox's type RB? Yes. That will come with the player as well. But I believe the benefits everywhere are better than anything. For all the flaks Joe Barry have taken against the Lions for its last drive coaching (rightfully deserved), watch the last play back (how painful it is). Will Compton is inches away from tipping the ball away and giving us a win. Dude is smart, reads plays well, commands the D, and next time, he'll probably tip it, maybe even intercept it. (He's basically a London Fletcher type guy. Maybe not as physical, but the same type overall).

So I'll repeat but we need to upgrade our D, even if it isn't has bad as some may say. We still have youngs guys to develop, though I'm a bit disappointed in Ioannaidis not making it again. Lanier looks interesting, and we haven't seen much of Spaight, and still don't know what we have in Daniels.

Now, with a good upgrade on D, we're not talking about SB bound only, but a complete team able to roll over everyone on any given sunday. Just like the Seahawks, Patriots, Denver if not more (I believe, as good as they are, they aren't as good as they used to when they won the SB). Then with the rise of the Raiders and the Cowboys we could have our SB XVIII revenge!

On 11/21/2016 at 5:15 PM, Diehard Otis said:

It's safe to say that when we rose this morning, we (collectively) have borne witness to the dawn of a new day.

Last night was powerful in its literal & figurative importance.

Therefore, Today is the beginning of a New Era.  

The universe the Redskins once knew ceased to exist & a new one has taken shape.  Now, going forward, this team is expected to Win.  Just getting to The Playoffs are no longer the goal.  The Goal, from this point forward is The Lombardi Trophy.  The Washington Redskins are to be taken seriously - NOW.  The bumbling days are a prior chapter.  

Welcome to an age where The Redskins are Players.  Let us learn to enjoy the ride.

Speaking of superfluous, this may qualify. :) 

At a minimum, your assertion may be a bit premature.  On the other hand, I truly hope you are right.

1 hour ago, cakmoney61 said:

Speaking of superfluous, this may qualify. :) 

At a minimum, your assertion may be a bit premature.  On the other hand, I truly hope you are right.

Well, according to many posters on this board, beating a quality Opponent in a Prime Time Game was considered to be barometer for The Team.  And these Redskins got over that hump.

I know Green Bay has struggled, but they had limped into The Playoffs last year playing poorly & put it on us.  And they were playing for their season Sunday Night.  

It was a Big Win for our Program.  I stand by what I've posted.

You believe this line of thinking to be unreasonable?

On 11/22/2016 at 6:18 PM, Wildbunny said:

Ok, since you wonder about my opinion on this, I'll give you mine :taz:

Do we have to have a top 10 D to win the Superbowl? No.

Can we win Superbowl LI? Yes, we can. Stranger things have happened in the NFL.

Will we win it this year? No. That would be a huge surprise.

No matter what, I really doubt winning in Dallas would put us in SB contention.

I appreciate your opinion.  

We disagree on the effects the Win would have on The Team though.  

My point is if Washington goes down to Texas & beats The Hated Rival, then The Team absolutely should be considered a Contender.  How many other teams could boast of such a resume?

4 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

Well, according to many posters on this board, beating a quality Opponent in a Prime Time Game was considered to be barometer for The Team.  And these Redskins got over that hump.

I know Green Bay has struggled, but they had limped into The Playoffs last year playing poorly & put it on us.  And they were playing for their season Sunday Night.  

It was a Big Win for our Program.  I stand by what I've posted.

You believe this line of thinking to be unreasonable?

Absolutely not.  I simply think that it may still be too early to claim a new era of dominant football.  IMO, the defense needs to get a lot better in the talent/execution department.  

However, anything is possible with a potent offense that is improving due to a much better running game.  A strong running game would do wonders for the defense this year as well as improve red zone success...and Dallas fans would agree.  If the offense reaches its full potential the remainder of this year, the Redskins could certainly make a deep run in the playoffs and, as crazy as it may sound, win the SB.

10 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

I appreciate your opinion.  

We disagree on the effects the Win would have on The Team though.  

My point is if Washington goes down to Texas & beats The Hated Rival, then The Team absolutely should be considered a Contender.  How many other teams could boast of such a resume?

Should be, maybe. Will ne? Not so sure. We still have a long way to be respectes by the media.

Only one: Giants. Especially if they sweep them and take the lead in the east at the same time. 

This team is a mediocre team; a 7-9 win team.  A possible wild card team; as the 6th seed at best.

Considering the fact, if we make the playoffs with a 9-6-1 or 8-7-1 record; it would be our first back to back playoff seasons since 1990-1992.

So, even though we are mediocre; this mediocre team has the potential to do something.  Something we haven't done in over 23 years.

So, that would be an improvement.

You do feel this team could be on the verge on being a contender; assuming we hit on our defensive pics next year.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The entire middle of our defense teams keep playing in.

Possibly the middle of our offense too, until we can start owning 3rd and shorts with our ground game.

Yet, we're still on the cusp of the playoffs...that sounds like we are winning despite our deficiencies?

I agree though, we have backups on DL, LG and C. ILBs are JAGS.

Most of the time that I've seen Cousins really hold the ball, he's still well protected.  Not trying to say the line is a finished project, but they're playing quite well in pass pro, IMO.  Run blocking is improved over last year too (though part of that's the TE blocking and a back with better vision/tenacity).

Archived