Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Hmmm. It only took me two posts to regret engagement this time around. 👍

EDIT: Also, I know what the word means. I wouldnt have used a ****ing synonym for it if I didnt. 

It was for the general public, I assumed you did.

Though since you can't see the practical aspect perhaps I overestimated.

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Someone explain to me why the way Trump is handling Turkey is meet with so much Republican resistance when he can get away with literally anything else here at home? Not being sarcastic, I actually dont understand why it seems like all the Republican skin in the game is overseas. Whats the deal? 

I think it's because the rest of the world is condemning Trump's actions with Turkey and Republicans are hearing about it from other nations. Here at home, Republicans only have to hear from Trump's base, the only people they pay attention to really, and they don't give a **** what most of us say about Trump. 

As long as they think that they can suppress enough votes to win the electoral college, they don't care what US citizens care about. They do care about what the rest of the world thinks because they actively seek foreign money for their campaign funds, which is against the law BTW.  FEC laws need prison terms attached instead of civil penalties because jail seems to matter to Republicans, plus loss of voting privileges.

Yes, lot of the GOP still likes the US military's involvement abroad (although people like Graham in Congress were carping at Obama when he was on the verge of attacking Syria), so naturally they are against Trump leaving the vacuum in northern Syria.

But at home, its all about the culture wars......and they feel that Trump is aligned with them on that front. Nothing else matters. 

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Someone explain to me why the way Trump is handling Turkey is meet with so much Republican resistance when he can get away with literally anything else here at home? Not being sarcastic, I actually dont understand why it seems like all the Republican skin in the game is overseas. Whats the deal? 

$$$

Always all about $$$.

Foreign money coming in from all over the place being funneled through whatever. (In the guise of campaign money) Impossible to keep track of whom is paying whom, and for what anymore.

Another thing to remember about the Republicans who are speaking out against Trump on the Syria situation is that, by and large, at the moment the public doesn't rate foreign policy as very important to them at all from the polling I've seen (and I'm sure the Rs have seen it as well). So part of it is sheer political calculation. It's one of the few issues where they can publicly criticize Trump without fearing too much of a backlash from his cult members. 

6 hours ago, Llevron said:

CYA for when ISIS is resurgent 3 months from now. 

Did Trump seriously just say "The Kurds are very happy about the way things are going"?

The same Kurds who we just completely abandoned (after getting them to remove their defensive fortifications since we said we'd keep them safe) to the whims of a dictator who wants to wipe them off the map? The same Kurds who have been begging us to help them? The same Kurds who are getting slaughtered?

General Jim Mattis breaks silence on Trump with jokes

Speaking at a New York charity event Thursday the day after Trump demeaned him as "the world's most overrated general," Mattis joked that he took it as a compliment.

"I'm not just an overrated general. I'm the greatest, the world's most overrated," he told diners at the annual Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner.

"I'm honored to be considered that by Donald Trump because he also called Meryl Streep an overrated actress," he said. "So I guess I'm the Meryl Streep of generals, and frankly that sounds pretty good to me."

Trump lashed out at his former defense secretary Wednesday, during a contentious White House meeting with members of Congress.

Mattis resigned as defense secretary last December after Trump said he intended to pull 2,000 American troops out of Syria. In his resignation letter, the retired Marine general told Trump he had "the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours."

Since then, he has largely refrained from criticizing the administration publicly, saying he owed the commander in chief "a duty of silence."

But he did save a zinger for Trump at the laughter-filled gala, saying the "overrated" moniker didn't bother him.

"I earned my spurs on the battlefield ... and Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from a doctor," Mattis joked.

Click on the link for the full article

Archived