brandymac27

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

Posted (edited)

Why in the world would Iran want to provoke a war with the US?  

At least as I understand it, the sanctions are off of them.  Trump is making noises about re-imposing them.  But the rest of the world has already said they won;t go along with them.  (The rest of the world likes the Iran deal.)  So, Trump imposing sanctions would hurt the US, and not hurt Iran a bit.  (Just like most of Trump's temper tantrums.)  

And it's not like Iran is hurting for influence in the Mideast.  Again, just my impression, but I think they've pretty much absorbed what used to be their biggest regional check - Iraq.  

I thought Iran was sitting on top of the Mideast world, now days.  

Edit:  

Should a discussion about Iran be the start of a new thread?  I think it's important enough, and dstinct enough from the "general Trump things" thread.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

At least as I understand it, the sanctions are off of them. 

They're not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/us/politics/us-iran.html

For example:

Around that time, the Trump administration also hit Iranian oil exports, by effectively ordering countries worldwide to stop buying oil from the country or face sanctions of their own. Brian Hook, the State Department’s special envoy for Iran, said the United States would not grant waivers on sanctions to any countries that buy Iranian oil.

“Iran has a choice,” Tim Morrison, a White House arms control adviser, told a conference organized by a Washington-based think tank. “At some point, even the mullahs will get it.”

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Larry said:

At least as I understand it, the sanctions are off of them.  Trump is making noises about re-imposing them.  But the rest of the world has already said they won;t go along with them.  (The rest of the world likes the Iran deal.)  So, Trump imposing sanctions would hurt the US, and not hurt Iran a bit.  (Just like most of Trump's temper tantrums.)  

And it's not like Iran is hurting for influence in the Mideast.  Again, just my impression, but I think they've pretty much absorbed what used to be their biggest regional check - Iraq.  

I thought Iran was sitting on top of the Mideast world, now days.  

We should be careful not to assume just because it doesn’t make sense from our perspective that it isn’t possible.  There are different factions in Iran and they operate on different agendas and don’t necessarily share plans with each other.

I’m fairly skeptical about these sorts of situations since Trump took over, especially with Saudi Arabia and others sometimes using such incidents or alleged incidents to get weapons and other things from us.  But Iran and their proxies have done things before that seem self-defeating or crazy from our perspective, and there seem to be some confidence among experts that it was them, so I don’t know.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, visionary said:

33i6cv.jpg

Edited by China
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Iran is not a threat to America.

Our government and media want to make them bigger and scarier than they actually are.

However, to be fair, the actual media that doesn't want to be seen as "fake news" has almost completely debunked this whole thing.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Larry said:

Should a discussion about Iran be the start of a new thread?  I think it's important enough, and dstinct enough from the "general Trump things" thread.  

You can start a thread, if you think it should be.

Edited by visionary

13 hours ago, Simmsy said:

However, to be fair, the actual media that doesn't want to be seen as "fake news" has almost completely debunked this whole thing.

I really meant corporate media. Our friends at "Democracy Dies in Darkness" is leading the war drum. CNN is on board as well and a large chunk of posters in this thread believe it and think we should take them down.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

a large chunk of posters in this thread believe it and think we should take them down.

Think we should take down Iran?  I haven't seen much calling for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I really meant corporate media. Our friends at "Democracy Dies in Darkness" is leading the war drum. CNN is on board as well and a large chunk of posters in this thread believe it and think we should take them down.

Bernie Bros and Maga Trolls:  An Abundance of Similarities

Part of an ongoing series...

#fakenews

52 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Bernie Bros and Maga Trolls:  An Abundance of Similarities

Part of an ongoing series...

#fakenews

Good thing I’m not a Bernie Bro or MAGA troll.

I linked an article from The noted Bernie Bro or MAGA troll, The Independent in the UK, where the owner of the ship described what happened. Our corporate media is saying something else. It’s not like his hasn’t happened before with the Iraq war build up.

Why would Iran bomb a Japanese owned ship when the Japanese prime minister is in their country?

1 hour ago, visionary said:

I feel like it irresponsible to report this.  If it is true, then when word of it gets to trump, he is going to do exactly what they were afraid he would do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

I feel like it irresponsible to report this.  If it is true, then when word of it gets to trump, he is going to do exactly what they were afraid he would do.

He can’t if he still doesn’t know the details. I get what you are saying though. It’s important that these things not be compromised but it’s also critical that the American people know full well how incompetent and untrustworthy he is. I don’t know where you draw the line 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s dangerous for this country when the intelligence community won’t share information with the president. Both for the reason why and because it sets a dangerous precedent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

But on the bright side, if he questions it, someone can just point it it's from the NYT, so it's obviously fake news. Then they can distract him with some new Nazi meme on Twitter and he'll forget about it.

• Like 1