Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

7 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If she got 77 votes, that means it was at least somewhat bipartisan, right?  Seems like a good thing.

That’s what makes it more worriesome.  The Senate needs to stop pretending like Trump is a normal President and giving him what he wants.  No benefit of the doubt should be given for any Trump appointee.  

We can’t let anyone through unless it is absolutely certain they aren’t corrupt or likely to choose Trump over country.  The more judges and more levers of power Trump is able to influence or control, the less our chances of stopping our current direction before it’s too late.

39 minutes ago, visionary said:

That’s what makes it more worriesome.  The Senate needs to stop pretending like Trump is a normal President and giving him what he wants.  No benefit of the doubt should be given for any Trump appointee.  

We can’t let anyone through unless it is absolutely certain they aren’t corrupt or likely to choose Trump over country.  The more judges and more levers of power Trump is able to influence or control, the less our chances of stopping our current direction before it’s too late.

I agree with your sentiment, but Senate Dems need to pick their battles.  Dems don't have enough votes to block anyone without at least a few GOP defectors.  If they try to block literally everyone, they will get steamrolled every time and then when someone comes up with for-real issues, nobody will listen and it will just revert to the standard playbook from both sides. 

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I agree with your sentiment, but Senate Dems need to pick their battles.  Dems don't have enough votes to block anyone without at least a few GOP defectors.  If they try to block literally everyone, they will get steamrolled every time and then when someone comes up with for-real issues, nobody will listen and it will just revert to the standard playbook from both sides. 

There's not much they can do in the long run, but it would be nice for them to at least try to stop or slow it down.  Trump will get all the really important votes anyway.

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

There's not much they can do in the long run, but it would be nice for them to at least try to stop or slow it down.  Trump will get all the really important votes anyway.

I think they should count their blessings whenever a judge gets appointed that doesn't appear to be a total scumbag (like this recent one) and then raise hell when there is an actual issue and hope that Murkowski/Collins/Gardner/Romney are like "okay, that's too far."  

I guess I'm saying I'd prefer they win an occasional battle rather than fight every battle and lose. 

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think they should count their blessings whenever a judge gets appointed that doesn't appear to be a total scumbag (like this recent one) and then raise hell when there is an actual issue and hope that Murkowski/Collins/Gardner/Romney are like "okay, that's too far."  

I guess I'm saying I'd prefer they win an occasional battle rather than fight every battle and lose. 

Sounds nice in theory.  But in practice what battles are they winning?  The one judge Scott didn't like?  If there's someone who doesn't get through they'll just be replaced at best by someone less obviously awful  (who often turn out to be just as bad if not worse as we've seen with cabinet picks) and in the meantime dozens more appointees will go through. 

1 minute ago, visionary said:

Sounds nice in theory.  But in practice what battles are they winning?  The one judge Scott didn't like?  If there's someone who doesn't get through they'll just be replaced at best by someone less obviously awful  (who often turn out to be just as bad if not worse as we've seen with cabinet picks) and in the meantime dozens more appointees will go through. 

And the alternative is............?

4 minutes ago, visionary said:

Don't let the country go down without a fight. There's not much they can do, but at least let people know they're there and they aren't just giving in.

Picking their battles is fighting, in the only way that has any chance of actually being effective, not just complaining, which they can do either way. 

8 minutes ago, visionary said:

Don't let the country go down without a fight. There's not much they can do, but at least let people know they're there and they aren't just giving in.

bruh, we are so gon past the "don't let this country go down without a fight" stage. lol

And those in the Senate have been helping bring it down.

1 hour ago, visionary said:

We can’t let anyone through unless it is absolutely certain they aren’t corrupt or likely to choose Trump over country.  The more judges and more levers of power Trump is able to influence or control, the less our chances of stopping our current direction before it’s too late

Is there a reason to think they didn't do this? I don't know much about this judge so I could be way off.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is there a reason to think they didn't do this? I don't know much about this judge so I could be way off.

I don’t know.  Most of the time there isn’t a lot of info.  It doesn’t seem like they spend much time on a lot of these judges or other appointees and just approve them in bunches and cut deals to speed things up.

1 hour ago, twa said:

I'm fine with Dems voting against qualified judges....and answering to the voters.

Not that they need my blessing.

it'd be nice if the Republicans would nominate some. Feels like almost every judge they nominate is opposed by the Bar Association and the vast majority of sitting judges. 

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

it'd be nice if the Republicans would nominate some. Feels like almost every judge they nominate is opposed by the Bar Association and the vast majority of sitting judges. 

Maybe your feels is broke

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Not as broken as the GOP.

6 judges out of 155 were rated unqualified by the ABA, one of those six withdrew

https://ballotpedia.org/ABA_ratings_during_the_Trump_administration

• Professor Maya Sen found that higher ABA ratings were correlated with a higher likelihood of confirmation, but that higher-ranked candidates did not perform measurably better than lower-ranked candidates as judges (as measured by the percentage of reversals on appeal of their judicial decisions). She also concluded that women and minority candidates were less likely to be highly rated by the ABA.[11]

4 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Nope

If she wanted "credit" she should have made some moral statement

I suggest this......

Agreed, she left and remained silent. That's not a statement.

Here's the fun part of all of this, Trump has rewritten the playbook for a POTUS, the next President can do anything they want and **** all who disagree.

Archived