Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buzzfeed: Renegade Facebook Employees Form Task Force To Battle Fake News

visionary

17 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Mostly all because they thought automating their trending news section would work just as well as humans parsing through real/fake news.

Zuckerberg gets a facepalm for that one.

And he's building censorship tools because he thinks if he kowtows enough to the Chicoms, they'll let Facebook into the Chinese market.

(your daily reminder that Mark Zuckerberg is lucky, not smart)

Couple of things...

1) Been calling it for a decade now and now the Misinformation Age is finally here. It's a lot more destructive than I thought it would be.

2) Why? I think i gave the human race too much credit. Back in school now. Community college so it's a very diverse crowd. And this is in Northern Virginia so no political bias in my observations. The lack of critical thinking skills is awe inspiring at times. It stretches across the spectrum. Young, old, male, female, Black, white, brown, doesn't matter. 

I don't think that's fixable. I think the only possible solution is to target the things taking advantage of this weakspot in our populace. No ****ing clue how that's done.

(side note, group projects are the work of the devil and I might even vote for Trump in 2020 if he promised to ban them (not really). You have a significant part of your grade dependent on three strangers. Even if two of them are on point, you get one dip**** and you're gasping for air and at the end there's a very strong possibility of standing there with your dick in your hand starring the professor in the eyes. Just brutal. And yes, dealing with that right now so please excuse my rant.)

2 hours ago, China said:

Teens can’t tell the difference between real and fake news, unsettling study reveals

The ghost of Edward R. Murrow wept in the afterlife today as a Stanford University study revealed that 82 percent of middle-schoolers were unable to tell the difference between a legitimate news story and “sponsored content” from an advertiser. This is a significant finding, especially as America reels from the results of a bitter presidential election that some have theorized might have been swayed by the proliferation of fake news via social media. According to The Wall Street Journal—a reputable, fact-checked news source that has existed since 1889 and is beholden to certain professional standards of accuracy and integrity—Stanford surveyed over 7,800 students from middle school to college in order to determine how teens were interpreting the information they received online. The results were disheartening. More than two-thirds of middle-schoolers neglected to “mistrust a post [about financial planning] written by a bank executive,” while nearly 40 percent of high school students chose to believe in the veracity of a purported news photo, even without a verifiable source attached to it.

Click on the link for the full article

Teens being easily duped is hardly surprising.  From the Wall Street post article:http://www.wsj.com/articles/most-students-dont-know-when-news-is-fake-stanford-study-finds-1479752576

More than two out of three middle-schoolers couldn’t see any valid reason to mistrust a post written by a bank executive arguing that young adults need more financial-planning help.

Shocking!  You'd think the middle school children, known for their strong understanding of all things financial, would be wise enough to carefully consider the motivations a banker might have when offering advice.  

13 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

And he's building censorship tools because he thinks if he kowtows enough to the Chicoms, they'll let Facebook into the Chinese market.

(your daily reminder that Mark Zuckerberg is lucky, not smart)

That tool will serve him well in the US too, the idea that people must be protected from ideas is growing more popular every day.  Corporate censorship will save us.

Overwhelmingly, there was little or no political agenda or ideological underpinning to it, it just boiled down to greed. The rationalizations fly thick and fast and people work hard to justify it but greed remains to biggest motivator.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/11/23/503146770/npr-finds-the-head-of-a-covert-fake-news-operation-in-the-suburbs?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Real question: Are there any large, notable fake news outlets that pander to the left? From all that I've seen and read, it looks like the vast majority of this garbage is being targeted at, and consumed by, conservatives. Are they just easier targets? It seems so to me.

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Real question: Are there any large, notable fake news outlets that pander to the left? From all that I've seen and read, it looks like the vast majority of this garbage is being targeted at, and consumed by, conservatives. Are they just easier targets? It seems so to me.

Occupydemocrats?

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Conservative fake news networks build upon the existing ones built by Fox News, Breitbart, and talk radio, but leverage the sheer size and fast distribution speed of social networks.

It also doesn't help that conservative media has spent several decades telling its audience that the mainstream media and universities are untrustworthy, which means that audience will follow anyone who confirms their biases (like Macedonian teenagers making **** up on boilerplate fake news websites).

The Left simply doesn't have that vast infrastructure because it can rely on university academics who can fact-check in their field of expertise and whom the Left still trusts (though you can see the strains beginning to grow with Hillary's loss). 

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

NYTs?  Dan Rather?  Brian Williams?

19 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

NYTs?  Dan Rather?  Brian Williams?

Please.

You can't compare an actual newspaper with a modicum of journalistic integrity to all the bull**** the right is flinging around these days. FFS, you have Republican congressmen and other elected officials retweeting fake news garbage.

I'll give you Brian Williams, though. Not a big fan.

I thought Williams's sin was that he kept putting himself into the stories. Falsely claiming he was there...

As for Rather..hard to argue a guy who hasn't been part of a news organization for the last 10 years is a leader of false information on the left. I suspect Kilmer is referencing the Texas ANG documents/story on Dubya..which more than likely hastened his retirement. Rather took the hit for reporting on documents that were later found to be forged by a third party.

That said, outside of that story, Rather had a mostly clean record of reporting the news (but with a bias). That's quite different than the post-fact age of the rightwing news sites we've seen the past 5-6 years. 

Archived