Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Rob Kelley Thread.

TradeTheBeal!

Fat Rob, starter

Chris Thompson, back-up/change of pace

Mike Jones, 3rd down back. 

Unconventional, yes, but I would love to see Jones put a focus on pass-pro and getting out to the flat, bowling over DB's, and seeing his occasional fumbles go out of bounds.

9 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Fat Rob, starter

Chris Thompson, back-up/change of pace

Mike Jones, 3rd down back. 

Unconventional, yes, but I would love to see Jones put a focus on pass-pro and getting out to the flat, bowling over DB's, and seeing his occasional fumbles go out of bounds.

That's been my take for a while too.

Reed doesn't even try to block people either. He got blown up twice early on runs that would have gone somewhere if he'd have slowed his guy down. He is soft.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Kelley is okay. With our passing game we'll probably be fine with him starting. He won't wow anyone but he'll get you the consistent 3-4 yards and occasionally get the big one. He's more dependable than Jones right now and that's all you can ask for.

I think it's a little early to say that, he just started his first NFL game. I think,he can be better than ok.In time he could become a very good back. He is quick to the hole,has decent vision,runs very hard,seems like a decent blocker,and thus far has shown no inability to hold onto the football. 

I'm still skeptical on him being the feature guy, though he does little things better then Jones does.  Both of them are young, but I wouldn't be against looking into running back in the offseason, or even going high on a draft pick for a top end talent.  I still haven't given up on Jones (too early), but neither of them are playing at a level to push that redzone offense over the top.  32 teams passed him 7 times, so he may be a good to above average running back, but I'm not sold on him being a great one yet.

As so often happens with Gruden, we didn't really run the ball enough today, so it's hard to judge Rob Kelley. You need to feed RBs a bit to get them going, and we didn't do that with Rob.

Based on what he did do, Kelley was okay. The big run he had towards the end of the game and the TD were good, he kept his legs moving, and he didn't fumble. He only averaged about 4 yards per carry though, he didn't do anything catching the ball, and I don't think he did much in short yardage situations. Some of that may be explained by a lack of opportunities of course, but if Matt Jones put up the same numbers we'd be talking about how terrible he is.

I like all three of our RBs and generally favor the RBBC approach with the guys we have, but to my eyes Jones looks like the better player overall at this point.There were times in this game it would have been nice to have him.

3 hours ago, chrisxcore said:

Not sure what anyone sees in Matt Jones. I was holding out hope, but it's obvious that the run game can be effective with a RB who is decisive and sees the field in front of him. 

Kelley should be our guy going forward.

From watching Kelley run and comparing him to Jones, Kelley has better vision, is more decisive, and oh yeah, he COVERS UP THE BALL. Kelley seemed to always cover up as he runs into coverage. Jones still keeps the ball tucked with 1 arm, which is why he fumbles so much.

IMO, the clear way to go is have Kelley as a 1st and 2nd-down back, Thompson as a 3rd down back, and Jones whenever Kelley gets tired.

The thing with Jones is that he really averages 3 yards a carry but occasionally will break a big run. Kelley is slightly slower (4.68 vs 4.61), but with conditioning I see no reason why he can't get a little faster and make those same big runs.

I wonder if Rob lost 15-20 pounds if he could go from pretty good to near amazing. His vision and explosiveness is hard to teach. Losing some lbs, could make him a lot quicker and potentially much harder to tackle. Also, the holes don't have to be as big for him to run through either ;)

He had a great first cut, maybe a jump cut? on one of his runs. 

Overall he did very good today, facing an aggressive front especially early on that seemed to be run blitzing. I think made us go pass happy more than we planned. He had one drop, but Kirk put him in a tough spot in the 2 targets he got.  

Developmentally speaking, I still want the team to work with Matt as much as possible. He's obviously the more dynamic, capable athlete and has the potential to be a game changer at the position. Higher ceiling, for sure, but Kelley has the higher floor.

For now, I think Kelley should see the majority of snaps. He's the safer play. His instincts are solid and though I don't agree with those who say he has better vision than Matt (he missed enough today and if it was Matt in there he'd be getting murdered for it), he's decisive and more fluid in his cuts. He gets the most out of his limited talent, and that's something that can take you far in this league. 

Maybe a 60/40 split favoring Kelley. I wouldn't be opposed to Kelley getting more than that, but I really don't want to give up on getting Matt reps. 

If we're ever out of the playoff race, I'd like to see the team give Matt the majority of reps at that point. 

It's nice to see that we're doing it right at the position though. Lot of young, developmental talent there between Matt, Kelley and Brown. Excellent third down back in Thompson who's young as well. I feel good about the future there. 

13 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I liked what I saw from Kelley.

With that being said I don't think the team showed much confidence in him today. 

With a extra quarter he still only ended up with what 20 carries.

I thought he should've got the ball a lot more today.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with a lack of confidence here.

We got under 10 points early in the third, and we went pass heavy to close the gap ASAP.

Now we were having so much success through the air that we can hardly fault McVay for sticking to it and blew AWAY that Bengals secondary.

Really like the guy effort in the game, remembering a run in the 3rd or 4th where he's hit behind the LOS and still turns it up into a 4/5 yard gain. I also loved how our interior Line kept pushing him in the back to gain a yard or two. Just like on his TD run, you can clearly see him hit the wall only to have Scherff and Long push the whole stuff forward into the endzone. Was great to see.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Did Gruden ever explain why we didn't run as much yesterday? Typically his response is due to the score and being down by a lot or something but the game was close the entire way and Kirk threw it damn near 50 times.

We ran the ball 27 times, I'd say we ran it a good amount, probably enough to not need to explain the lack of running it. 

He impressed me with this toughness. The Bengals were bringing it and he didn't back down, or avoid contact.  Dare I say he is our toughest back to start a game since Clinton. He pushed a few piles, not unlike has been happening to our D for the past 20+ games. It was nice to see the good guys doing that. I bet Scot was a happy camper.

I've been rooting for Kelley since preseason, his debut at the helm was meh. it wasn't Almo impressive, but I'm sure he gets better with experience. I feel if he bulks up and gets Matt Jones like muscle and athleticism he will be a force. I still say we need both, nothing wrong with have 2 decent backs even if Jones doesn't have his visions or cutback skills. There were some holes where I felt if he got to them sooner but he did see them, and went for them, if he had Jones athleticism, he could have done more with them..

Archived