Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curious case of Josh Doctson M.E.T. , (3-29-17, 100%)

SWFLSkins

I had figured it would take 2-3 years before the Skins would really know what they have in Doctson (especially in the areas of his precision of running pass patterns, his ability to handle more complicated route-trees than in college, his ability to create separation, how well he could handle NFL-level of defenders, and the physicality of NFL play, etc).

Also, considering Doctson's key abilities being his jumping ability, his hands, and how hard he competes for the contested pass, it would be important for him to toughen up his body to handle the physical stress that might result from being used in the more rough and tumble plays that leverage those skills.  (I even recall commenting that Doctson s looked like he needed to bulk up a bit more.)

Unfortunately, Doctson's lingering medical issues have really reduced his chances to pick up that much in pre-season, OTAs, regular season practice, and most especially real game-time experience.  Consequently, I think the coaches won't have an accurate sense of Doctson's cieling until his 3rd year. .... And that assumes Josh manages to stay healthy, in season 2 and beyond!

Let's hope this kid isn't another incarnation of Taylor Jacobs. I'm rooting for him, and hope that the training staff will ensure that they slow his return and let him fully heal before trying to give it a full go. We're pretty loaded at wideout, so there's absolutely no need to rush, unless there's a need for 6 or 7 fades to end a game.

This s worrisome at best.  Fantastic ability and measurables.  We really do need to go slow here.  In our favor is that it's not a degenerative knee disorder, such as Malcolm Kelly's.  We really should error on the side of caution.  Achilles tendons are tricky. I never hurt mine. but played with guys who did.  Pain, or more so, tightness, would just "pop up", for seemingly no reason.  It seemed to be about a year, and everything was perfectly normal.  A weird injury, unlike my destroyed knees, which are simple. Just what I've seen and heard from others.  Go slow.  Hail 

I am more than likely being "that guy", but Doctson is making me lose sleep.  I ruptured my Achilles about 6 months back (rehab sucks, leg is super small after sitting on a couch for two months post surgery).  Annnnnnnyway, in my discussions with my doctor, we ended up talking about how there really is no such thing as a "small Achilles issue".  Tendinitis is super problematic because if the amount of weight the tendon is consistently holding.  Like, career altering problematic.  I am holding out hope that because he is dealing with millionaire doctors, he will get rich people treatment and all will be well, but I have to admit I already have my sigh ready for when he gets IR'd.

I think it's just an honest day to day type injury and there's nothing anyone can do anything about. One day it's fine, the next it's sore and flares up. They can treat it as much as possible, but it seems like it's just super random. 

That must be extremely frustrating for everyone. But I don't see why questioning his toughness or even the truth about it comes into play at all. 

Doctson said himself in an interview during preseason that it was tendonosis, not tendonitis. I posted about this then in the Twitter thread. It has been underreported by the media. 

Tendonosis can heal, but it takes 3-6 months off your feet and can be painful intermittently. He will have some good days and some bad. Google the differences for yourself, but there is really nothing that can be done until he goes to IR or makes it to the off-season.

1 hour ago, lavar1156 said:

Seems like we're approaching toughness territory. Jay seems perturbed. 

I sniffed this out weeks ago and got hammered in the Doctson thread for it, it was clear to me weeks ago that Jay was getting frustrated and didn't seem to understand why the kid wasn't playing, but of course he can't say that.

I really think Doctson will be a star for us, but in all honesty, we needed a DL over a WR. Hindsight is 20/20 I know, but imagine Reed right now with Baker/RJF/Jenkins/Murphy, we still draft Su'a, but then we instead take Fuller or Sharpe at WR. Again, Scot Mac knows his ****, but we badly needed a DL with that first pick. 

1 hour ago, blitzpackage said:

Doctson said himself in an interview during preseason that it was tendonosis, not tendonitis. I posted about this then in the Twitter thread. It has been underreported by the media. 

Tendonosis can heal, but it takes 3-6 months off your feet and can be painful intermittently. He will have some good days and some bad. Google the differences for yourself, but there is really nothing that can be done until he goes to IR or makes it to the off-season.

How come you can say something stated so simply and effective but the Redskins can't seem to figure anything out,  curious indeed

I'm usually as level-headed of a fan as they come but this just smells like a bust. Unless it's a can't-miss generational talent I hate the proposition of drafting a WR or RB in the first round. He has looked like crap since he's been with us, injured or not. Shut him down for the rest of the year and hope he can look ok during OTA. At this point I'm relying on Cravens and Fuller to be the saviors of this draft class. Could tell in GMSM post-draft presser he wasn't nearly as excited in this class compared to last years. With a nice amount of picks upcoming, I wouldn't expect a consecutive crap draft class from Scot 

8 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

I sniffed this out weeks ago and got hammered in the Doctson thread for it, it was clear to me weeks ago that Jay was getting frustrated and didn't seem to understand why the kid wasn't playing, but of course he can't say that.

So you made this up weeks before anyone else, then? Congrats, I guess. 

Archived