Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(MERGED 5x) ESPN reports - Bucs "deactivate" Keyshawn Johnson

Skinhead

Originally posted by jbooma

Is this also a sign from Gruden saying the season is over. Keyshawn does have 600 yds and 3 tds so he has been having a decent year.

Not really. That translates roughly to 1000 yards and 5 TD's for the season. And he averages too few yards per catch. I'd expect the #1 WR on a WCO team to have a lot more production than that.

BTW, this is how you shake up a team, not by releasing a couple of backups like we did a couple of weeks ago.

Originally posted by redman

BTW, this is how you shake up a team, not by releasing a couple of backups like we did a couple of weeks ago.

And who on our team would we have deactivated?? Keyshawn openly said he wanted to play for Parcells and was selling his home. He is old, slow and a big mouth and a cancer in the locker room. We don't have that same type person and problem.

Originally posted by jbooma

And who on our team would we have deactivated?? Keyshawn openly said he wanted to play for Parcells and was selling his home. He is old, slow and a big mouth and a cancer in the locker room. We don't have that same type person and problem.

Bruce Smith.

This from Buccaneers.com

Nov 18, 2003 - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will be making an announcement regarding a team issue by 3:00 p.m. Tuesday. That news will be posted on Buccaneers.com when it is released.

General Manager Rich McKay will hold a press conference at 4:00 p.m. Tuesday. The press conference will be carried live on Buccaneers.com and a transcript will be posted shortly after its conclusion.

This just goes to show you what happens when you trade TWO #1 draft picks for a player. Its not worth it. The team trading the draft picks usually gets ripped off.

Keshawn ... and then there was Joey Galloway.... and then Sean Gilbert.

Thats why I think we will be lucky if we can get a #1 and #3 pick for Champ, assuming he is asking for too many pesos and we deal him. :)

I would have released Sapp... At least Keyshaw has done alot for the inner city in Los Angeles like creating jobs and businesses, and besides putting his foot in his mouth is a good person. The only thing I've ever heard about Sapp doing for the inner city is occasionly paying child support.

It could also have the opposite effect.

If you go around releasing starters then you put more pressure on your backups, some of whom may not be completely ready.

i.e, releasing Champ or Smoot and starting Jimoh. The results could be lethal.

The Bucs are fortunate though because their third WR is.........oh wait.....no....they don't have one. They're really going to suck horribly now. Why couldn't they do this BEFORE they played us!!!

Keyshwan said that Gruden never liked him and he told Gruden that he would rather retire then play for him in 2004. He did say he never told anyone this and promised to play hard because he honestly believed they could win the superbowl again. He is currently looking for an apartment in NY.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57410-2003Nov18.html

Keyshawn Johnson to Sit Out Rest of Season

Associated Press

Tuesday, November 18, 2003; 2:34 PM

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay star receiver Keyshawn Johnson was declared inactive for the rest of the season Tuesday, a team source said on condition of anonymity.

The Buccaneers planned a late-afternoon news conference with general manager Rich McKay to discuss the status of the two-time Pro Bowl selection.

Johnson, acquired in a trade with the New York Jets in 2000, was the Bucs' leading receiver the past three seasons and helped them win their first Super Bowl in January.

The eight-year pro, who is midway through a $56 million contract that included a $13 million signing bonus, has been unhappy with his role in coach Jon Gruden's offense during a disappointing 4-6 start for the defending champions.

Johnson put his Tampa home up for sale last week and has been dropping not-so-subtle hints in the locker room he does not wish to remain in Tampa Bay beyond 2003.

Johnson is the second-fastest player to get 600 catches in a career, behind only Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison. He is the Bucs' third-leading receiver this season with 45 catches for 600 yards and three touchdowns.

Telephone calls to Johnson were not immediately returned.

This is from NFL.COM

Bucs WR Keyshawn Johnson deactivated

By Steve Cohen

NFL Fantasy Extra Editor-in-Chief

Nov. 18, 2003

Get the edge in your fantasy league

with NFL Fantasy Extra! Click here!

Keyshawn Johnson will be deactivated for the final six games of the NFL season.

"From what I understand the team has deactivated me for the remainder of the season and they are going to pay me the remainder of my salary," said Johnson.

Johnson, who had just gotten off a plane when reached in an airport, still was unsure as to why the Buccaneers decided to make this move.

"I don't know much other than that because I'm traveling right now and I just had a brief conversation with the general manager (Rich McKay) and a brief conversation with my agent."

So what's next for Johnson?

"I'm going about it as it comes and I'm looking forward to working out and continuing to stay healthy and look and see what happens next year. I don't know what's going to happen but I just want to be a part of a football team that I could give my services to."

The Bucs cannot release Johnson because they would take an immediate $7 million cap hit and they're currently just $395,000 million under the cap, so releasing him would put them $6.605 million over the cap.

Here is GM McKay's comments:

Nov 18, 2003 -

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers today announced that WR Keyshawn Johnson will likely be declared inactive for the club’s final six regular season games this season.

“Keyshawn has made it very clear to us that he has no intention of wanting to remain as a Buccaneer beyond the 2003 season, and this approach and his actions are having a negative affect on our football team,” said Buccaneers General Manager Rich McKay. “Like every team in the NFL, we are focused on winning football games. From a players’ perspective, from a coaches’ perspective, from an organizational perspective, this situation has become a distraction. This was an organizational decision in the best interest of winning.

“In talking with Jerome Stanley (Keyshawn Johnson’s agent) and Keyshawn, we agreed that it will not be necessary for him to be present at our facility for the remainder of the year.”

Johnson started the first 10 games in 2003, totaling 45 receptions for 600 yards and three TDs. He has started 57 games for Tampa Bay since joining the team prior to the 2000 season.

General Manager Rich McKay will conduct a press conference at 4:00 p.m. to discuss this issue. that press conference will be carried live on Buccaneers.com. After its conclusion, a taped version of the press conference as well as a full transcript will be posted.

Watch out the rest of you loudmouth sh8theads.....

Thanks OM for making this thread and all of it's info accessabile...

But BTW, why does everyone have to be scoopman. For all I know maybe OM enjoys this, but I kinda doubt it. That is just a pain in the ass. I woulda killed someone trying to sort through all of this crap if Om hadn't merged these threads.....

Ok enough a*s kissing, proceed...........

I heard that Johnson missed 2 meetings, missed curfews--going around the locker room telling anyone who would listen that he wouldn't be back next year. Also, the Bucs will pay his one million dollar roster bonus next spring so they can keep his rights and trade him.

Archived