Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Redskins appear to be a franchise one can love. But when do you know it’s real?

TSO

Posted by Hap in BRBN

If this is an act, the Washington Redskins have gone a spectacularly long time without breaking character. They have this rational franchise bit down pat, so perfectly it’s eerie. Or surreal. But what if it’s just plain real?

Over the past two decades, NFL fans in Washington have learned to protect themselves against impending doom. Skepticism is their armor, and it has proven useful. But like those unlucky in love, they’re now forced to look at something new, something that makes the heart beat a little faster, and ask a complicated question.

When do you know if it’s real?

As the encore to a breakthrough season begins, your favorite dysfunctional football team appears solid again, same as it has been for more than a year. The players are committed. The front office is focused. The lack of drama is delightful, and the talent is good enough. It’s a kind of tranquility that precedes a long run of success. It’s a kind of tranquility that precedes catastrophe, too.

So would you rather brace for a storm or prepare for a revival?

Bills_Redskins_Football-049da-1904.jpg?uuid=8okQYnYSEeaBSbjQUyHbYg&w=600 Redskins cornerback Quinton Dunbar, left, and running back Mack Brown leave the field after a preseason game. The presence of players from inside the organization on the final roster is a sign of growth, but will victories follow the growth? (Nick Wass/Associated Press)

It could go either way, honestly. This is the tipping season, the year that right starts cruising toward Gibbs-ian stability or wrong renders a good thing futile once more. The optimists and pessimists are jockeying for the best “I told you so” position. 

When do you know whether it’s real?

click on the link for more

Another gem from Jerry Brewer, but I've got to be honest, I'm kind of proud that this article features my whole theme for the preseason game blogs here and here. It's the same "is it real?" theme. Nice to know we're on the same page, lol. 

I can see my wife right now acting like she's pumping air in reference to my head getting bigger. :ols: 

26 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

For a minute there I thought this was gonna be a Whitesnake video re-make.

Great news - thesubmittedone is willing to put on a flowing white dress and writhe around on top of a Jaguar regardless

We've had other, even more promising upticks before. I was VERY optimistic in 1999, 2005, and 2012 given how those seasons came together (organic rebuild with a pedigreed coordinator, Gibbs, seemingly transcendent rookie QB). It would actually be pretty funny if the combination of McCloughan, Gruden, and Cousins were the ones to put us back on track for a sustainable amount of time. 

I'll stay cautious until I see us do something we haven't done in 20-25 years (back-to-back winning seasons and/or back-to-back playoff seasons).  

59 minutes ago, zoony said:

Great news - thesubmittedone is willing to put on a flowing white dress and writhe around on top of a Jaguar regardless

57 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Keep your fantasies to yourself! 

Ah. Now I know why this thread smells like Chanel #5. :ols:

How to know on the right track?

1) Keep it drama free. So far so good

2) Start to establish some dominance in the division. Last year the team was 4-2. This is not a good division. The team needs to go 5-1

3) It is though a tough schedule. I would be incredibly happy with a 10-6 season considering some of the weaknesses of this roster. Do that and things are looking very good 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We've had other, even more promising upticks before. I was VERY optimistic in 1999, 2005, and 2012 given how those seasons came together (organic rebuild with a pedigreed coordinator, Gibbs, seemingly transcendent rookie QB). It would actually be pretty funny if the combination of McCloughan, Gruden, and Cousins were the ones to put us back on track for a sustainable amount of time. 

I'll stay cautious until I see us do something we haven't done in 20-25 years (back-to-back winning seasons and/or back-to-back playoff seasons).  

We may be like a drug addict who keeps just getting enough of a high to keep dealing with mostly **** experiences.

Only thing, the end of 1998 saw us go on a 6-3 roll with two of those losses being very close.  In 2004, we began to see life in what was a useless offense and finished up looking good.  In 2011, it was pretty obvious that team only needed a good QB to have won the division.  2014 ended in a hot mess.  We went 1-7 after the turn including a couple of sound drubbings.  I was confident going into 1999, 2005 and 2012 that we'd at least put up good showings.  With the exception of the SM hiring which only gave me some confidence that the longer term future might be bright, at this time in 2015, I was pretty sure we'd be looking for a new coach this year.

To me it depends what your definition of real is. Is this a team that will contend for a championship right now? No its not. But we have definitely seen the front office set up in a way that leads to success in other cities. We have also seen a person evaluating talent that actually knows what he is doing. The biggest questions about whether this is real or not will be answered this year. Those questions to me are:

1) Is Cousins a true franchise QB. Lets face it. The one common theme with winning organizations is stability at the QB position. Cousins got an entire offseason as the guy. I for one cant wait to see what he does with the team this year. 

2) Is the Norman signing more of the same old thing? I am not bashing Norman here. I think he is a great player. But he is also now the highest paid CB in the league. And I dont think anyone here would argue with me when I say he isnt the best corner in the league. Hell, there is a guy on the other side that may be just as good as Norman. The whole deal just kind of felt like the old way the Skins did things. Get Norman here and dont let him leave. I am glad he's with us. But I do feel we overpaid. Scott's philosophy is to build through the draft. So I was surprised to see this move made actually.

3) How do we handle a first place schedule. I know a lot of you dont think the schedule matters. But there is no denying the second half of the schedule is brutal. A lot of travel to play very good teams. I am curious to see how this team handles it.

4) Back to Back division champs? No team has won the NFCE back to back since Philly did it 2003/2004. This division is set up to be taken of advantage of right now. Philly: New coach-Rookie QB. Dallas: Rookie QB and suspensions galore. Giants: Rookie head coach and a free agency frenzy which has never worked for anyone before. The division is weak. A real contender should dominate it easily.

5) Can Gruden take the next step? I have actually been impressed with Gruden. He has gotten better with each game as a head coach IMO. Will he take the next step up to an elite head coach? Taking risks when the timing is right. Limiting errors and penalties. Making smart time and game management decisions. these are the things I will be looking for.

6) Win a playoff game? This is the final nail in my belief coffin. If we are real. Win the division. Then win a playoff game. There is enough talent on this roster to win a playoff game. It is time to man up and do it.

I cant remember the last time I was this excited for a season to start. I personally feel there is no denying that the Redskins are a up and coming team. For once we can say that they are truly heading in the right direction. Knocking the above things off of the list takes them to the next level of consistent contender IMO. Here's to a great year!

4 hours ago, TK said:

Ah. Now I know why this thread smells like Chanel #5. :ols:

How did I not see that coming! :ols:

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

In what parallel dimension is that considered "great news" lol...

I know right? I always assumed zoony was staring at me angrily, but now I realize I may have mistaken that for something else. :unsure: :ols: 

I am coming from a place of optimism, I suspect things will turn out fine.  However, from the fan base point of view -- we've being doing the equivalent of having that occasional date with the hot model and thinking its just the beginning and then when its time for date #2, it all quickly comes crashing down.

I said this on another thread but I think the Steelers as the first opponent is a poetic start to the season.  That's a team that goes out with the hot models every year, its not a big deal to them, they expect success, they are consistent at it.  I was watching the show Football Tonight this week and a reporter was saying Steeler fans aren't just expecting to win but are expecting a blow out.    The old Redskins would be blown out at home on national TV.  

We haven't beaten the Steelers since 1991.  This is a good test to see if this is the new Redskins who aren't the occasional flash in the pan but are looking to join the perennial contenders. 

3 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

How to know on the right track?

1) Keep it drama free. So far so good

2) Start to establish some dominance in the division. Last year the team was 4-2. This is not a good division. The team needs to go 5-1

3) It is though a tough schedule. I would be incredibly happy with a 10-6 season considering some of the weaknesses of this roster. Do that and things are looking very good 

For me? I know it might sound crazy, but it's not tied to wins/losses. 

So long as the team remains steady on the guiding principles that have allowed them to grow this far, namely:

1) Bringing in people who love football and have an undying work ethic to get better. 

2) Letting go of guys who show the opposite no matter their pedigree (Amerson, for instance). 

3) An intense focus on developing young players and seeing the fruits of that as the season progresses via their growth (last year was amazing in this regard, unlike any other witnessed by Skins fans in forever). 

4) General professionalism from everyone where the focus is on football and the team is together no matter what adversity they face. 

5) Coaches continue to scheme well and adjust to personnel (due to injuries or changes in the lineup for other reasons), as indicated by the way we came out against the majority of teams last year, often leading by the half.

Something that often goes unnoticed, but we won the game plan aspect of coaching during the week almost every game. Adjustments in game seemed to be trouble at first, but then they got that right as well, even with all the injuries they were dealing with. Very impressive. 

6) Playing the best players as soon as they earn it, again, no matter their pedigree. Last year Baker got the start over Paea early during the season, Compton took over for Robinson, Blackmon coming off the street and playing immediately, Dashaun Phillips winning the slot job this offseason, etc...

If I continue to see those things, I'm sure wins will come, but for me I'm not going to sweat the losses as much. I know we'll still be on the right track and that a few more upgrades here or there personnel wise would turn us into contenders pretty quickly.  

1 hour ago, Chachie said:

Waiting to exhale but I feel like I'll be holding my breath until either deep playoffs or 2017.

You aren't alone.

Unrelated, I just went to Erols Blockbuster to rent Waiting to Exhale. They put me on the waiting to exhale waiting list, but told me don't hold your breath. #Homer

8 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

You aren't alone.

Unrelated, I just went to Erols Blockbuster to rent Waiting to Exhale. They put me on the waiting to exhale waiting list, but told me don't hold your breath. #Homer

Umm, did you start writing that joke in 1999?   

BTW,who's the new writer, that was like a breath of fresh air.   Reminded me of back when the washingtonpost was readable,..and friday nights were Blockbuster nights :-)

What I'm absolutely terrified of, ironically, is becoming the post-McCloughan 49ers. They hired a great coach to utilize the roster he built the foundation of, faked the fanbase out for 3-4 years with a nice stream of NFC championship appearances coming after years of being awful...and then their terrible owner, Jed York, and his cronies ****ed it all up, ran Harbaugh out of the building just as McCloughan's roster from years earlier finally started to fall apart, and sunk right back to being a laughing stock, where I'm betting they'll stay for quite a while.

I mean, don't get me wrong--I'd love to have that stretch of competence, bordering on dominance on at least one side of the ball. I just don't want it to end ugly and in a huge, depressing backslide like it did for 9ers fans.

Archived