Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

Well..I'm a Navy Brat. The son of a retired O-6 (someone who spent 30+ years serving the country). So I know the military, even if its indirectly and not in the full capacity of having served. 

And yes, I'd still bet that most don't think of the military during the anthem. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, KingGibbs said:

Well my son is active duty, my dad, his dad and all of my Uncle's are retired military. All of them that have passed were honored with a military funeral and a flag draped over their casket. One just last Thursday.

Here's another one for you Evil. The Steelers stood united and held the flag in honor of their left tackle that served three tours of duty.

Edited by KingGibbs

1 hour ago, KingGibbs said:

Are you serious Evil? We don't think about the military during the Anthem? What a dumbass statement. 

The Honor guard is on the field holding the flag DURING the Anthem. Military personnel SING the Anthem. There are flyovers just as the Anthem ends. The public announcer says "Please rise as we honor the men and women of our armed forces" before the Anthem begins.

Again. Stupid statement on your part.

Every single thread about issues like this, you come in guns a blazing and usually make yourself look bad and like an jerk.  Now that that is out of the way, just because the announcer says that doesn't mean that is what everyone is doing or thinking about.  Kap has stated that his intent was not to offend the military and he even started kneeling instead of sitting after talking to a former player/vet.  

But let's just look past that because he can't be telling the truth right?  If you are as American as you claim to be you would understand that his right to protest/disagree is also included in what our military is fighting for, our freedom to do so.  

Me personally, I wish he would have found a different way to protest.  He didn't though and he has raised awareness and brought national attention to an issue that needs to be addressed.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Every single thread about issues like this, you come in guns a blazing and usually make yourself look bad and like an jerk.  Now that that is out of the way, just because the announcer says that doesn't mean that is what everyone is doing or thinking about.  Kap has stated that his intent was not to offend the military and he even started kneeling instead of sitting after talking to a former player/vet.  

But let's just look past that because he can't be telling the truth right?  If you are as American as you claim to be you would understand that his right to protest/disagree is also included in what our military is fighting for, our freedom to do so.  

Me personally, I wish he would have found a different way to protest.  He didn't though and he has raised awareness and brought national attention to an issue that needs to be addressed.  

the flag obviously means different things to different people. i absolutely believe Kap when he says he doesnt mean any disrespect. but that doesnt mean people arent going to be offended by him kneeling. 

i know people who embrace the confederate flag. they swear it has nothing to do with slavery, but that doesnt mean some people are going to be offended when they see it. 

of course, theres our own washington football club. i dont think theres a fan that means any offense by the name, but, to the activists, all we've read for the past couple of decades was that it didnt matter- they are offended nonetheless.

8 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

He can send a message without insulting Whatever you say Taze. I'm adamant about my support for the men and women of our military. He could convey his message through other avenues. Go check what Ray Lewis had to say about it.

I said I didn't agree with the way he protested.  But it's his right to do it however he sees fit and within the law, that is also part of what our military is fighting for.  I fully support the military and stand during the anthem and honor our country and military.  

Disagree with his actions, fine, but he has accomplished what he set out to do, which is bring attention to serious issue that still plagues our country.

The only thing he has accomplished is more division. For some it's a race issue. For me it's strictly military. I will stand by millions of service men and women who take pride in our flag before I stand by a privileged athlete that uses the flag for his own agenda.

Two words. Iwo Jima.

3 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I said I didn't agree with the way he protested.  But it's his right to do it however he sees fit and within the law, that is also part of what our military is fighting for.  I fully support the military and stand during the anthem and honor our country and military.  

Disagree with his actions, fine, but he has accomplished what he set out to do, which is bring attention to serious issue that still plagues our country.

And no one is disagreeing that he has the right.  But we all have the right to criticize him for doing it.  Many seem to miss that part.  Kaep hasn't done what he set out to do though.  We are talking about if it's right to sit or not for the anthem.  Not the race issue.  

For the record, in my opinion and using my 1st amendment right, you are a d-bag if you shout O or Red during the anthem.  I don't care if you are in Baltimore or whatever.  If you want to sit due to a societal issue, cool.  I don't agree with it but I get it.  If you manipulate our nation's song to show support for a freaking baseball team, you just don't get it.

• Like 2

No matter what Kap did to protest he was going to be shouted down. Doesn't matter if he took full page ads out in every major newspaper or billboards in every major city. 

People don't want to hear it and they will fight tooth and nail with the proxy attacks to make it go away. 

Theres never a good, convenient time to protest. Cracking down on his free speech reminds me of the actions repressive regimes take and not those of democracies.

37 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And no one is disagreeing that he has the right.  But we all have the right to criticize him for doing it.  Many seem to miss that part.  Kaep hasn't done what he set out to do though.  We are talking about if it's right to sit or not for the anthem.  Not the race issue.  

For the record, in my opinion and using my 1st amendment right, you are a d-bag if you shout O or Red during the anthem.  I don't care if you are in Baltimore or whatever.  If you want to sit due to a societal issue, cool.  I don't agree with it but I get it.  If you manipulate our nation's song to show support for a freaking baseball team, you just don't get it.

I never said nobody can't criticize him or disagree with how he chooses to protest.  And Kap has absolutely done what he set out to do, think big picture, his protest got media attention, then they interviewed him and asked why he was doing it, he explained the reason behind his actions.  

He also donated 1 million dollars to his cause and 100% of his earnings from his jersey sales to his cause.  I'd say that most likely wouldn't have happened had he taken a different approach to the issue than sitting (now taking a knee) during the national anthem.  He used his voice through social media prior to and it didn't get enough attention, so he took it a step further.  

20 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

I disagree Elessar. The majority of people aren't upset with his message, but his method. 

What other method should he have taken?  I've said before that I didn't agree with how he chose to protest, but accept that it is his right to choose.  He was active on social media about his cause (from what I've read) and nothing really developed.  I don't know what more he could have done to gain the national exposure that his protest has now gained.

31 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

No matter what Kap did to protest he was going to be shouted down. Doesn't matter if he took full page ads out in every major newspaper or billboards in every major city. 

People don't want to hear it and they will fight tooth and nail with the proxy attacks to make it go away. 

Theres never a good, convenient time to protest. Cracking down on his free speech reminds me of the actions repressive regimes take and not those of democracies.

Who is cracking down on him?  We are just voicing our opinions, which is our right, same as him.

6 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I never said nobody can't criticize him or disagree with how he chooses to protest.  And Kap has absolutely done what he set out to do, think big picture, his protest got media attention, then they interviewed him and asked why he was doing it, he explained the reason behind his actions.  

He also donated 1 million dollars to his cause and 100% of his earnings from his jersey sales to his cause.  I'd say that most likely wouldn't have happened had he taken a different approach to the issue than sitting (now taking a knee) during the national anthem.  He used his voice through social media prior to and it didn't get enough attention, so he took it a step further.  

I didn't mean to imply you said otherwise.  I was more using your post to expand with my thoughts.  Sorry for the confusion.  I do disagree with the effect though.

25 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

I disagree Elessar. The majority of people aren't upset with his message, but his method. 

Ibeen a lot of articles written, news shows, documentaries, marches, riots about inequality and police violence against minorities-in my lifetime nothing has sparked more conversation about it.

Sorry if you feel disrespected because of the sacrifices your family made. He/we feel disrespected  in our own way in this country.

its pretty one sided to say that service men and women did their duty to protect a flag, but not first amendment rights and for (some) law enforcement officers to act all racist. 

7 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Who is cracking down on him?  We are just voicing our opinions, which is our right, same as him.

I didn't mean to imply you said otherwise.  I was more using your post to expand with my thoughts.  Sorry for the confusion.  I do disagree with the effect though.

Oh now it's a free speech thing. Got it.

if all the anthem is to you is a paean to the military,,that's a shame. Such a narrow view of our country is hard for me to fathom. The over-militaristic and ultra nationalist path we're on will not end well. Historically, it never does.

this country is so much more, and as a "NATIONAL" anthem it represents all of the facets that make us who and what we are.

~Bang

• Like 2