Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

55 minutes ago, KLJ said:

sterling?  what does sterling have to do with this?  most owners in these leagues are old men.  of course THEY view the players as kids compared to them..  get over it..

At least attempt to comprehend what gamebreaker was trying to say. 

You have forward-thinking, progressive owners like Cuban...and then you have guys like Donald Sterling who represent everything that's wrong with ownership in professional sports.  Openly racist, deplorable, and part of an old-boy network which made him untouchable for a number of years.  Folks like him don't view the athletes as "kids."  Sorry to break it to you. 

3 minutes ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

There will always be police shootings because there will always be people that can't follow instructions.

Right.  Because having an itchy trigger-finger or being under-trained/ill-prepared have nothing to do with it. 

Get outta here.  SMH.  Pathetic. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

At least attempt to comprehend what gamebreaker was trying to say. 

You have forward-thinking, progressive owners like Cuban...and then you have guys like Donald Sterling who represent everything that's wrong with ownership in professional sports.  Openly racist, deplorable, and part of an old-boy network which made him untouchable for a number of years.  Folks like him don't view the athletes as "kids."  Sorry to break it to you. 

Right.  Because having an itchy trigger-finger or being under-trained/ill-prepared have nothing to do with it. 

Get outta here.  SMH.  Pathetic. 

In most of these cases,that has nothing to do with it. Like I said, if folks would follow instructions, these things wouldn't be happening. The truth hurts, I know.

30 minutes ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

There will always be police shootings because there will always be people that can't follow instructions.

This is part of it.  There will be always be shootings partly because someone doesn't follow instructions and partly because there are some that are just bad cops.  And you will never solve 100% of either.  There will always be a few bad apples in the police dept just as there will be a few bad priests, doctors, military members, teachers, etc.  Every field that we would love to believe is filed with nothing but upstanding citizens will have a few bad apples.  Not admitting that is just hurting both sides of the argument.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This is part of it.  There will be always be shootings partly because someone doesn't follow instructions and partly because there are some that are just bad cops.  And you will never solve 100% of either.  There will always be a few bad apples in the police dept just as there will be a few bad priests, doctors, military members, teachers, etc.  Every field that we would love to believe is filed with nothing but upstanding citizens will have a few bad apples.  Not admitting that is just hurting both sides of the argument.

I never said there weren't bad cops. Of course there are. I'm speaking specifically about all these overblown national cases that make the headlines. In each in every case, someone died because they either refused to drop a weapon, went for an officer's weapon, pointed something at them in a shooting stance, assaulted a cop, etc. 

Heck, even in the case in SC where the guy ran from the cops, and the Garner case, where he resisted arrest. Both guys would still be alive today if they could only follow instructions. Same thing in Tulsa.

1 hour ago, KLJ said:

sterling?  what does sterling have to do with this?  most owners in these leagues are old men.  of course THEY view the players as kids compared to them..  get over it..

Get over what? LOL! Seems like you're the one that needs to get over players kneeling. I'm good. I'm not missing games over this. Maybe you should take up hockey where those troublesome minorities aren't numerous enough to upset you with their opinions and stuff. 

So you've gone from stereotyping all NFL players as kids to stereotyping all NFL owners as old men. Old, white men. And yet you have no idea why I mentioned Donald Sterling, who spoke of his players in recorded conversations like they were children and his property. Maybe you should think before you post. 

53 minutes ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

Tone deaf statements being repeated ad nauseum, while ignoring all the evidence that shows these statements are false really isn't helping this discussion. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

In most of these cases,that has nothing to do with it. Like I said, if folks would follow instructions, these things wouldn't be happening. The truth hurts, I know.

You completely contradicted your own statement by saying "in most cases", which is also false anyway. Saying these things wouldn't be happening, yet admitting in your mind that not all cases happen due to someone "not following instructions" shows how ridiculous you sound. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

You completely contradicted your own statement by saying "in most cases", which is also false anyway. Saying these things wouldn't be happening, yet admitting in your mind that not all cases happen due to someone "not following instructions" shows how ridiculous you sound. 

Reading is fundamental, bro.

44 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Tone deaf statements being repeated ad nauseum, while ignoring all the evidence that shows these statements are false really isn't helping this discussion. 

that cuts both ways.

it's just become annoying at this point.

there's certainly an issue with bad cops. the national cases, however, are almost entirely situations where the police are justified.

the side you're championing has been wrong, and loudly wrong, time and time again, and is putting out statistics they obviously don't understand and/or have put little meaningful thought into, to support a narrative that isn't true, and is itself ignoring evidence.

then they get all worked up and start calling the people who disagree with them dumb, racist, etc.

it's a joke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I'm starting to think none of this matters. As in the players protesting has zero effect at all.

Not a condemnation on anyone. I just think it's pointless. 

Let me rephrase that, it is not pointless - the message is a strong one. I just don't think much change is going to occur. There is always going to be police shootings, that's just the society we live in. There are going to be prejudiced and ill-prepared cops. Just like there are always going to be criminals.

We don't live in paradise, sorry to inform you guys. Not referring to anyone particular.

I think you're spot on.  As evidenced by the posts above, each side is entrenched and unwavering in their beliefs.  For better or worse, each side believes that they are right and the other is wrong.  There is little to no compromise on this, as compromise is now a bad thing in the  current political system.

Not that I agree or disagree with either of the above, but it's obvious that no progress is being made.

• Like 1

i find it interesting the ratings issue is being blamed on this...

i think there's something else going on.

people are dropping ESPN from their package in droves and it's not because of this.

there's been an idea going around that the NFL has peaked (in terms of ratings/ad revenue/interest.) the NFL itself has shown they saw a problem a few years ago when they started courting women (they've taped out the men market)

almost everywhere you look people dislike the direction the league is going on, people hate the commissioner, people are getting fed up with expensive TV packages and doing everything they can to drop them. season ticket/game attendance is down across the league.

just seems like something else is going on.

15 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Any reference for that?  Because the DoD was paying the NFL before that.  

No. That was what was inferred from the article and you are most likely correct about that. I'm not aware of pay for patriotism from the DOD prior to 2009, but it doesn't surprise me.

Do you have an idea how much was paid in prior years to the NFL? 

2 hours ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

Does that "people" also include the police that are making the shootings? Or are you placing the blame solely on the "suspects"?

Edited by The Evil Genius

11 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Wasnt that a specific question though?  If the protests were the reason people werent watching?

No, the question was whether they were more or less likely to watch a game now because of that.

One could easy respond "I am less likely to watch an NFL game", and still watch NFL games. The question was not "Are you not watching football because of this?" The headline/article is twisting it into that. The question asked and the options given, matter.

People have been dropping ESPN subscriptions in droves. They were doing it before this started. ESPN also happens to be the most expensive, non premium add on. Maybe that makes up for the "whopping 19 percent" fall in MNF ratings? Makes way more sense than people have decided not to watch football because of CK... Oh and the Presidential debate went up against the last one...

The article even concedes that sports medias has "dismissed" this idea.

People have been ****ing about how terrible the thursday night games are since they expanded them. The NFL even went into this stupid "color rush" thing (some of those uniforms look pretty cool) to try to draw people to it. They've dropped the NFL Network only and are now simulcasting it with standard channels because the ratings sucked (by NFL standards.)

Until this year (or was it last?) the NFL's salary cap was stagnant and on the verge of dropping, and its increase has to do with revenue. In fact, the year they took our (and cowboys) cap space away and redistributed it, the NFL was about to have to lower the cap for the first time in a long time; redistributing ours allowed them to keep it even.

There's signs everywhere that there has been a problem growing. I find it somewhat ridiculous it's being blamed on CK. And for what? One poll that showed 32% of adults say they're "less likely" to watch a game because of it?

Sorry. Not buying it.

Edited by tshile

25 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Do you have an idea how much was paid in prior years to the NFL? 

I just spent about a minute searching for years prior to 2008 and couldn't find anything.  I know it was happening though because I remember stories about it not long after I enlisted (2002).  I don't have time at the moment to dig too much.

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Does that "people" also include the police that are making the shootings? Or are you placing the blame solely on the "suspects"?

I don't know how I can make it any more clearer for you, man.

The police shootings wouldn't be HAPPENING, if people could follow the officer's instructions. 

And like I said, this even pertains to the cases such as in Tulsa and Officer Slager (think that's right) in SC, where the police shootings were unjustified. In other words, if Crutcher doesn't idiotically walk back towards his SUV (when he's given commands not to) and reach towards his vehicle, then there would have BEEN no shooting. Likewise in SC, if the suspect didn't start running away from Officer Slager, then, at worst, he's arrested.