Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#Redskins & Jets Post Game Quotes

TK

stripe%20break_zpsjltww2rf.gif

:247:REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN:247:

On the injury to RB Matt Jones:

"Matt Jones has a slight separation on his AC joint. We’ll get him checked out, get him rehabbed and hopefully he won’t be out too long."

On the decision to rest QB Kirk Cousins:

"It was my decision this morning. We have a lot of good players in this locker room and I wanted to make sure our backups were ready to play at all times. We had a lot of our backups step up into starting roles last year and I thought it was important for Colt [McCoy] to get some quality work and quality defense, along with some of the other guys that played, in first-team roles.”

On how frustrating it is to rest starters and have backups injured:
“It’s important to rest the starters. We had Trent [Williams] and Jordan [Reed] out on injury, but I wanted to get [Jamison] Crowder, [Ryan] Grant and [Rashad] Ross a lot of key work. It’s a little upsetting, but I think he [Matt Jones] is going to be okay. I don’t think it’s going to be a long injury. He did get some quality runs today. I was happy with the way he ran the ball.”

On WR Rashad Ross’ performance:

“Solid. Last preseason, he showed up and made some great plays and that’s why we kept him. This preseason so far after two games, he’s done a very nice job. We have two games left and Valdy [Valdez Showers], the other wide receiver has been making plays in the second half. We’re going to have to evaluate and go from there.”

On the comfort level at the running back position:

"Well, we’ll have to wait and see how long he’s going to be out. Watch the film to see how Chris Thompson, [Keith] Marshall and Mack [Brown], see how they did, and obviously Rob [Robert Kelley]. We’ll grade them out. What my level of comfort is will be determined after I watch the film."

On if the starters will play in the fourth preseason game:  

"I don’t know yet, I doubt it. We’re going to play them a lot next week against the Buffalo Bills. We’re going to treat Buffalo very seriously and prepare. Get a good week of preparation. We’ll get some good work next week.”

On QB Nate Sudfeld and the final drive:

"We were trying to get the running game going there. I wanted to get Keith [Marshall] and Robert [Kelley] some quality looks, and Mack [Brown]. I couldn’t get them going. Had some penalties. Took us some quality down and distance. Tough third down and longs. Very tough to convert for a rookie. Then the second half the last drive he was able to get us in rhythm and make some big completions and guys made some plays around him. Made a comeback and made some big plays."

On the defensive starters sitting:

"I wanted to see [Martell] Spaight play with the ones and against a good offense in the New York Jets. I wanted to see [Kendall] Fuller. I wanted to see [Quinton] Dunbar play against Brandon Marshall and some of these guys from the Jets. These guys really showed up in practice. I wanted to see how they did against a heck of a unit like the New York Jets. They showed up and played extremely well."

On how the defense did in the first half:

"I thought they did excellent, you know, really. We had them, what was it, 14-2 at the half? I thought we did pretty good. We had a runner out flying around with the ball, we had a forced fumble, so I was happy with them. We had a decent push in the pocket, good coverage. [Kendall] Fuller and Will Blackmon got a pick, that was good to see. The guys played some quality time against a quality team and played well.”

On WR Kendal Thompson’s game-winning catch:

"I couldn’t really see it, I barely saw it but I was excited to see the catch. I heard it was quite an amazing catch, and the two-point play was a good catch also. So that was a great throw by Nate (Sudfeld), let him have an opportunity to make a play and I always say, give these wide-outs a chance to make plays and they will, and they proved me right again.”

On if the 10 penalties are a concern:

"There were quotation marks on a couple of those. There were a couple of those, like they called an illegal substitution when we had two number 22’s in the game, which shouldn’t have been called. There were a couple others, but its still preseason for the referees, too. We do have to address the penalties that were called that were supposed to be called on us, but we will.”

:247:REDSKINS QB NATE SUDFELD:247:

On the final drive of the game:

“I’m just glad that I finally put together a good drive. I felt like we were just behind chains all day—penalties, bad throws, bad decisions, some drops. So it was really frustrating, kind of early on when I was in. I just didn’t feel like I was able to get in a rhythm. But I was glad they stuck with me, kept giving me good plays so I knew once I made a few completions I would get in a rhythm and knew we could go down and score. So it was really cool to get that touchdown at the end.”

On being a rookie and managing the ups and downs of the game:

“It’s a great point because as a rookie, everybody wants to be perfect. I want to throw every perfect pass. I want every ball to be the right read, the right decision. But what is cool is that it’s preseason and I’m still young, still learning. I’m making mistakes and the big problem is if I repeat mistakes. I made a few mistakes and I was like, ‘Man, I shouldn’t have done that.’ But now I kind of know what it feels like, you know, I can’t do that anymore. These guys are too fast, or that throw won’t work. So again, I got in a rhythm, got a few completions going and we were able to get some swagger on offense and go down and score. So, frustrated with the slow start, but it’s just part of the process. You’ve got to get better each play, look to the next play, not dwell on it. So, [I’m] glad we could finish it out with a win.”

On what he should have changed at the start of his game:

“There are about two plays I really wish I didn’t do. It was my first or second drive, the guy got one hand, almost picked it off. I really should have checked it down. We had run, like, four plays in a row so I was kind of just itching to throw a ball and didn’t want to check it down, which is just so juvenile. I just needed to check it down and throw it to who’s open. I was trying to fit in a nice throw, but I knew when I threw it, I was like, ‘Man, I kind of forced this one.’ So I needed to just check it down there. There was another one later where I tried to fit a hole-shot on the right sideline and I should have just checked it down. It was third-and-20, so it was like, ‘Let’s try and get the first down,’ but I should have checked down and made it an easier punt. The little things like that, just continuing to get into the flow of the game. The coaches were really good with me. They never got on me too bad, they just said, ‘Next play, next play,’ and were giving me a lot of confidence. I really felt good and in the final drive once we started getting rolling, I thought, ‘There’s no way we’re not scoring.’ The guys around me did a great job.”

:247:REDSKINS QB COLT McCOY:247:

On his first-half performance:

“I thought it was OK. We came out to a really good start and then I was trying to throw the ball away. My knee kind of buckled and the ball stayed inbounds. That was an embarrassing play by me, but I think if you take that away, we were pretty efficient.”

On getting into a rhythm in the second quarter:

“I felt pretty good at the start, to be honest. We finally got some looks that we wanted, started running the ball a little better. Scored some points there in the second quarter, but we had three points in our back pocket on the first drive and I screwed that up. Overall I felt pretty good. It was nice to see some snaps with the ones.”

On the feeling of seeing a player like RB Matt Jones go down with an injury:

“Yeah, you don’t ever want to see that, especially in the preseason. We’ll certainly hope for the best for Matt. He’s a good player.” 

:247:REDSKINS WR KENDAL THOMPSON:247:stripe%20break_zpsjltww2rf.gif

On his game-winning touchdown catch:

“We knew we needed a touchdown, got the play-call, saw it was all-go’s. I had a feeling it was going to be man-to-man coverage, that’s the majority of what they were playing all night. I just won my matchup and just made a play.”

On the feeling of catching a game-winning touchdown in the NFL:

“Yeah, it always feels good, and more importantly, I liked the way we executed as a whole. We made some good third down conversions and I thought we did all that we had to do.”

On how important it is to make an impression on the coaching staff:

“Yeah, that is, but more important for the team and the win. I just have to keep doing what I’m doing consistently and try and make it an everyday occurrence.”

On the two-point conversion:

“Yeah, I had a feeling they were going to come back after the touchdown, so I made sure that I won the matchup and went up and made a play on it.”

On QB Nate Sudfeld’s performance:

“You know, he’s looking good. He’s getting more reps, starting to see him mature a little bit, get more poised. I think it helps getting more continuity with him.”

:247:REDSKINS WR RASHAD ROSS:247:

On his touchdown catch on the fade route:

“We practice it. We practice the fade ball almost every day on red zone days. The coach taught us how to get around the guy well.”

On his growing confidence:

“It’s a different year. I got one year under my belt, actually playing the whole year. This year I just have to step it up.”

:247:REDSKINS LB MARTELL SPAIGHT:247:

On the importance of preseason games:

“It’s extremely important. It kind of feels like my rookie year over again. Every day I’ve got to come out here and try and get better and just make strides, just prepare myself for the regular season and when I get my name called, be ready. “

On if leadership comes naturally to him:

“Yes, absolutely. I kind of stepped into that role when I was in junior college. They put a lot on me because I was an All-American. So throughout the years it started to grow on me and I’m just trying to establish it here in the NFL.”

:247:REDSKINS S SU’A CRAVENS:247:stripe%20break_zpsjltww2rf.gif

On preparing for the Jets compared to the Falcons:

“Actually, it’s just a different team. Atlanta is a running team and this team is a lot of passing so we just did a good job with our game plan and we executed.”

On his preparation for the Bills game:

“Just going in with the same mindset of just trying to get better and winning games.”

On his performance tonight:

“I didn’t get the ball on me too much. I slipped on one play, I didn’t like that. I’ve got to be a little more disciplined in my drops and just cause the play isn’t coming to me doesn’t mean I can cut something short, I just got to stay consistent.”

:247:REDSKINS S WILL BLACKMON:247:

On his interception tonight:

“Atlanta ran a similar play last week so it was just learning from the film and taking what we do in practice and bringing it to the field. I didn’t even know that anyone was behind me so he was trying to get it out of there for me so like Tony Dungy said, ‘Catch the ones that are thrown to you.’”

On the difference between winning and losing in the preseason: 

“You always want to win. Obviously it doesn’t count in the win-loss column but at the end of the day if we win, we all did our jobs correctly to get to that point and obviously the losses, the mistakes are magnified but still, we are going to be hard on ourselves, very critical and try and compete and win out. “

On if the team is potentially looking ahead to Pittsburgh in Week 1 instead of Buffalo next week:

“It’s there but no, this is going to be our dress rehearsal probably. We got a tough team we are going after next week in Buffalo and now they have a two headed monster in the backfield, Reggie Bush and LeSean McCoy. Sammy [Watkins] is there, they just paid Tyrod Taylor, so once again it is going to be a familiar opponent. We played them last year so it’ll be really good for us to get out there and compete against them again.”

:247:REDSKINS DE RICKY JEAN FRANCOIS:247:

On making corrections:

“Practice, looking at film. We really got to hone in on that. If we don’t, we get into the season we can have some of the biggest plays with DeSean [Jackson] making catches, Pierre [Garçon] making catches, Matt [Jones] making runs and get called back for a penalty. If we don’t correct those now while we are in the preseason or while we are in practice, we’re going to have a long season.”

On CB Quinton Dunbar and CB Will Blackmon making plays:

“That just shows the depth of our defense. We’ve got guys behind guys, behind guys that can play on this defense and start, but they came out tonight, put a solid game together so those coaches have got to make those decisions.”

:247:REDSKINS CB KENDALL FULLER:247:

On following up bad plays with good plays:

“Just making sure my technique is right, make sure I don’t give up any plays and when you get opportunities to make plays, you’ve got to make sure you make them.”

On his assessment of his play tonight:

“I did pretty good. I got my hand on the ball a little bit which is always good so I’ve got to watch the film and learn from it.”

On playing alongside S Su’a Cravens:

“It is definitely fun. I think anytime that we are on the field together we kind of notice it and really just come in together. The whole rookie class just trying to grow and make some plays.”  

:247:REDSKINS RB ROBERT KELLEY:247:

On showing what he can do outside of running the football:

“I think all of us here, because we know we can run the ball, when you can step up and make blocks like that, that makes coaches excited. They pay attention more, I guess, because if you look at us, we can all run the ball. So it’s the little things you do that are going to separate you from everybody else.”

On what he has to work on to make sure he’s exceling in other aspects of the game:

“Just know my assignments. It’s different when you get to the league and you don’t see the different views of the defense. In college it’s very basic, but you can hear all types of stuff. Know your keys and know your calls, and when the call is called, you have to know your assignment. Just getting the playbook is probably the biggest thing.”

On how he evaluates tonight’s run game:

“I think tonight’s run game was pretty good. Last week, we had success in the second half with most of the twos and some of the threes. But Matt Jones had some pretty good runs, so I felt real good about that because that’s what we’re talking about when we talk about the run-game, how Matt Jones did. I feel like he had some solid runs out there.”

JETS HEAD COACH TODD BOWLES

On QB Bryce Petty’s performance:

“I’ll look at the film and assess him. He made some mistakes, he made some good throws, but the film will tell.”

On the performance of the first-team offense and defense:

“Defense kept them out of the end zone. We had a good play, we had a bad play. We made some strides in the run game and we left one out. We were pretty generic on third down. [I would] like to get a better pass rush but I thought the guys got better. They did good for holding them out the end zone but we’ve got to get more three-and-outs then we got.”

On QB Geno Smith’s performance:

“We don’t want turnovers, we had three of them on the night. Like I said, again, I’ve got to look at the film and assess what he did and what he didn’t do. We didn’t score any points in the first half so—I mean, defense stayed on the field a little bit long and we sputtered on offense. We’ve just got to look at the film and evaluate it.”

On his initial impressions of the starting offense:

"The defense was out there a long time. They had the ball over 12 minutes in the first quarter so they never really got going. I was going to play them late until the second quarter and second half. They had a play there and a play there. It wasn’t like they got beat up or getting physical. They just didn’t get on the same page early on."

On QB Christian Hackenberg not playing:

“Coaches decision.”

On if C Nick Mangold was hurt:

“No, we wanted to see some of those guys perform and we needed to make a decision down there so we want guys to play.”

On LB Erin Henderson:

“He has a stinger.”

On if WR Quincy Enunwa has a concussion:

“He’s in protocol, yes. ”

On if he was happy with the overall performance:

“I’m happy with certain people. I’m happy with some of the young guys that performed. I’m happy with some of the things they did in the second half, and I’m happy with some of the guys in the first unit. Overall, we have to put it together back-to-back and not every couple plays here and there.”

On if there is a competition for the No. 2 QB spot:

“I said Geno [Smith] was No. 2 and Bryce [Petty] was No. 3. I didn’t say there wasn’t a competition. Right now Geno [Smith] is two and Bryce [Petty] is three.”

On QB Bryce Petty being able to push Geno Smith:

“Anybody can push anybody for any job. We’ll look at the film and we’ll evaluate. It’s not just the throws you have to look at. You have to look at the body of work and everything that happens at every game. So we’ll look at the film and see.”

On if Petty is earning a roster spot:

“Nobody is on the roster right now.”

On if the backup QB position being is open:

“Every position is open.”

On if Petty made more decisive decisions during the game:

“At times he did, at times he didn’t.”

On his reaction to Smith’s interception:

"My reaction is to get the defense on the field. They understand that, and we know that. We’ll look at the film and see why it happened, what coverage it was, where they got pressured and we’ll go from there."

On WR Robby Anderson’s performance tonight:

"He made plays. He made a play down the field. I have to see the rest of his body of work. He showed up and made some catches, but again it’s everything that he has to do, whether he runs the right route, depth and everything else is what we have to look at."

On the injury to DL Lawrence Thomas:

"As far as we know we have a shoulder injury; I don’t know how serious it is yet."

On LB Lorenzo Mauldin’s health:

"Yeah, he is fine."

On CB Darrelle Revis’ performance:

"I didn’t really look at him overall; I just saw the pick he made in the end zone. I have to look at the film and see, I didn’t really concentrate on him"

On the decision to have Revis play off-coverage:

"No, we were just playing basic coverages. That was just a part of the defense."

On RB Matt Forté suiting up for warm-ups but not playing:

"He wanted to get some warm-up work and we needed him to get some warm-up work. He needs to get some work in every time he comes out there."

On decision to not play DL Muhammad Wilkerson:

"I think he needs another week to get his legs up underneath him and I’ll see where he is next week."

On K Ross Martin:

"It’s tough when you miss an extra point, but we have two games to go and you’ve got to be more consistent. I’m sure he knows that and field goal kicking is easy; you make or you miss."

On his reaction to the number of dropped passes:

"No, it was a couple of them. We need to get better at it, and mostly the young guys have to get better at it. We can’t turn the ball over. Guys are trying to make the roster spot too; you have to play when the lights are on."

On if missed tackles stood out this game compared to last game:

"It didn’t look like it stood out as much. I still saw some, I didn’t see as many as last week."

JETS QB RYAN FITZPATRICK

On the “crispness” the Jets played with:

"We’re nice, crisp. No, we had some missed cues. You know, stuff that we’ve got to be able to clean up and not have happen. You know, whether it was me with throws or different routes that we were doing, mental errors and things like that, there were more that creeped up this game. So we’ve got to address how to get it fixed. You know, next week is our real kind of dress rehearsal, the last one before the season begins.”

On causes for concern:

“I don’t think you ever get too concerned or too excited with the preseason, just with what’s going on. So, we’ll get back to work and I wish we would’ve done a bit better, would’ve got into more of a rhythm today, but we didn’t. So, we’ll look at the film and move on and keep practicing hard.”

On QB Bryce Petty:

“I thought Bryce played well. He made a couple of big throws to Robby [Anderson]. I just think the biggest difference from him last year to this year is you can just tell when the ball comes out of his hand, he’s more confident. He’s more confident, I think, with his reads and therefore the ball is coming out a lot better. So, I think he’s done a great job all of preseason, even with the situation. With everything up in the air, who knows, just grinding everyday and focusing on becoming a better player just with himself and everything he can control. I’m glad he showed up and played a good game today.”

JETS QB GENO SMITH

On his performance:

"Off and on, missed a few throws here and there. But you know, I think I fit the preseason form, get the chance to go out there, get a few series in and try to develop some chemistry with the guys. But overall, not to my standards, I think I could’ve played a lot better.”

On the difference between playing with the backups and being on the field with WRs Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker:

“No disrespect to Brandon and Decker, they’re great players, but you don’t really think about them when you’re out there. The only thing you think about is executing, how can you move the ball. Obviously you think about, ‘OK, who’s my better matchup?’ in certain situations. But, you know, all of those guys have got the ability to make great plays for us. You know, Robby Anderson really stepped up tonight. You know, Jalin [WR Jalin Marshall] is a great player. Charone [WR Charone Peake] has been doing a great job. So, I have a lot of confidence in those guys and when I’m out there I just let it rip.”

On turnovers:

“I mean, turnovers are going to happen, that’s the game. Every quarterback is going to throw an interception. The key thing is can you learn from it. The safety read my eyes, intercepted it. You know, one of those plays where you wish you could have it back. But, you understand that it’s part of the process, part of the game. They’re going to happen no matter what, no matter what you try to do, try not to do. So, you’ve just got to move on, keep playing.

JETS QB BRYCE PETTY

On how he played today:

"‘Yeah?’ If you can quote that. I think we came out, we started slow and that is kind of the ‘Yeah’ part. I think that from last week there are definitely things to build on. We got in the end zone which is good, a couple times. But there are definitely things to learn from. We just have to keep getting better each and every week. Good week of practice coming up. We can use that and just continue getting better, from the film room to the field."

On the touchdown to TE Zach Sudfeld:

“That is what you call ‘lucky is sometimes better than good.’ Kind of squeezed that one in there but shouldn’t have. Definitely shouldn’t have but sometimes the ball just kind of flies and falls your way.”

On if he improved his play from last week and made the correct decisions:

“Yeah, for the most part. For the most part I was tonight. There were some things I tried to force, like [the touchdown to TE Zach Sudfeld]. might have forced that one and got away with it. When you are going against the best guys in the world, that isn’t going to happen every week. [I have] to be able to see that, learn from that and that is what I will do next week. I won’t make that mistake again, even though it was a touchdown. It is probably a lucky one.”

JETS DL SHELDON RICHARDSON

On the game:

“It hurts. Guys fought hard. They made a play at the end. It happens."

On what the defensive starters have to do to make the defense better:

“Get off the field on third down. That is about it really. That is pretty much it.”

On missed tackles:

“We didn’t have too many missed tackles like we did the first week [of the preseason]. Pretty much it, really. We picked up on that a little bit, a lot a bit actually. Guys miss tackles during the regular season too. They get paid too.”

JETS DL LEONARD WILLIAMS

On his sack:

“It was one of our calls where the linebackers comes down and picks the guard for the three-technique. When I wrapped around, [LB David Harris] did a good job of keeping the center with him and it just opened up wide open for me and it was just me on the [running back]. We have to win those situations when it is a D-Lineman on a RB."

On what he thought when he saw the running back in front of him:

“I was thinking, ‘If he doesn’t chop block, I was going to go straight through him.’ That is our mentality as a D-Line. That is what we have to grow through. ”

On the first-team defense:

“I think we have been doing good, but the main part I think we have to pick up is the opening drive. It occurred in the last game as well. We allowed the offense to convert a lot of third downs and prolong the drive. We started getting tired at the end of it. But luckily we got off the field at the end of that drive. That’s the one thing we have to pick up, is getting off the field on the opening drive.”

12 hours ago, TK said:

:247:REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN:247:

On if the starters will play in the fourth preseason game:  

"I don’t know yet, I doubt it. We’re going to play them a lot next week against the Buffalo Bills. We’re going to treat Buffalo very seriously and prepare. Get a good week of preparation. We’ll get some good work next week.”

Looking forward to see how the 1s perform against the Bills, especially if Jones is out.

Bowles presser is fantastic. 

1. On if there is a competition for the No. 2 QB spot: “I said Geno [Smith] was No. 2 and Bryce [Petty] was No. 3. I didn’t say there wasn’t a competition. Right now                  Geno [Smith] is two and Bryce [Petty] is three.”
  2. On if the backup QB position being is open: “Every position is open.”
  3. On QB Bryce Petty being able to push Geno Smith: “Anybody can push anybody for any job. 
  4. On if Petty is earning a roster spot: “Nobody is on the roster right now.”
  5. On QB Bryce Petty’s performance: “I’ll look at the film and assess him. He made some mistakes, he made some good throws, but the film will tell.”
  6. On if Petty made more decisive decisions during the game: “At times he did, at times he didn’t.” 
  7. On K Ross Martin:  "It’s tough when you miss an extra point, but we have two games to go and you’ve got to be more consistent. I’m sure he knows that and
  8.                   field goal kicking is easy; you make or you miss."

I'd go absolutely ballistic if I had to keep repeating myself over & over like that.  But at least he can toss some Yogi'isms in there once and awhile.

Archived