Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC: Rampaging South Sudan Troops Raped Foreigners, Killed Local

visionary

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/rampaging-south-sudan-troops-raped-foreigners-killed-local-41390274

Rampaging South Sudan Troops Raped Foreigners, Killed Local

The soldier pointed his AK-47 at the female aid worker and gave her a choice.

"Either you have sex with me, or we make every man here rape you and then we shoot you in the head," she remembers him saying.

She didn't really have a choice. By the end of the evening, she had been raped by 15 South Sudanese soldiers.

On July 11, South Sudanese troops, fresh from winning a battle in the capital, Juba, over opposition forces, went on a nearly four-hour rampage through a residential compound popular with foreigners, in one of the worst targeted attacks on aid workers in South Sudan's three-year civil war. They shot dead a local journalist while forcing the foreigners to watch, raped several foreign women, singled out Americans, beat and robbed people and carried out mock executions, several witnesses told The Associated Press.

For hours throughout the assault, the U.N. peacekeeping force stationed less than a mile away refused to respond to desperate calls for help. Neither did embassies, including the U.S. Embassy.

The Associated Press interviewed by phone eight survivors, both male and female, including three who said they were raped. The other five said they were beaten; one was shot. Most insisted on anonymity for their safety or to protect their organizations still operating in South Sudan.

The accounts highlight, in raw detail, the failure of the U.N. peacekeeping force to uphold its core mandate of protecting civilians, notably those just a few minutes' drive away. The Associated Press previously reported that U.N. peacekeepers in Juba did not stop the rapes of local women by soldiers outside the U.N.'s main camp last month.

The American who was released early in the assault and made it to the U.N. base said he also alerted U.N. staff. At around dusk, a U.N. worker he knew requested three different battalions to send a Quick Reaction Force.

"Everyone refused to go. Ethiopia, China, and Nepal. All refused to go," he said.

Eventually, South Sudanese security forces entered the Terrain and rescued all but three Western women and around 16 Terrain staff.

No one else was sent that night to find them. The U.N. timeline said a patrol would go in the morning, but this "was cancelled due to priority." A private security firm rescued the three Western women the staffers the next morning.

When asked why the U.N. peacekeeping mission didn't respond to the repeated requests for help, acting spokeswoman Yasmina Bouziane said the circumstances are under investigation.

"The peacekeepers did not venture out of the bases to protect civilians under imminent threat," Human Rights Watch said Monday in a report on abuses throughout Juba.

The U.S. Embassy, which also received requests for help during the attack, did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

This, in a nutshell, is what U.N operations are in Africa. They are for show only. It is a bureaucratic organization with little to no recognized power. The difference between Africa and Europe is astounding. The U.N steps in in wars in Europe (Yugoslavia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Croatia) but repeatedly allows stuff like this to happen during missions in Africa.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As I recall, a book came out some years ago on the UN, which claimed that many 3rd world and dictatorial states (I think Bangladesh was specifically mentioned) make/save money by sending criminals in their prisons out as UN troops. Not only do their governments no longer have to pay for their incarceration, but the countries also get subsidies from the UN to pay for the use of troops originating from their country.

Someone help me understand this, the UN has a peacekeeping force in Sudan which in part is there to protect civilians, yet I'm reading that ethnic cleansing is ongoing.   The UN, always happy to buy the illusion of peace with the suffering of others, recommends an arms embargo and the creation of a special court?   

What exactly is this peace keeping force doing and how much does it cost?  

The UN reminds me of those Life Lock commercials where the guy in the security uniform reminds everyone that he's not a security guard, just a security monitor.  

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

Someone help me understand this, the UN has a peacekeeping force in Sudan which in part is there to protect civilians, yet I'm reading that ethnic cleansing is ongoing.   The UN, always happy to buy the illusion of peace with the suffering of others, recommends an arms embargo and the creation of a special court?   

What exactly is this peace keeping force doing and how much does it cost?  

The UN reminds me of those Life Lock commercials where the guy in the security uniform reminds everyone that he's not a security guard, just a security monitor.  

The peacekeeping force is only as good as the people working in it. Mostly worthless.

The nations contributing the largest number of people to peacekeeping efforts are states that have horrible military ethics themselves. Save for India, that entire list is chalk full of countries with no military ethical standards and it reflects in the **** job that they usually do. 

36 minutes ago, visionary said:

That article does little to shake my ardent belief that the UN is a useless tangle of blood suckers.  From the article:

The U.S. strategy for South Sudan in the 15-nation council is at risk of unraveling. It faces resistance not only from traditional rivals, including China, Russia, and Venezuela, and from the African states of Angola, Egypt, and Senegal. But it is also opposed by close American allies, including Japan, which is reluctant to confront South Sudan while hundreds of its own peacekeepers are there. Malaysia has also expressed reservations over the text.

Wouldn't want any confrontation with peace keepers on the ground.  They might actually have to do something other than observe the killing and collect UN checks. 

A separate U.S.-backed push by the United Nations to send more than 4,000 additional U.N. peacekeeping reinforcements to South Sudan, primarily based in Juba, has been fiercely resisted by the country’s officials, fueling pessimism over the prospects of them ever deploying. A key potential contributor, Kenya, has meanwhile pulled out of the U.N. operation. Nairobi is protesting a recent decision by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to fire the mission’s Kenyan force commander for failing to protect civilians during a bout of fighting violence in Juba last summer that effectively marked the de facto death of the country’s peace process.

Nairobi's got their priorities right.  That force commander, who responded to urgent dire circumstances by pointing out he was entirely out of ****s to give, is what's really unacceptable in all this. 

A Security Council diplomat said the United States had made other tactical errors, piling on a raft of targeted sanctions against senior South Sudanese government officials that made it harder for countries, particular those with troops on the ground, to accept the arms embargo. The diplomat said the United States sat on a far better chance to push for the embargo last summer, when South Sudan’s government was facing international condemnation for its attacks on U.N. peacekeepers and international aid workers.

“They kind of missed an opportunity,” said the diplomat, who also spoke on condition of anonymity. “I think they may be paying a price for their hesitation.”

Just how much of a soulless ghoul does it take to actually say the words that the US "may be paying the price for their hesitation" with the UN, when the stakes are literally genocide.  Incredible.  All this over sanctions and arms embargo that in typical UN fashion would do nothing to really stop the violence anyway.   

God help anyone that ever needs the UN for anything. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived