Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox News, Sexual Harassment, Ailes, O'Reilly, Hannity and minions...

Riggo-toni

43 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I have no idea what you are trying to say. I never do, when this issue comes up from you and others. 

What exactly do you want to happen, specifically as it relates to people genuinely pissed and/or targeted by people who say or do screwed up stuff? How should the world react, according to spiff?

I'm not actively campaigning for him to lose his show, but I'd be cool with it if he did.  My point, to be clear, is are people really pissed at him for saying what he said?  Or are people glad that their assumptions/ideas/feelings about him are confirmed?   It's like when Bill Burr talked about the old guy from Duck Dynasty, the guy with the beard down to his dick who was raised in the south and said a bunch of homophobic stuff a few years back.  What'd you think he thought?  Did anyone think he'd have progressive views on the LGBTQ community?  In the same vein, did anyone think that Tucker Carlson wasn't a raging jerk who'd be capable of thinking and saying such things?  What'd you expect from him?

Here, ffwd to the 2:30 mark: NSFW, obviously.

So if we can agree (from the looks of it, most of us aren't shocked that Carlson thinks/said this stuff) then how much room is there to be genuinely pissed off when you expect it from someone like him?  For me, it's when I like someone or think someone is good and they turn out NOT to be is when I get pissed or hurt.  Like Cosby.  Someone like Carlson saying what he said just confirms what I already thought about him, I'm not mad about what I already knew, or assumed to know.  But if you're genuinely pissed, sure, go ahead.  

My other point, do you disagree that there are people out there who are glad that Carlson showed his true colors?  Do you disagree that some people are glad that their feelings about Carlson have been confirmed recently?

I'm not saying the world should react a certain way according to me, I think you're taking it too far a bit for some reason.  I honestly don't care how people react, but I find some reactions interesting more than others.  But, schadenfreude.  Not a hard concept.  Do you disagree that there are people out there that would be happy that he lost his show if he did?  Not gonna lie, I'd crack a smile the same way I did when O'Reilly lost his.  Experiencing pleasure, joy, or satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures or humiliation of another.  I've got no problem admitting it, I'd feel some of that if Carlson lost sponsors or his show.  But if you feel sad for a guy like O'Reilly or Carlson losing their show, I don't really care.  To each their own.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bang said:

Tucker Carlson's face would look great with "Louisville Slugger" embedded on it in reverse.

~Bang

Honestly, I’d prefer to see him ruined and broke.  Watching this pampered dandy complain about “the mob” being out to get him is pathetic.  Especially because I think he’s sincere and actually imagines himself a victim.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

There ain't a damn thing he said in that interview that his viewers alren't already agreeing with.

These people are racists and now as one said, they have the Presidential seal of approval to openly show us the cancer that has been living beneath the surface. **** these ass clowns. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Destino said:

Honestly, I’d prefer to see him ruined and broke.  Watching this pampered dandy complain about “the mob” being out to get him is pathetic.  Especially because I think he’s sincere and actually imagines himself a victim.  

Me too,,  it's just that I am a slave to instant gratification.

besides, it's springtime... the crack of the bat.. the smell of freshly mown grass for him to land on...   it just takes me back.

~Bang

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

So if we can agree (from the looks of it, most of us aren't shocked that Carlson thinks/said this stuff) then how much room is there to be genuinely pissed off when you expect it from someone like him?  For me, it's when I like someone or think someone is good and they turn out NOT to be is when I get pissed or hurt.  Like Cosby.  Someone like Carlson saying what he said just confirms what I already thought about him, I'm not mad about what I already knew, or assumed to know.  But if you're genuinely pissed, sure, go ahead.   

My other point, do you disagree that there are people out there who are glad that Carlson showed his true colors?  Do you disagree that some people are glad that their feelings about Carlson have been confirmed recently?

I'm not saying the world should react a certain way according to me, I think you're taking it too far a bit for some reason.  I honestly don't care how people react, but I find some reactions interesting more than others.  But, schadenfreude.  Not a hard concept.  Do you disagree that there are people out there that would be happy that he lost his show if he did?  Not gonna lie, I'd crack a smile the same way I did when O'Reilly lost his.  Experiencing pleasure, joy, or satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures or humiliation of another.  I've got no problem admitting it, I'd feel some of that if Carlson lost sponsors or his show.  But if you feel sad for a guy like O'Reilly or Carlson losing their show, I don't really care.  To each their own.

Where in all this is the reality that people actually want the world to be better and it's not all about petty ass stuff, like schadenfreude?

Anger is what we feel when we want things to be different. Some people are actually angry about this because we want a better world where people don't get a platform to spew **** like this and have crowds of other ****ty ass people validate and approve of it. We don't accept it, we care about better standards and having integrity and a moral compass. We get angry when other people wipe their ass with those things. 

I don't hate Tucker Carlson personally, but I do hate his behaviors and beliefs, his sense of entitlement and penchant for corrupting national discourse. If he truly changed all that I'd be happy for him and respect the road to redemption, but it would take a long time to get to that point.

2 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I don't hate Tucker Carlson personally, but I do hate his behaviors and beliefs, his sense of entitlement and penchant for corrupting national discourse. If he truly changed all that I'd be happy for him and respect the road to redemption, but it would take a long time to get to that point.

Ok, I don't mean to split hairs or anything, but where is the line between hating his behaviors, beliefs, attitude, and everything he's done over his tenure at Faux News...and actually hating Tucker?

This is what makes Tucker who he is. So to say you hate everything about what he does and what he thinks and then to say that you don't hate him...well that seems to be a distinction without a difference.

• Like 2

Thing is, not excited he got outed for what he is. What I am happy about is that when he tries to call out someone on the left for bigoted, racist, and sexist things; exhibit A for his hypocrisy was just released. That's what I'm happy about. Let's face it, most of his supporters likely have similar views. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ok, I don't mean to split hairs or anything, but where is the line between hating his behaviors, beliefs, attitude, and everything he's done over his tenure at Faux News...and actually hating Tucker?

This is what makes Tucker who he is. So to say you hate everything about what he does and what he thinks and then to say that you don't hate him...well that seems to be a distinction without a difference.

It's simple, I hold to the possibility for change. I understand how personalities and beliefs work, giving me a mechanical view of things that helps to keep myself just beyond the line of absolutely hating him. It's the line between 99 and 100. It's small but it makes a difference in my emotions and I am thankful for the ability to have that emotional nuance. I've done the absolutely hating a person with no nuance thing and it wasn't good for my health. Plus, absolute hate makes one an easy mark for over-indulgence in self-righteousness and that emotion is a dangerous one, like a superhighway towards blind assholery.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Where in all this is the reality that people actually want the world to be better and it's not all about petty ass stuff, like schadenfreude?

Anger is what we feel when we want things to be different. Some people are actually angry about this because we want a better world where people don't get a platform to spew **** like this and have crowds of other ****ty ass people validate and approve of it. We don't accept it, we care about better standards and having integrity and a moral compass. We get angry when other people wipe their ass with those things. 

I don't disagree with the sentiment.  I'd love things to be different, too.  I'd love it if there were no Tucker Carlsons or Sean Hannitys.  

But unfortunately, that's not reality.  Unfortunately, Fox News, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and all the other talking heads exist.  And they get good ratings.  So if Tucker Carlson loses his show, he just gets replaced with another guy that does the same schtick.  The **** they shovel...it sells.  To hear Tucker Carlson whine and moan about the mob is odd, especially when he's got one of the highest rated shows amongst the cable tv news networks.

You touched on the crowds of ****ty ass people that validate and approve of it, that's the real problem.  Tucker Carlson is a symptom of a much larger, deeper issue.  That platform you're angry about only exists because people tune in and the ratings are good.  I'm more upset about those people who tune in each night because he preaches what they want to hear.  It's more about those people waking up and realizing what's going on.  

You talk about him changing, about a road to redemption but there's no reason for him to change because what he does works for him.  There's no chance he redeems himself or changes what he believes/talks about/spews because it's gotten him this far.  He makes about 6 million a year, you think he's going to change?

You can call schadenfreude petty, I don't care.  I'd be happy if he lost his show, by the looks of it I think others here would be, too.  **** that guy.  I don't understand how you can hate his behaviors, beliefs and then say you don't hate him.  

EDIT:  Saw where you replied to ASF.  Understood.  I admire your ability to hold out for change.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't disagree with the sentiment.  I'd love things to be different, too.  I'd love it if there were no Tucker Carlsons or Sean Hannitys.  

But unfortunately, that's not reality.  Unfortunately, Fox News, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and all the other talking heads exist.  And they get good ratings.  So if Tucker Carlson loses his show, he just gets replaced with another guy that does the same schtick.  The **** they shovel...it sells.  To hear Tucker Carlson whine and moan about the mob is odd, especially when he's got one of the highest rated shows amongst the cable tv news networks.

You touched on the crowds of ****ty ass people that validate and approve of it, that's the real problem.  Tucker Carlson is a symptom of a much larger, deeper issue.  That platform you're angry about only exists because people tune in and the ratings are good.  I'm more upset about those people who tune in each night because he preaches what they want to hear.  It's more about those people waking up and realizing what's going on.  

You talk about him changing, about a road to redemption but there's no reason for him to change because what he does works for him.  There's no chance he redeems himself or changes what he believes/talks about/spews because it's gotten him this far.  He makes about 6 million a year, you think he's going to change?

You can call schadenfreude petty, I don't care.  I'd be happy if he lost his show, by the looks of it I think others here would be, too.  **** that guy.  I don't understand how you can hate his behaviors, beliefs and then say you don't hate him.  

I feel you and I highly doubt he will change as well. I don't keep from absolutely hating him for his sake, but for my own and my health.

I consciously put in effort not to hate him and maintain that distinction is the point. I don't know about other people but I put in special effort to wean myself off of certain kinds of emotions. Self-righteousness, absolute certainty, absolute hate, certain kinds of comfort, bravado, etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I feel you and I highly doubt he will change as well. I don't keep from absolutely hating him for his sake, but for my own and my health.

I consciously put in effort not to hate him and maintain that distinction is the point. I don't know about other people but I put in special effort to wean myself off of certain kinds of emotions. Self-righteousness, absolute certainty, absolute hate, certain kinds of comfort, bravado, etc.

That's good.  I try to do the same in my own way by not giving those people much attention.  It's easy to get wrapped up in this and I believe it's unhealthy, too.  It's why I don't participate in the Trump threads here.  I don't like him, I know I don't like him and I don't need to validate that daily.  I've already paid enough attention to Tucker Carlson this week, much more than I should have.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's good.  I try to do the same in my own way by not giving those people much attention.  It's easy to get wrapped up in this and I believe it's unhealthy, too.  It's why I don't participate in the Trump threads here.  I don't like him, I know I don't like him and I don't need to validate that daily.  I've already paid enough attention to Tucker Carlson this week, much more than I should have.  

Yup, although I still am active and doing my part to make things better and provide resistance to people who do bad things that I want stopped (staying informed, voting, calling legislators, protesting, using resist bot). I'll moderate the attention and energy I give by exposing myself to whatever nonsense their spewing, but I don't go so far into moderation that I neglect what I feel is my responsibility to this country to protect and promote it's core values that I also believe in.

That's the hard part, striding those two lines and maintaining balance. Not getting too involved to the point it ruins your life, but staying involved to the point where you're being a positive part of the solution and not just on the sidelines.

• Like 1

I hate him because of what he is and what he does. That's why you hate someone. Same goes for Hannity, and Trump, and Pence. I hate them. Nothing in my mind says that hatred is permanent, but as long as their behavior and they cling to their malignant ideologies and spew their plague then yeah, I'll continue to hate them.

You cannot divorce a person's behavior from who they are. From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

Let him change, let him demonstrate contrition and repentance then get back to me and we'll talk.

40 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Aside from their blatant racism, you've echoed pretty much every Tucker and Hannity talking point from them since Trump's election. 

I'd say you either are fooling yourself or your "moderation" turned into a serious addiction. Either way, judging by your arguments here, it doesn't seem like you care

What? Are you quoting the right person? Where in the hell have you seen me do that?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not actively campaigning for him to lose his show, but I'd be cool with it if he did.  My point, to be clear, is are people really pissed at him for saying what he said?  Or are people glad that their assumptions/ideas/feelings about him are confirmed?   It's like when Bill Burr talked about the old guy from Duck Dynasty, the guy with the beard down to his dick who was raised in the south and said a bunch of homophobic stuff a few years back.  What'd you think he thought?  Did anyone think he'd have progressive views on the LGBTQ community?  In the same vein, did anyone think that Tucker Carlson wasn't a raging jerk who'd be capable of thinking and saying such things?  What'd you expect from him?

Here, ffwd to the 2:30 mark: NSFW, obviously.

I still don't entirely understand where you're coming from. You don't think people are genuinely pissed and recognize that their suspicions are confirmed? If so, why would they be glad about it (not saying that some aren't)?

I think most people who have beef with Tucker Carlson (like myself) know what he is, and have known for awhile, including his network, and a large portion of the U.S. that support those beliefs. I never cease to feel, or be surprised by the venom being spewed (nor do I find joy/satisfaction in being right about the type of people they are),  and react to it accordingly. I think most people feel this way. But I can't say that some aren't ecstatic that (in their minds) he's finally going to get his (which he won't). They would be naive, though, and I doubt they'd represent anywhere near the majority of people that have a problem with him.

Also, If one isn't genuinely pissed then what are they, anyway? Ok with it? No thoughts whatsoever? For me, both reactions seem curious, and not indicative of general human emotion when confronted by something like this. As it pertains to the entirety of human civilization, if you know what someone is about, and they prove their hateful bs on a daily basis (to you, or someone you know), is it supposed to not matter as much simply because of that fact? Would it bother you more or less if you kept hearing it?

I'm trying to understand what you mean, but being blunt, I feel like you are spinning your wheels, and are conflicted about why exactly you have an issue with how the crap coming out of his mouth is being received.

I feel like you do not entirely understand why people have a problem with this (because perhaps it doesn't affect you), and you are dumbfounded that (like you)  more people aren't brushing it off as just some more nonsense, and keeping it moving. 

I personally can't really recall a time in my life ever witnessing someone directly affected or understanding of the damaging nature of certain types of rhetoric, feel less inclined to speak up and air their emotions of disgust and disdain. In fact, it's usually the exact opposite, because certain messages repeated over and over, have the potential to corrupt a large group of people. And the thought of that is simultaneously hurtful and infuriating . So I get why this won't sit well with many people, despite them knowing this playbook.

I'm not saying the world should react a certain way according to me, .

Right... I just think that you may not understand  why certain people don't react in a way that you see as more sensible.

Do you disagree that there are people out there that would be happy that he lost his show if he did? 

No.... But again, I don't follow the logic here, much like your first paragraph. Does that mean they aren't angry because of what he said? Does that mean they aren't ? Can they be both? Or are they feigning outrage? Do they "Lose the right to be angry" if they want him to lose the show? Just doesn't make much sense to me.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Aside from their blatant racism, you've echoed pretty much every Tucker and Hannity talking point from them since Trump's election. 

I'd say you either are fooling yourself or your "moderation" turned into a serious addiction. Either way, judging by your arguments here, it doesn't seem like you care

You're thinking of the last MAGA to roll thru pretending to look for honest discussion. Similar looking name. but not the same guy.

~Bang

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bang said:

i find these threads allow me to vent, and it's therapeutic.

i am unbelievably angry at what people have allowed, and what our nation has become.

~Bang

Bang's comments resonate with me maybe a little more so because I was part of this world. That we knew who he was and what he stood for is true. That doesn't mean we find it absolutely repellent when we see it. Most people don't put out mouse or roach traps until they catch sight of the vermin. The thing that roils me is that he is a commentator and not a journalist. In some ways, that's better, but in others, it's  far worse.

Being a commentator, Carlson is being paid to have a point of view. He is being paid to express an opinion and share his worldview. A reporter is supposed to try to compartmentalize and be objective, to take themselves out of the story. Carlson is a part of every story he presents. A commentator is a secular preacher spreading his gospel of observations. So, FOX News chose him for his beliefs and by afterwards standing by him (although thankfully they have at least suspended him even if they gave him the graceful out of calling it a vacation) it shines a light on them and us.

Tucker Carlson has always been a rat, but now he's boldly staring at you from the kitchen with his paws in your cookie drawer. His views openly expressed are the mouse droppings on your pantry shelves. The question FOX News next addresses, and society needs to as well, is whether this is the kind of house they want to live in? Do we accept that mice are inevitable? Do we buy traps, poison, hire terminators, or just let them roam and multiply?

Is his comment one that we want in our house? 

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 4

On 7/6/2016 at 12:17 PM, FanboyOf91 said:

donald-hillary-800.jpg

It has to be all related! There's no other possible explanation for the arrival of Liberal Nirvana!

Who cares about that, what we really need to know is what the hell is on Hillary's teeth?!?!

Pre 2016, ****er Carlson is out of a job after 3 days of audio/video of him making bigoted, sexist, and ridiculous talk about sex with minors.

Post 2016, ****er Carlson takes a vacation, then comes back with a vengeance with Fox News' blessing. 

Unless...people go after his sponsors.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thanks 1