Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It also appears to punish doctors, women and children as young as 13 with “abortion murder” if they “perform or have an abortion”. This crime is punishable by life in prison. Another new crime, “aggravated abortion murder”, is punishable by death, according to the bill.

The bill is sponsored by representatives Candice Keller and Ron Hood, and co-sponsored by 19 members of Ohio’s 99-member House.

• Sad 1

what it is saying if if you have a elective surgery to remove a ectopic  located fetus ya are required to transplant it to the uterus.

seems a bit invasive,even if well intended

added

Despite advances in medical imaging, roughly 40 percent of pregnancies diagnosed as ectopic are later revealed to be normal, intrauterine pregnancies, according to a 2002 study published in the journal Obstetrics and Gynecology.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/w_ParentingResource/baby-born-deformed-misdiagnosed-ectopic-pregnancy/story?id=15421441

Edited by twa

52 minutes ago, twa said:

what it is saying if if you have a elective surgery to remove a ectopic  located fetus ya are required to transplant it to the uterus.

seems a bit invasive,even if well intended

But such a procedure literally doesn't exist.  Or they just want the doctors to put the dead fetus in the uterus, knowing it has no viability and isn't going to spring back to life?

Looks like the three treatment options for ectopic pregnancy is 1) wait for the pregnancy to naturally terminate, 2) terminate pregnancy by medication, or 3) surgery.  There's no scenario where ectopic pregnancy can be carried to term.  I mean what insanity is this?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I mean what insanity is this?  

Republican primary season, in GOP-safe districts.  Politicians who know full well that the only way they can lose their job is if somebody comes along who's more extreme than they are.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

But such a procedure literally doesn't exist.  Or they just want the doctors to put the dead fetus in the uterus, knowing it has no viability and isn't going to spring back to life?

Looks like the three treatment options for ectopic pregnancy is 1) wait for the pregnancy to naturally terminate, 2) terminate pregnancy by medication, or 3) surgery.  There's no scenario where ectopic pregnancy can be carried to term.  I mean what insanity is this?  

why would it be dead?

We transfer embryos all the time , so maybe it is possible......or maybe they simply need to clean up the language of the bill (as usual) 🧐

add

I assume it is this bill?

HB 413 would only allow an abortion to be performed to save a woman's life. If it's an elected procedure, it would be criminal.

https://local12.com/news/local/local-rep-introduces-bill-to-ban-all-abortions-except-those-medically-necessary

Edited by twa
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Nothing about this bill is well intentioned. 

Including, I'm pretty sure, your post. 

I tend to give folk attempting to save human lives the benefit of doubt on intentions even when I think their solution wrong.

Gun control and anti death penalty folk for example.

This is simply so, so stupid and malicious.  An ectopic pregnancy is not a viable pregnancy.  The only possible outcome of this idea is the death of women.  The GOB has (more) blood on its hands.  Shame on them and anyone that votes for them. 

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

This is simply so, so stupid and malicious.  An ectopic pregnancy is not a viable pregnancy.  The only possible outcome of this idea is the death of women.  The GOB has (more) blood on its hands.  Shame on them and anyone that votes for them. 

yet it is clearly allowed to terminate the pregnancy to save the mothers life..

doing so is not a elective surgery, doing so early would be a semi-elective surgery.

the examples are just hoping to spark the outrage ya'll give them.

12 hours ago, twa said:

why would it be dead?

We transfer embryos all the time , so maybe it is possible......

You can't be serious.  When we "transfer embryos" it is in the setting of IVF, when the embryos are still microscopic, usually 1-2 days after fertilization.  They are, at most, at blastocyst stage.  This is the developmental stage when embryos typically implant into the uterine wall.  Fertilization typically happens in the fallopian tubes and then the fertilized egg travels down the tubes, undergoes a few rounds of cell division, reach the uterus hours to days later, and then implant.  Then, over the next few days, the placenta begins to develop.  The embryos in an ectopic pregnancy are weeks past this stage, already implanted somewhere other than a uterus, many orders of magnitude larger, and not possible to be removed and re-implanted.  What happens in an untreated ectopic pregnancy is that as the embryo/placenta develops and enlarges (in a tissue that can't support it) to the point where the fallopian tube ruptures.  This leads to massive bleeding, and is acutely life threatening.  It is one of the most common causes for pregnancy-related death in women.  The only treatment is immediate removal of the non-viable embryo.   

Are you ignorant of these basic facts or intellectually dishonest?  Or both?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I saw this happen to a friend about 30 years ago. Some of the worst pain I've ever seen, she was doubling over at work crying...I was with her throughout everything (we were roommates). 

Some people really need to educate themselves before they do stupid stuff like trying to legislate medical procedures. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

No more intellectually dishonest than those suggesting a proposed law with life of mother exceptions would prevent drs ending ectopic pregnancies.

The reality of fetal transplant is as real as the example they used .

do you think them intellectually dishonest?

2 hours ago, bcl05 said:

It's a question that gets debated a lot around here. 

As to evidence, I will point to the fact that, when you explain the reality to him, his response is to ignore it, and repeat the same two talking points you already rebutted:  

"Well, the law allows them to remove the ectopic pregnancy, if they just wait till her life is threatened. (Threatened enough for the mother and the doctor to risk life imprisonment on whether somebody will go after them.)"

"Well, there is a medical procedure that I can call a fetal transplant (even though it isn't), if I try real hard."

I assert that, when you look at the evidence, it's not hard to figure out the answer to your question. 

Ohio already tried this stunt before and didn’t go forward with it. 

Here’s a good recap for what was proposed last time and the backlash it drew: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/05/10/sponsor-an-ohio-abortion-bill-thinks-you-can-reimplant-ectopic-pregnancies-you-cant/

When you’ve abandoned medical science to push your fictitious theological agenda, then imagining completely fictitious procedures and legislating around them isn’t all that surprising. The logical end point of every social conservative position is that it can always get dumber and it almost always will.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1