Sign in to follow this  
Larry

CNN: Supreme Court strikes down Texas abortion access law

we are not as progressive as those folk that virtually eliminated Down's syndrome.

42 minutes ago, twa said:

we are are much better at deflecting discussion away from what we actually do than this straw man I just built. 

Yeah, I translated things just a teensy bit. 

Just now, Larry said:

Yeah, I translated things just a teensy bit. 

if ya wanna kill someone here ya need to pay for it.

@Zguy28  I saw your reply in the Kennedy thread and wanted to reply because I respect you as a poster and wanted to clarify my position.  I do not for one minute doubt the sincerity of your belief or your position.  I'm also not saying that abortion should be legalized because people will do it anyway.  I think many abortions are immoral.  If people close to me came to me with their struggle, I would try to help them look at every possible alternative.  I think government should be for policies and incentives that would all but eliminate people thinking they have no practical alternatives to abortion.  But I personally do not think abortion is the same as murder because to me embryos and fetus are not the same as human beings.  And I believe many in the GOP camp feels the same way.  To those people who view abortion through the lens of politics and not morality (plenty of those on both sides of the aisle), the real goal isn't to stop abortion.  The real goal is to use the issue as a wedge to get people to vote for them.  And I believe that there are enough people like that on the GOP side that even after abortion is, for all intents and purposes, illegal, there really won't be this huge impediment to people getting abortions.  If the true goal is to stop abortions, there are many policies that the government could implement to ensure that unwanted pregnancies decrease, that people can raise children without the fear of financial ability, and so forth, regardless of the Constitutional dimensions involved.  I know many charities, including many Christian charities, who act on their pro-life positions throughout the pregnancy and aftermath.  But, in my opinion, so many politicians and political supporters, view this only as "us versus them" issue and not a true issue of morality.  That's what I was trying to say and I said it badly before, so I wanted to clarify. 

• Like 3

Oh Sure, NOW you believe him  :)

What he really meant was ......

53 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I guess this judge is okay with the brutal mutilation of little girls. Asshole.

or he could be following the law despite seeing it as a barbaric practice

Why the Federal Law Banning Female Genital Mutilation is Unconstitutional

FGM is a horrible crime. But banning it is one of many issues the Constitution leaves to the states, much like banning rape and murder. Yesterday's court decision striking down the law was correct.

http://reason.com/volokh/2018/11/21/why-the-federal-law-banning-female-genit?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It's bull****. Protect the unborn but forget about them once they are out of a woman's womb and the woman can no longer be controlled until she's pregnant again. That goes double for female children when the mutilation is specifically designed to prevent sexual satisfaction and pleasure. I feel the same about male circumcision too, mutilation of baby boys instead of keeping them clean and teaching them how to care for themselves.

7 hours ago, twa said:

or he could be following the law despite seeing it as a barbaric practice

Because as we all know, the federal government has no constitutional authority to regulate medicine or medical procedures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Because as we all know, the federal government has no constitutional authority to regulate medicine or medical procedures. 

this seems a good thread to assert that :pint:

The government had also argued that female genital mutilation is an “illegal form of healthcare” and could therefore be regulated by Congress. But the judge pushed back against that argument, saying the procedure is “a form of physical assault, not anything approaching a healthcare service.”

15 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Y'all better carry them rape babies to term!

No such thing.  Those aren't real rapes.  

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

No such thing.  Those aren't real rapes.  

You mean "legitimate".

Image result for legitimate rape

How much better would this country be if we just exiled Alabama? Replace them with Puerto Rico or something.

Posted (edited)

Stupid decision by Alabama pro-lifers.  Those who want more limitations put on abortion in this country were winning the argument and then these knuckleheads go for the extreme that only a minority want and it will lose even in this Supreme Court. They could have put limitations on aborting viable fetuses which  would be upheld and it would have been a political winner.  Getting sick of the whole loaf or nothing approach by the friggen extremes.

Edited by nonniey

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, nonniey said:

Stupid decision by Alabama pro-lifers.  Those who want more limitations put on abortion in this country were winning the argument and then these knuckleheads go for the extreme that only a minority want and it will lose even in this Supreme Court. They could have put limitations on aborting viable fetuses which  would be upheld and it would have been a political winner.  Getting sick of the whole loaf or nothing approach by the friggen extremes.

The vast majority of the public is pro-choice. The only place where the "argument is being won" are the most bigoted and backwards parts of America.

You are also an extremist, don't pretend otherwise. It's really too bad we have to share the country with you medieval wankers.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The vast majority of the public is pro-choice.

Where do you get that from?

Things are split about 50-50 if you just ask pro-life or pro-choice.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/244709/pro-choice-pro-life-2018-demographic-tables.aspx

Essentially 50% believes abortion should be legal under certain circumstances.

And it has been that way for decades.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

https://news.gallup.com/poll/183434/americans-choose-pro-choice-first-time-seven-years.aspx

Edited by PeterMP