Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Smoking Room (cigar smoker's thread)

AsburySkinsFan

On 8/16/2016 at 11:02 AM, Riggo#44 said:

There are dominicans that are as good, but not as consistent--the draw, construction, flavor, etc. are far more consistent from Cubans than any other origin.

And I will also say, if you want good non-Cubans, Nicaraguan is the way to go: My Father (including Flor de las Antilles), Tatuaje, Alec Bradley, Perdomo, Rocky Patel, La Aroma de Cuba, CAO, and Padron.

That makes sense. Every Cuban cigar that I've smoked has been well-constructed, delicious, (and expensive!)

I like the Nicarguans too, especially Padron and La Aroma de Cuba. I'm not crazy about Perdomo. I was underwhelmed by the ones that I've tried. 

Is anyone else going to "Smokin' in the Carolinas" in June?   

https://www.jrcigars.com/list/smokin-in-the-carolinas

12 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Smokin' in the Carolinas, nope.

Too far from home for me.

That sucks.

It's ~ 5 hr drive for us. Been meaning to go for years. You get ****-tons of free cigars, and cigar SWAG, plus there will be a lot of big name cigar manufacturers there, and lots of deals.  Everyone that I'be talked to, who has been, says it's a great event. Add all you can eat BBQ, beer and music, and it sounds like an amazing day.

Sounds like a good time, but there is NOTHING else to do in Burlington...except time travel back a couple hundred years. 

Wife hates that I smoke to begin with. 

Unlimited beer sounds really good though. Yeah, wife wouldn't like that either. hahaha. 

51 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Sounds like a good time, but there is NOTHING else to do in Burlington...except time travel back a couple hundred years. 

Wife hates that I smoke to begin with. 

Unlimited beer sounds really good though. Yeah, wife wouldn't like that either. hahaha. 

I know. 

We'll only be there for two nights. We'll get there, late Friday, I'll get dropped off at the event, on Saturday, come back to the hotel, party some more, crash, and head home.

Mrs Skinfan is chill as Hell. . She'll sit by the pool with her tablet and wird searches, and be happy just hanging out.

There's an event like this coming up in Louisville but I would have to go alone. My wife would be utterly bored out of her mind, and this is what I'd get from my kids.

giphy.gif

They are totally cool kids, and don't demand a lot but there is a specific reason I go to the cigar shop ALONE!!!

Not entirely sure of this one's provenance but it has been fun. Kind of non committal in the beginning, but robust, deep and very earthy (yeah I know) now. Thumbs up! :-)

20170412_212728.jpg

PS I generally smoke at band practice, which means I don't get big stretches of time... I'm working on that. :-)

Just getting into the first third on this one, will update.

Box press toro. Dark chocolate appearance, barely visible seams.

Prelight: earth, leather, some cocoa. Foot, added mild sweetness. Cold draw is moderate to tight. I noticed some spiciness on my lips with the cold draw...preview? Maybe.

First third: Full bodied right from the start. Rich earth, tobacco, creamy cocoa on the draw and a long medium black pepper spice finish. Retro started smooth and cocoa creamy but the pepper has started to strengthen. Smoke production heavy, more of a chimney not quite a fog machine! Chewy rich smoke, finish just doesn't quit, still have the zing on the lips.

Second third: big transition! Still very much full bodied and chewy, but the flavors have shifted so that the earthiness has dropped off and is replaced by a solid dark espesso and dark chocolate, but not candy sweet more savory. Finish is still long but the pepper has susbided. Still a little spicy on retro but more creamy. Burnline has been wavy but easily corrected with a couple quick draws to heat things up, still haven't had to touch it up yet.

Final third: I've had cigars that shift three times but they are most always $10+ never under $8. Nearly all creamy espresso at this point, earthiness is gone. The only pepper that's left is on the retro. Sweet caramel draw has dropped off and is now a meaty heaty flavor.

Impressions: I'm over 2 hours on this toro!! A dynamic cigar that in a serious stick for the higher end budget stick. I had to touch up twice, and the ash drops every inch-ish so no mammoth ash cones, but that actually helps even out the burn on its own. At this point I'm thrilled with this cigar, big full flavored with multilayered complexity, a wide range of flavor transitions and all around quality experience. Glad I have another resting.  At this point I can probably get another 10-15 min off it with some cautious draws. 

Highly recommend.

33192536173_820863c75b_b.jpg

3 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

I read this thread...and ASF... I am not a person with envy or regret...but you make me spend money. 

Nice job sir. 

Happy to oblige!

I started keeping notes for myself, because I learned quickly that "oh yeah I think I liked that one" wasn't gonna cut it. And for an hour or two with my thoughts it's nice to have some focus.

33723766770_48c07329ef_b.jpg

Carlos Toraño Exodus 1959 50 Years torpedo

Prelight: dark chocolate color, tight visible seams. Smell, hay and leather, foot is a rich cocoa. Cold draw mild but with some sweetness. I hope this is a sign of what is to come.

A complex medium bodied stick. Mine started with some prominent pepper spice that faded 10 min in. The 50 Year is a complex stick, seems every draw revealed something else with a constant melody of earthy cocoa. Hints of cashews, cherries, and creamy sweetness come and go. The body predictably builds throughout. Mouthfeel is oily and slick, retro is smooth creamy and sweet.

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

70%?! U.S.S.M.D. I do most of my ordering from Famous Smoke just over the border in PA

Yeah, I still can't figure out Kentucky's tax on it, maybe because they don't grow premium cigar tobacco in Kentucky.

On 4/17/2017 at 7:39 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Yikes!!! Please tell me that you guys aren't buying cigars in Maryland!!!

33976454861_ea9dc82f44_b.jpg

http://www.cigarrights.org/news-info_cigar-taxes.php

That's why I buy the majority of my cigars out of state, or on-line.   Maryland is a ****ing joke.   I hit JR cigars, in South Carolina, every March.   Going to a cigar event, at JR's in Burlington in June, and am going to stock up.  

6 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That's why I buy the majority of my cigars out of state, or on-line.   Maryland is a ****ing joke.   I hit JR cigars, in South Carolina, every March.   Going to a cigar event, at JR's in Burlington in June, and am going to stock up.  

That's insane, they are forcing the importation and online sales this the only people they are hurting are the B&M shops. But then again that's probably the point.

attachment.jpg

Cigar Of The Day: Davidoff Chefs Edition: what a beautiful looking stick, nearly invisible seams, noticeable veins. Leather nuttiness, with mild cocoa on cold draw.

It began with leather and a long white pepper finish as I began, the pepper faded as the cigar warmed up. A medium bodied grassy creamy leather machine! The beautiful part of this stick was the fact that the melody of hay and leather ran consistent, but interspersed throughout the smoke nuggets of cashews, caramel, cedar, and occasional pepper appeared and then dropped like tasty solos in the symphony. A truly remarkable stick. But at $30 each...I'm just glad it was gifted to me!!

Archived