Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Smoking Room (cigar smoker's thread)

AsburySkinsFan

Not to **** all over ASF's post, but I wanted to point something out here, in hopes it saves someone a bit of grief, but look at the band on the Cohiba here:

28081138853_39e517395c_c.jpg

See how the "Cohiba" cuts that third row of white boxes in half? That's a sure fire way to spot a counterfeit.  Here is what the bands should look like, for each cigar brand: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/counterfeit

Also, before you go to a Cuban-selling country, research the holograms, stamps, etc. for that year.

Again--apologies to ASF, hopefully I didn't kick you in the dinger with this info. And I hope this helps someone in the future.

Oh damn!! Great catch Riggo and a great resource going forward.  Thank you!

Although after looking at it it does not exactly match the counterfeit either.  Looks like a new style counterfeit.  It has the gold embossing of the new style but the error of an old style counterfeit. 

Yeah, we've wondered about them. 

They are a couple of years old, but smoked great so we didn't care that much. I talked to the guy at a local cigar shop, he had a counterfeit that was bought IN the Cohiba factory in Havana by a doctor. It was the newer band and had the bad checker board, and was missing the hologram. But the audacity to sell a counterfeit in the factory is staggering, and really makes me wonder how quality control will be once Cuba is opened up.

Here was last night's enjoyment: Romeo Y Julieta 1875 Aniversario Gold Medal, earthy medium body with light spicy cedar. Very nice easy smoke.

29012644615_8700276cfa_c.jpg

11 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Yeah, we've wondered about them. 

They are a couple of years old, but smoked great so we didn't care that much. I talked to the guy at a local cigar shop, he had a counterfeit that was bought IN the Cohiba factory in Havana by a doctor. It was the newer band and had the bad checker board, and was missing the hologram. But the audacity to sell a counterfeit in the factory is staggering, and really makes me wonder how quality control will be once Cuba is opened up.

Yeah, some counterfeit or factory seconds I've smoked have been great smokes. I can't believe someone would sell a counterfeit one right in the factory. I was told by a shop owner in St. Maarten that cigar rollers get paid something obscene like $0.20 an hour--but are able to roll the scraps and sell those on their own. So some of the counterfeits and ones in cigar stores are those--so same tobacco, just not as high-quality.

I was talking with someone about that very topic--what is the QC going to be when that market opens? I am intrigued though, by things that Carlos Fuente (before his recent death) said about having a plan to incorporate Cuban tobacco in his brands. I also am curious how the industry will handle false advertising--you know ****ty cigar brands claiming "MADE WITH REAL CUBAN TOBACCO!!!" but really it's just the **** left over from Phillip Morris.

19 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Not sure why the fascination with Cuban cigars. I've smoked quite a few, (Cohiba, Romeo y Julieta, Bolivar, etc), and they are really good.

Having said that,  smokes from the Dominican are every bit as good, IMO, as the Cubans, and not as expensive.  

There are dominicans that are as good, but not as consistent--the draw, construction, flavor, etc. are far more consistent from Cubans than any other origin.

And I will also say, if you want good non-Cubans, Nicaraguan is the way to go: My Father (including Flor de las Antilles), Tatuaje, Alec Bradley, Perdomo, Rocky Patel, La Aroma de Cuba, CAO, and Padron.

54 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

There are dominicans that are as good, but not as consistent--the draw, construction, flavor, etc. are far more consistent from Cubans than any other origin.

And I will also say, if you want good non-Cubans, Nicaraguan is the way to go: My Father (including Flor de las Antilles), Tatuaje, Alec Bradley, Perdomo, Rocky Patel, La Aroma de Cuba, CAO, and Padron.

That makes sense. Every Cuban cigar that I've smoked has been well-constructed, delicious, (and expensive!)

I like the Nicarguans too, especially Padron and La Aroma de Cuba. I'm not crazy about Perdomo. I was underwhelmed by the ones that I've tried. 

On 8/16/2016 at 8:31 AM, Riggo#44 said:

I was told by a shop owner in St. Maarten that cigar rollers get paid something obscene like $0.20 an hour--but are able to roll the scraps and sell those on their own. So some of the counterfeits and ones in cigar stores are those--so same tobacco, just not as high-quality.

Yep, that's the same thing the tobbacanist said, they go back and grab scraps or factory throw outs and sell them. These are a couple years old if I understood correctly, so I'm wondering if the lable issue is a result of being an older cigar.

Either way it was a good smoke, and not full of worms and trash.

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

LOL!!  Every single time I read a review that says the cigar tastes earthy, I just wonder why in the world dirt taste is supposed to be a good characteristic!

I think the same thing when people talk about coffee. Earthy=dirt.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night's adventure.

Carrillo Inch natural, this is a monster! This is a defining moment cigar for me, others will be measured as before and after. Took nearly two hours from start to finish. Smooth and very well balanced throughout. Tasting: wood and caramel, mild spice crept in late and just added to the experience. The ash cone was so strong that it lasted from light to the band and beyond! This was a joy!!

29347917026_edbb371518_c.jpg

28760825333_ef37816568_c.jpg

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Really?  I love that cigar.  Also characterized as medium, not full bodied.  To each their own, though.  

Yep, I know lots of people who like them.  Not my thing.  My favorite so far is a Bolivar Petite Corona Cuban I had.  It was awesome.  Want to get some bigger ones of those.

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Really?  I love that cigar.  Also characterized as medium, not full bodied.  To each their own, though.  

Here's the red one I smoked a week or so back (forgot to post it). The reviews said straight red pepper all the way, also said that if you wanted a good laugh then teach someone to retrohale using this cigar.

My experience was quite different. There was certainly red pepper but it was not unpleasant at all, a bit like a mild salsa at most. I didn't find the cigar all that appealing overall but it wasn't because of the spice. It was just that I think they are so intent on making a spicy cigar that they sacrifice a lot of the other complexities.

29098470620_8829acb335_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's cool, what do you like about it?

To me it tasted really mild with a cedar and dark chocolate/coffee type flavor.  I thought it was really light but rates a medium to full body.  So I'm not sure how they classify that.  I just am trying to find what I like and smoke it. 

Just had a shipment come in today.  Some Cohiba Siglo III's, Partagas #4, more Bolivar's, and a hand rolled no brand Cuban that smells out of this world. 

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

To me it tasted really mild with a cedar and dark chocolate/coffee type flavor.  I thought it was really light but rates a medium to full body.  So I'm not sure how they classify that.  I just am trying to find what I like and smoke it. 

Just had a shipment come in today.  Some Cohiba Siglo III's, Partagas #4, more Bolivar's, and a hand rolled no brand Cuban that smells out of this world. 

Where do you get your shipment from? And are you willing to share?

Archived