No Excuses

The Brexit Thread

Recommended Posts

UK election taking place today.

 

 

 
Still probably headed for a conservative majority.

 

Edited by No Excuses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exit Polls say the Tories win big - real big.  Brexit will happen (if the polls are correct of course). Conservatives projected to have 368 seats (86 seat majority) which is well beyond pre-election projections.

 

If this holds it would be biggest electoral victory since Thatcher (Her last two were over 100 seat majorities).

 

Edited by nonniey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Potentially the biggest Labor loss in almost a century. Hopefully Corbyn now exits the stage and US Dems learn a valuable lesson and stop chasing unicorns

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DoneMessedUp said:

Potentially the biggest Labor loss in almost a century. Hopefully Corbyn now exits the stage and US Dems learn a valuable lesson and stop chasing unicorns

 

Well two parts really that led to this -  Brexit and having an unpalatable leader of the main opposition party. Yeah you can go too far in who you pick as your leader. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I seriously want to leave this F up Country.

 

Hail.

Don't wanna come here.

 

 

So this makes a no-deal Brexit more likely, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t follow U.K. politics, but Jeremy Corbyn is the long time supporter of Venezuela’s Chavez and Maduro right?  If he’s the same guy I’m thinking of I’m kind of surprised he got this close to being PM.  I thought he was just some wing nut politician.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Destino said:

I don’t follow U.K. politics, but Jeremy Corbyn is the long time supporter of Venezuela’s Chavez and Maduro right?  If he’s the same guy I’m thinking of I’m kind of surprised he got this close to being PM.  I thought he was just some wing nut politician.

 

Corbyn is leader of the Labor party, which means (correct me if I'm wrong) only the Labor MPs can vote out Corbyn as leader.   Kind of like how House Majority/Minority leaders are elected.  (Speaker of the House is actually full house vote, so not exactly the same, though effectively controlled by one party as you don't generally see Republicans voting for a Democratic speaker and vice-versa)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Don't wanna come here.

 

 

So this makes a no-deal Brexit more likely, correct?

No Johnson will be able to get his deal passed now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Destino said:

I don’t follow U.K. politics, but Jeremy Corbyn is the long time supporter of Venezuela’s Chavez and Maduro right?  If he’s the same guy I’m thinking of I’m kind of surprised he got this close to being PM.  I thought he was just some wing nut politician.

Well there, like here the wing nuts became a plurality.

Edited by nonniey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 minutes ago, nonniey said:

No Johnson will be able to get his deal passed now.

We'll see.  It's not certain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of you seem forget that Corbyn as PM would have been the worst case scenario.  He would have been a catastrophe for British, US and European interests. He was what other Labour members called a Trot, as in a Trotskyist/Marxist.   If there was any one person Putin would want as PM it would have been Corbyn.

Edited by nonniey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an amazing display of political and economic suicide over a three year period by both conservatives and Labour. No one wins in this.  This is only the beginning of what will be a very bad decade, in which Scotland and Northern Ireland will undergo massive internal conflict, and will almost certainly vote for secession.

Edited by No Excuses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nonniey said:

A lot of you seem forget that Corbyn as PM would have been the worst case scenario.  He would have been a catastrophe for British, US and European interests. He was what other Labour members called a Trot, as in a Trotskyist/Marxist.   If there was any one person Putin would want as PM it would have been Corbyn.


He’s supported Cuba, Evo Morales in Bolivia, and Venezuela’s regime.  Is he really seen as an opponent of Russia?  If so, how?  Is there a strong armed socialist regime on the planet he doesn’t support?  Certainly doesn’t appear to be any in Latin America.  (Which is why I recognize his name). I understand the draw of so called democratic socialism, but this guy seems to be all in for the other kind of socialism.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nonniey said:

No Johnson will be able to get his deal passed now.

 

Through Parliament, maybe.  The EU also has to approve of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.