Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox: Jordan Reed signs 5 Year Contract Extension

Morrison J

Since it's an extention, as far as I know there is no new money being paid to him this year, starting in 2017 he'll be getting the raise.

Thanks. You are right. Being an extension, they shouldn't have to make any moves to accommodate Reed's new deal.

Thanks. You are right. Being an extension, they shouldn't have to make any moves to accommodate Reed's new deal.

I still think he's gets money this year as a bonus.  They can probably schedule it during camp or something so that the timing of June 1st savings doesn't matter.

I know I quoted you, but I was not necessarily talking about you in terms of those thoughts. Was speaking more in general.

I am with you for the most part. I totally agree being interested in the numbers. And of course we make our own judgments on if it's a good deal or bad deal. I guess what I am hung up, and it's very minor, is that it's "important". I mean what part or our lives will be changed based on the actual numbers? It's really a minor thing, splitting hairs. 

When I am playing arm chair QB, thinking about this team, where I see it now and where I see it going and a franchise changing move occurs to me I think of it like dropping a rock into a still pond. With everything there is a ripple effect

the-ripple-effect.jpg

One small change can have a profound impact on everything and usually does.

Example in real life my favorite current player has been the same since 2011 and it's Ryan Kerrigan. If say signing Reed meant that we couldn't afford to keep him and he was let go, would that make me as happy about signing Jordan Reed? No honestly not at all. But that's me and how I think.

Whenever someone signs it effects everything else. So when I want to see the details of a signing my thinking is who will get impacted by this based on the ripple effect. Before I get excited about any player signing I tamper my excitement before I can see the numbers and make sense of it. Not that I have some delusion that I have any impact, say, or think my opinion matters in the teams decisions I still support this team and always will. So should I be happy about this signing, yes. Am I excited about this signing, not yet. All comes down to the structure of the deal and this isn't about Jordan Reed persay, it's the same for all players.

If I didn't get excited about the deals my team (damn did it again with the "my" sorry those who are offended) made then I wouldn't spend my time here. Redskins are in my DNA and always will be. I am writing this from Dallas Texas too. Whenever the Redskins do anything I always get comments from my Cowboys friends here. I tend to be prepared for those conversations too and since the media likes splashy headlines its good to combat things like 5 Years 75 Million bs with reality for me.

"Honestly I don't want to be anywhere else than here. I love it here. I love playing for the Redskins. I love all my coaches and all my teammates. I love this area, man. They gave me that deal and I took it...I'm just happy to be a Redskin."

- Jordan Reed

Free Agents 2017

1. Kirk Cousins - Likely signed (20 mill)
  2. Pierre Garçon - between DJax and Garcon, not guessing SM's mind
  3. Chris Baker - likely to get ~5 mill
  4. Jordan Reed - got the 10 mill
  5. Junior Galette - 10-12 mill is best guess
  6. DeSean Jackson- between DJax and Garcon, not guessing SM's mind

What I outlined a few times in other posts, is this is doable with no cuts. 

2018 FA

Morgan Moses, Breeland and maybe Spencer Long.  At that time Lauvao, Lich, Perry, probably Hall and others will be gone. 

Right now Kerrigan, Trent, Norman, Tress and now Reed signed through 2020 (and Doctson has an option).  There is flexibility and we are in good shape.

If we have to rely on the players to stretch before a game, then thats a serious problem. The coaches should be hounding these guys about stretching before a game. Always made me wonder if this partially had a factor in all of our injuries we seem to rack up every year. The coaches not having them do group stretches before each game is just stupid. I see other teams doing it, so why not us? I always see our guys just walking around the field before a game.... very stupid.

EVERY team does pre game warmups. Which includes stretching. They're out on the field at least an hour before kick off. Kickers/punters are out earlier & always first ones out so they have an empty half of the field to kick on.

I watched the second Philly game with a Pats fan. At one point he literally said Reed is equally as dangerous as Gronk. High praise from a knowledgeable Fran.

I was at the GB game and watched the kid step up on big stage.

Love it

this is great news... JR is one of those guys who has proven his worth at a young age and now gets rewarded... with our receiving corps, the Kirk of last year, and some semblance of a respectable run attack, we should be scoring a lot of points this season.

I've believed this for a long time, you can't listen to the national analysts. I just heard Schlereth compliment Reed on his blocking. Talking about he has "great technique".

Ugh. :facepalm:

Reed and Doctson and Red Zone, oh my!

So pumped!

The main thing I am excited about is going into another year of the same system with the same players.  We have not had something like this in so long.  I hear it's how quality franchises are successful. 

If we have to rely on the players to stretch before a game, then thats a serious problem. The coaches should be hounding these guys about stretching before a game. Always made me wonder if this partially had a factor in all of our injuries we seem to rack up every year. The coaches not having them do group stretches before each game is just stupid. I see other teams doing it, so why not us? I always see our guys just walking around the field before a game.... very stupid.

379.gif

Belichick knows Reed's worth:

<Reed double teamed with everyone else in single coverage against Pats pic> 

Man, looking at that made me think how if Josh Doctson pans out as expected... teams can't pull that crap and get away with it like the Pats did that game. Fade to Doctson one on one is so easy right there.  

They can double both, but then either Jones or Cousins himself will waltz into the end zone lol...

Jay is one of the best in the league at designing route combinations in general, but what many forget is just how good he is at it in the redzone.

He had the Bengals at the top there and it wasn't just AJ Green catching fades. Sanu, Jones and Gresham were all heavily involved. It was not an accident we made a huge jump there last season as compared to the previous how many years (with the exception of 2012).  

Gruden knows how to use the varying skill sets of his pass catchers. We're going to see some dominance offensively so long as we remain relatively healthy and Doctson pans out as expected, God willing.

"Honestly I don't want to be anywhere else than here. I love it here. I love playing for the Redskins. I love all my coaches and all my teammates. I love this area, man. They gave me that deal and I took it...I'm just happy to be a Redskin."

- Jordan Reed

Sounds like we should have low balled him haha he might have jumped on it

Reed extension was through 2021. That's six NFL seasons. The extension was reported to be 5 years 22 guaranteed 50 million total. If I am interpreting this correctly the 22 million is spread starting this year or over the next six season and he plays under his final year rookie salary this season. The jump base pay probably doesn't kick in till next year. No brainer! 

Jay is one of the best in the league at designing route combinations in general, but what many forget is just how good he is at it in the redzone.

He had the Bengals at the top there and it wasn't just AJ Green catching fades. Sanu, Jones and Gresham were all heavily involved.

Gruden knows how to use the varying skill sets of his pass catchers. We're going to see some dominance offensively so long as we remain relatively healthy and Doctson pans out as expected, God willing.

..."and the creek don't rise"

;)

He had the Bengals at the top there and it wasn't just AJ Green catching fades. Sanu, Jones and Gresham were all heavily involved. It was not an accident we made a huge jump there last season as compared to the previous how many years (with the exception of 2012).  

Very true, all of that, but especially the part in bold.

Archived