Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox: Jordan Reed signs 5 Year Contract Extension

Morrison J

Woah. This was very unexpected! I assumed they'd sign him next offseason. This makes me very happy :) great signing, locking him up for the next 5 years. Reed balled out this season, only missed two games. Had the most touchdowns by a tight end since Cooley. Scott mccloughan keeps on doin great things :D

Lol at fans "wanting to reserve judgement until I see the numbers."

Who are you again? Just a fan. You guys get too caught up with being armchair GMs.

We have a real one for once. I think he's shown he's not an idiot and knows a little bit about his job. I know he's not perfect, but you gotta trust that he knows the deal.

Years of "we never sign our own, but sign other team's garbage" were the complaints. Now we DO re-sign our own and people still gotta gripe.

Just be happy for once we're doing things right. Unlike Vinny, Scot, Bruce and Eric know how to maximize the cap.

Why are you so defensive? Did I say anything at all like I don't trust the GM? Just because there are men who are paid to make these decisions doesn't mean we can't question the moves they make. Who are you? Just a fan as well.  Does that mean you agree with every move we have ever made since you became a fan? I doubt it. Does that mean you will never wonder if we made the right moves? I doubt that as well.

As I pointed out we have just set the all time record for money given to a TE (Jimmy Graham was given less guaranteed money so we just set the bar). Did I say I was against the move? No I clearly am for this move and bullish on this but I know that Reed was drafted in 2013 and has never played a full 16 game season and never had a 1000 yard season to this point setting the salary record is a hefty price to pay, But my question really is how hefty is this really?

The issue isn't that when he plays hes worth every penny but the media puts out these numbers - 5 years 50 million, or 5 years 75 million - they mean nothing. The details are important. That's where you see things like clauses that get you out of deals you may want to get out of like Culliver, or how the money is laid out over the course of the years so we can see how much we have now and how much we have later, and most importantly how much will the player count against the cap if it all goes South which can happen. 22 guaranteed is basically two plus years of franchise tagging but as long as he continues to play well not bad in the large picture.

I don't believe any one asking for the details today is wrong to do so especially after all that's just transpired with us this year. Again you seem to want to paint me into the light of being Bearish on this signing. I am not. I simply asked to see how it was structured.

Scot McLoughan is going to be the 2nd most significant person in DC sports history(Gibbs always 1)

Unless he wins multiple SBs with a coach he picked (Gruden would somehow have to leave us), he won't touch Beathard.  Beathard is arguably more significant than Gibbs.  Also, as far as significance, what about Marshall, Baugh, Cooke and even George Allen.

Love this move.

If I remember correctly, he changed his diet and workout habits (more stretching especially) last off-season, and that had a lot to do with his break-out, almost injury-free, season last year.  I've seen some of the videos he's posted on social media this off-season, and he looks like even more of a beast than he did last year.  I'm sure the GM took notice.

Unless he wins multiple SBs with a coach he picked (Gruden would somehow have to leave us), he won't touch Beathard. Beathard is arguably more significant than Gibbs. Also, as far as significance, what about Marshall, Baugh, Cooke and even George Allen.

I beg to differ. Gibbs led a Vinny constructed team to the playoffs twice. In hindsight, an almost impossible fete.

Why are you so defensive? Did I say anything at all like I don't trust the GM? Just because there are men who are paid to make these decisions doesn't mean we can't question the moves they make. Who are you? Just a fan as well. Does that mean you agree with every move we have ever made since you became a fan? I doubt it. Does that mean you will never wonder if we made the right moves?

As I pointed out we have just set the all time record for money given to a TE. Did I say I was against the move? No I clearly am for this but when you realize that Reed was drafted in 2013 and has neither ever played a 16 game season and never had a 1000 yard season to this point it is a hefty price to pay, But how hefty is it?

The issue isn't that when he plays hes worth every penny but the media puts out these numbers - 5 years 50 million, or 5 years 75 million - and they mean nothing. The details are important. That's where you see things like clauses that get you out of deals you may want to get out of like Culliver, or how the money is laid out over the course of the years so we can see how much we have now and how much we have later.

I don't believe any one asking for the details today is wrong to do so.

Defensive? Hardly. Hence the LOL to begin my post. It cracks me up that fans want to be "cc'd" by Bruce and Scot on their moves.

I never said he was perfect. He's made plenty of mistakes in his career. But he has built winners everywhere he's been, so that says something.

I feel like you are the defensive one since you've been responding to multiple posts.

Getting one of the best young TE's in the NFL locked up could turn out to be a great move.  Everyone saw how important he is to this offense when able to stay reasonably healthy.  He is almost impossibly to cover with one guy and forces defenses to choose between doubling him and freeing up other receivers or getting burned in single coverage all game.

But to pretend there is not significant risk with this move is just illogical.

Reed is ultra talented but there is real injury and disability concerns with him also.  He has a history of suffering injuries and missing significant time throughout his career.  Last season was the first time as a pro that he managed to stay mostly healthy.  People seem to quickly forget that during his early seasons the familiar refrain here and in the media was that Reed is a talented guy but not very tough and unable to fight through even minor injuries.  Chris Cooley just 2 years ago questioned on air if Reed "has even average NFL toughness".  Not to mention Reed has a history with concussions and one more blow to the head could result in missing significant time.

There is risk with any contract and the Skins have recently seen both sides of that spectrum.  The good news is Scott McCloughan is better equipped to handles these issues than anyone this organization has had in 2 plus decades.   But look no further than the Chris Culliver signing to see how it can work out.  Culliver had a history of injury yet signed a large deal with the Skins and couldn't even make it through one season without getting hurt again.  The only saving grace was a suspension clause that allowed the Skins to get out of the contract without suffering as much of a cap hit.  

Hopefully Jordan Reed will build on last seasons play, continue to get stronger and avoid missing too many games with injury.  No question that if he stays healthy that getting him locked up now will prove to be a great move but as always this type of move given his history is a significant risk...

Reed is an elite talent who is a nightmare for defenses.  Obviously his big concern is health, but the more we limit his play inside the box and allow him to utilize his pass catching skills, the less risk injury is.  Keep defenders off this kids head!

Reed is ultra talented but there is real injury and disability concerns with him also.  He has a history of suffering injuries and missing significant time throughout his career.  Last season was the first time as a pro that he managed to stay mostly healthy.  People seem to quickly forget that during his early seasons the familiar refrain here and in the media was that Reed is a talented guy but not very tough and unable to fight through even minor injuries.  Chris Cooley just 2 years ago questioned on air if Reed "has even average NFL toughness".  Not to mention Reed has a history with concussions and one more blow to the head could result in missing significant time.

The biggest concern to me as far as his health goes is the multiple concussions. Those are the ones that get scary because another one at anytime could be a career ender. But like anything in life if you want to succeed you must take risks. If we didnt pay Reed someone else would have in the off season. Look at the FA contracts that Graham, Kelce and Thomas signed. Reed is slotted right where he should be really.

http://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

Why are you so defensive? Did I say anything at all like I don't trust the GM? Just because there are men who are paid to make these decisions doesn't mean we can't question the moves they make. Who are you? Just a fan as well.  Does that mean you agree with every move we have ever made since you became a fan? I doubt it. Does that mean you will never wonder if we made the right moves? I doubt that as well.

As I pointed out we have just set the all time record for money given to a TE (Jimmy Graham was given less guaranteed money so we just set the bar). Did I say I was against the move? No I clearly am for this move and bullish on this but I know that Reed was drafted in 2013 and has never played a full 16 game season and never had a 1000 yard season to this point setting the salary record is a hefty price to pay, But my question really is how hefty is this really?

The issue isn't that when he plays hes worth every penny but the media puts out these numbers - 5 years 50 million, or 5 years 75 million - they mean nothing. The details are important. That's where you see things like clauses that get you out of deals you may want to get out of like Culliver, or how the money is laid out over the course of the years so we can see how much we have now and how much we have later, and most importantly how much will the player count against the cap if it all goes South which can happen. 22 guaranteed is basically two plus years of franchise tagging but as long as he continues to play well not bad in the large picture.

I don't believe any one asking for the details today is wrong to do so especially after all that's just transpired with us this year. Again you seem to want to paint me into the light of being Bearish on this signing. I am not. I simply asked to see how it was structured.

So here is a question, what are you going to do if you don't like the numbers/contract? What action are you going to take? Not trying to be argumentative here I promise. Just asking the question. I mean there is nothing we can do about it.

I am for wanting to see the numbers out of pure curiosity. I love looking at the CAP implications myself. But we really do have a good FO now. I trust they did the right thing. I am sure they looked at every angle.

Having said that, I think this deeper concern and apprehension is a residual of the vinny days, when most everyone in the world was smarter than him. After each contract we wondered how long we would be paying someone who was no longer on the team making it impossible to sign quality people (aren't we still paying Deion Sanders?).

Another positive season with no cap hell will hopefully help get rid of the vinny nightmares and have a little more faith in the current FO without having to see the numbers. Again, it's not just not Scot. Bruce doesn't do much well, but he really does understand the CAP. It's the one thing he really does well. We really came through the cap penalties much better than it could have been. As bad as the impact was, it could have been much worse if not managed properly.

If we have to rely on the players to stretch before a game, then thats a serious problem. The coaches should be hounding these guys about stretching before a game. Always made me wonder if this partially had a factor in all of our injuries we seem to rack up every year. The coaches not having them do group stretches before each game is just stupid. I see other teams doing it, so why not us? I always see our guys just walking around the field before a game.... very stupid.

You take a chance on "every" player with "every" contract. Each player is one play away from ending their career. Just ask Joe Theismann. You can't think about that all of the time. He stayed healthy and had a monster year. Nature of the Beast with Pro Sports to hand out contracts like this after only one year.

Be thankful TE is not a worry next year when we have a lot of picks in a deep draft.

I beg to differ. Gibbs led a Vinny constructed team to the playoffs twice. In hindsight, an almost impossible fete.

And although I think no one cares about this he's such a great manager/leader he is now the king of NASCAR. GOAT (arguably) for the league period, definitely for us imo

The money they saved by cutting Culliver doesn't happen till June 1st, does it? Since he was designated a post-June 1st cut.

I wonder if they are getting ready to cut someone else or if they need to?

Since it's an extention, as far as I know there is no new money being paid to him this year, starting in 2017 he'll be getting the raise.

So I went through the entire thread, and didn't come across a single post saying they didn't like the signing.  A few people expressed some concern over Reed's injury history and were looking forward to seeing what if any language reflecting that would be in the contract and that blew up into "EHRMAGERD! YOU QUESTION SCOT, LOL SO STOOPID!"

Maybe I'll just lol people's reading comprehension levels.

So here is a question, what are you going to do if you don't like the numbers/contract? What action are you going to take? Not trying to be argumentative here I promise. Just asking the question. I mean there is nothing we can do about it. <---- True and honestly just pray about it. That's just what I do. I will always want to see past the headline grabbing 5 years 50 million/5 years 75 million numbers. Even if we signed Tom Brady, because that's where you know exactly what you got, how excited you should be, and what it means for the other dominoes to fall.

Having said that, I think this deeper concern and apprehension is a residual of the vinny days, when most everyone in the world was smarter than him. After each contract we wondered how long we would be paying someone who was no longer on the team making it impossible to sign quality people (aren't we still paying Deion Sanders?). <--- Just so you know that's not my issue, I don't post much but do believe when I do I've said here more then a few times that our team is not being managed by the same people so they shouldn't be judged by those actions and this team regardless that it has failed in the past doesn't have the right to quit trying either. I think some people here may have that issue but I do not. I trust in Scot. I believe we are in good hands. 

Another positive season with no cap hell will hopefully help get rid of the vinny nightmares and have a little more faith in the current FO without having to see the numbers. <--- I will always want to see numbers even if we were coming off a winning Superbowl season which I can see happening in the next three years if Kirk continues to improve. If I learned anything from all of the readings I have done about signings, the details are important regardless of who signed the deal or the player. I know I have no say in whatever we did, I just want to take an honest look at the headlines

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/05/05/draft-why-jordan-reed-can-be-best-receiving-te-behind-gronk-if-he-stays-healthy/

From a pure production standpoint, Reed is worth the money he is earning. You would expect him to continue to improve and remain one of the best tight ends throughout the rest of his contract. However, there is a real injury risk associated with Reed, who has yet to play a full 16-game season. He’s had several concussions throughout his career. He’s on the path of a player who could retire early.

For the short term, it means Washington’s best receiver should be happy entering a season in which the team hopes to remain division champions. They were already four-deep at receiver heading into the offseason, with DeSean Jackson (80.1), Pierre Garcon (79.5) and Jamison Crowder (76.9), and then added TCU’s Josh Doctson in the first round of the draft. Washington’s offense will remain one of the more exciting in the league both in 2016, and potentially for years to come.

Archived