Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox: Jordan Reed signs 5 Year Contract Extension

Morrison J

I can live with those numbers. If he stays healthy he is one of the best offensive players in the NFL. The guy just can't be covered one on one by almost anyone, no matter who teams put out there on him...CBs, Safeties, LBs.

I want Reed to be a Skin for life, but his injury problems do worry me. I was hoping we would let him play out his final year and then tag him if he stayed healthy. If he got hurt this year or next year under the tag, it would be a good bargaining chip for us when negotiating a long term deal with him.

I guess that would be the more jerky approach.

May need the tag again next year for Kirk. I love the move getting Reed locked up now.

Very happy with this news. However reserving judgment for now until I see the guaranteed money and structure. I wanted this done just don't want to see us taken to the cleaners.

Us?

It isn't your money. Or mine.

Well, to be fair, what is he gonna say?  

"Yeah, man. I'm totally going to just be always hurt"

He did what so few Redskins have done under the Snyder Era: He didn't say a word and went out and became one of the best at his position.

Now we understand the timing of Cully's cut. Front office needed money for this extension. I really like the idea of keeping Reed. A little annoyed that it had to be the highest contract ever signed for a TE, as was Kerrigan's, and I think so was Trent Williams. These are top player's for sure, but especially with Kerrigan and Reed they aren't absolute number ones.

Be nice to have got a home town discount.

Tagging him would have cost us between 8 and 9 next year. 22 isn't that great to me but clearly puts him as the top paid TE ever since Graham's deal only included 13 and next was Julius Thomas when he got 21 last year. It's a lot of money. Most ever. Now how is it structured? Still talent wins so I'm happy

When you have good scouts and a GM who's great at finding talent, you find quality depth all over the place...and it doesn't require significant sums of $$ to acquire.

Well by that argument, we wouldn't have given him the second highest contract to a TE, which is significant amount of money lol. (threw in the lol just for you ;) )

I'm glad we signed him, I agree it is a good move to sign our own that perform.  My original point was I would just like to see the details of the contract to see if we covered ourselves in case his injury history raises its head again.  I don't think that is an unreasonable, Scot-bashing concern to have.

To clarify, he's playing out 2016 on his rookie deal and then the extension commences in 2017? I guess the advantage of this over tagging him next year and paying him in 2018 is getting one more year of his prime under a guaranteed contract so we're not paying him big money with a big cap hit at 30 if he gets the eventual 5-year deal.

Also, Kelce got 5/46M (20M gtd) and Ertz got 5/42M (21M gtd). Reed is so much better than those donks.

Now we understand the timing of Cully's cut. Front office needed money for this extension.

The money they saved by cutting Culliver doesn't happen till June 1st, does it? Since he was designated a post-June 1st cut.

I wonder if they are getting ready to cut someone else or if they need to?

It bothers you when fanatics refer to the team in the possessive (us we etc?) serious question

The Redskins have always been my team and I have invested so much emotional energy (and money) into them that I have no hesitation in saying "we"

It's our team like it's our country.

Depth is an entirely different issue and in fact is counter to this.  The more you pay a player the less you have to pay for the depth behind them.

This is why the draft is so important.  Multiple successful draft picks will keep overall cost down and depth good.

It bothers you when fanatics refer to the team in the possessive (us we etc?) serious question

No. Fans obsessing needlessly over the cap as if Scott, Bruce, and Eric have no clue how to handle it is what is sad.

The Redskins have always been my team and I have invested so much emotional energy (and money) into them that I have no hesitation in saying "we"

It's our team like it's our country.

That's how I see it as well.

I've never seen a response like that before so I was curious if that really bothered someone else, seems odd to me but I don't want to upset anyone which is why I said serious question. Learn something every day

Lol at fans "wanting to reserve judgement until I see the numbers."

Who are you again? Just a fan. You guys get too caught up with being armchair GMs.

We have a real one for once. I think he's shown he's not an idiot and knows a little bit about his job. I know he's not perfect, but you gotta trust that he knows the deal.

Years of "we never sign our own, but sign other team's garbage" were the complaints. Now we DO re-sign our own and people still gotta gripe.

Just be happy for once we're doing things right. Unlike Vinny, Scot, Bruce and Eric know how to maximize the cap.

Who are you again? Just a fan. You guys get too caught up with being armchair GMs.

We have a real one for once. I think he's shown he's not an idiot and knows a little bit about his job. I know he's not perfect, but you gotta trust that he knows the deal.

Years of "we never sign our own, but sign other team's garbage" were the complaints. Now we DO re-sign our own and people still gotta gripe.

Just be happy for once we're doing things right. Unlike Vinny, Scot, Bruce and Eric know how to maximize the cap.

Great post.

They also ignore the time value of money. Locking in these contracts now where they seem high is actually economically beneficially long term.

Buying low.

With Cousins, we are buying high.

Now we understand the timing of Cully's cut. Front office needed money for this extension. I really like the idea of keeping Reed. A little annoyed that it had to be the highest contract ever signed for a TE, as was Kerrigan's, and I think so was Trent Williams. These are top player's for sure, but especially with Kerrigan and Reed they aren't absolute number ones.

Be nice to have got a home town discount.

If Jordan Reed comes even close to his production last year, then this is a steal and absolutely is a hometown discount.  Next year on the open market he'd be commanding much more than 5/$50MM with $22MM in guarantees.  Fantastic move by GMSM and excellent foresight. 

I'll always refer to MY Skins, Caps, Bullets, and O's as "we."  I've lived and died enough with those teams that they are most certainly a part of me. 

I want to sticky this post to the top of the Stadium Forum.  I almost didn't want to read this thread since there are so many negative Nancy's and plenty of "I'm smarter than you and the Redskins front office" folks here slinging out their "knowledge" of the salary cap.

WE HAVE COMPETENCE IN THE FRONT OFFICE NOW.  BE HAPPY FOR ONCE!

Archived