Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox: Jordan Reed signs 5 Year Contract Extension

Morrison J

http://es.redskins.com/topic/400992-culliver-released/page-3#entry10586990

Reed has ~1.8 mill cap hit this year.  For sake of argument, let's say the skins willing to offer him Jimmy Grahams 4/40 deal, for the next 4 years.  Reed would be making basically 5/42.

Give him a signing bonus and higher salary this year.  Reed gets money now, so it favors him (especially with his injury history). 

Set it up that Reed gets basically 8.4 mill a year.  Lowers the 10 mill hit next year, 1.6 mill (and the 3 years after).  It also adds 6.6 mill to this year, lowering the 12 mill available.  There are more ways than rollover to get money into this year and save for next year.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/400992-culliver-released/page-2#entry10585910

I got average per year right, they just wanted another year.  6/52 and keep him through 2021.  Not to shabby.

Wow this thread got defensive quick haha.

This is great, Reed was one of the most impactful players on offense for the Redskins and more than likely, not make the playoffs without him.

Sure its a lot of money but he gets results and if were to leave and kill it elsewhere, fans would flip out!

As fans, we have the right to inquire further about front office moves, no doubt, but I do like this signing and as some have said, places a precedent to other plays:

Play big and get paid. If not, you're out!

I know there is a big trap to look at past contract numbers to determine if something is "overpaid", but you have to keep in mind the NFL's salary cap is always going up.

Guys, Zack Ertz got a deal this year for $8.5 mill per.  Based on that, this is a steal.

Well by that argument, we wouldn't have given him the second highest contract to a TE, which is significant amount of money lol. (threw in the lol just for you ;) )

??...Keeping elite starters requires $$$...finding quality depth does not. So one does not exclude the other.

I liken it to playing with a handicap :)

Touche' lol...

I know there is a big trap to look at past contract numbers to determine if something is "overpaid", but you have to keep in mind the NFL's salary cap is always going up.

Guys, Zack Ertz got a deal this year for $8.5 mill per.  Based on that, this is a steal.

With the exception of Gronk (who signed this a few years ago) these players are within or below the value Reed has to us.  I think it's a fair deal.

Formatting went a bit wonky, I highlighted the average per year for these guys.

http://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

Player Team Total

Value Avg./Year ▾ Total

Guaranteed Avg.

Guar./Year %

Guaranteed Free Agency

Jimmy Graham Seahawks $40,000,000 $10,000,000 $13,000,000 $3,250,000 32.5% 2018 UFA Travis Kelce Chiefs $46,842,000 $9,368,400 $10,517,000 $2,103,400 22.5% 2022 UFA

Julius Thomas Jaguars $46,000,000 $9,200,000 $21,000,000 $4,200,000 45.7% 2020 UFA

Rob Gronkowski Patriots $54,000,000 $9,000,000 $13,170,000 $2,195,000 24.4% 2020 UFA

Zach Ertz Eagles $42,500,000 $8,500,000 $13,318,527 $2,663,705 31.3% 2022 UFA

Charles Clay Bills $38,000,000 $7,600,000 $24,500,000 $4,900,000 64.5% 2020 UFA

Greg Olsen Panthers $22,500,000 $7,500,000 $12,000,000 $4,000,000 53.3% 2019 UFA

Jason Witten Cowboys $37,000,000 $7,400,000 $13,532,000 $2,706,400 36.6% 2018 UFA

Dwayne Allen Colts $29,400,000 $7,350,000 $11,500,000 $2,875,000 39.1% 2020 UFA

It bothers you when fanatics refer to the team in the possessive (us we etc?) serious question

Guy got on me one time for saying something about the Redskins using the word "we". Pet peeve of his.

I was like, "uh huh. Do you wanna know what MY pet peeve is?" That was the end of the conversation.

Guy got on me one time for saying something about the Redskins using the word "we". Pet peeve of his.

I was like, "uh huh. Do you wanna know what MY pet peeve is?" That was the end of the conversation.

I generally can go either way on the them vs we conversation.

I will say at the end of my life, there is a strong chance I will have game planned more opponents, sweat through as many games and suffered/rejoiced as much, if not more than most of the players.  I just don't get paid to do it. 

I beg to differ. Gibbs led a Vinny constructed team to the playoffs twice. In hindsight, an almost impossible fete.

Beathard took over a team with no picks, aging vets and a HC who was pretty much a clone of his mentor.  He picked Gibbs against the wishes of the owner (who wanted Madden).  He was why we kept Pettibon.  He won a political battle with Pardee (OK, the loss to Dallas at the end of 1979 and the suck season of 1980 were big helps in his battle).  Even Gibbs final SB run was significantly helped by the machinations of Beathard just before he was pushed out.  The beginning of the end of the fall of the Redskins dynasty can be traced to the ousting of Bobby.

Did not say that Joe Gibbs was not important, only that Bobby Beathard was arguably more significant than Gibbs.

So here is a question, what are you going to do if you don't like the numbers/contract? What action are you going to take? Not trying to be argumentative here I promise. Just asking the question. I mean there is nothing we can do about it. <---- True and honestly just pray about it. That's just what I do. I will always want to see past the headline grabbing 5 years 50 million/5 years 75 million numbers. Even if we signed Tom Brady, because that's where you know exactly what you got, how excited you should be, and what it means for the other dominoes to fall.

edit for space.... 

happening in the next three years if Kirk continues to improve. If I learned anything from all of the readings I have done about signings, the details are important regardless of who signed the deal or the player. I know I have no say in whatever we did, I just want to take an honest look at the headlines

I know I quoted you, but I was not necessarily talking about you in terms of those thoughts. Was speaking more in general.

I am with you for the most part. I totally agree being interested in the numbers. And of course we make our own judgments on if it's a good deal or bad deal. I guess what I am hung up, and it's very minor, is that it's "important". I mean what part or our lives will be changed based on the actual numbers? It's really a minor thing, splitting hairs. 

Beathard took over a team with no picks, aging vets and a HC who was pretty much a clone of his mentor.  He picked Gibbs against the wishes of the owner (who wanted Madden).  

Did not say that Joe Gibbs was not important, only that Bobby Beathard was arguably more significant than Gibbs.

Running counter to that. Joe Gibbs won his first Super Bowl in his second year. This was before free agency when you could wildly change up the roster and vet it up quickly. Gibbs and Beathard were a fantastic tandem. Gibbs was 1 and Gibbs was 1a. Proof to me is Gibbs did better with Casserly by leaps and bounds than any other coach. Gibbs did leaps and bounds better than any other coach with Vinny.

Beathard though with Miami, Washington, and San Diego doesn't need to take a back seat to anyone though.

Last post of mine on this subject for this thread. Don't want to derail to far.

No kidding.  And now with another big bodied weapon in the RedZone in Doctson, if the offense executes, there really is little stopping us.

On paper this receiving core is ridiculous!  Imagine how defenses have to game plan against Reed, Paul, Davis, Jackson, Garcon, Crowder, Ross and the rook!  Good Lawd!

Hail Em Up!

Also, for anyone worried about structure and such think about this...

When Norman signed 5/75mill there was all kinds of 'they overpaid' talk right out the gate.  Then it was seen to be front loaded a bit and outs after year 2 and 3 that aren't total killer if things don't go well.  That's with a player that has been healthy to this point.  (50 mill of 75 mill guaranteed or 67%)

Reed probably got 10ish mill signing bonus as part of this deal.  Gets him money now, while he stays with the lower contract this year.  That makes ~12 mill guaranteed on the next 5 years.  (guesstimates).  A lot of that could come even in the first year of extension (2017), giving the skins an out if he isn't healthy.  (22 mill of 50 mill guaranteed or 44%). 

Based on guarantees alone, there is a strong chance of safety net built in.

Theres always a WOW factor in the contracts, but it's not only if Reed is better than the other guys who we compare with the numbers... he will make more money just because is 2016, the cap is higher and money just increases... it's called 'inflation'... it's a fact that it will be cheaper to sign him this year than next year besides performance... it's just how capitalist markets work. 

And just like economy works, it's an investment... as an investment, there's risk... Reed could be rentable or not, a success or a failure... if they gave him this contract is because the team feels is a risk worth taking... and not only that, they have to fit the numbers with the rest of the plan for this year and next... and the year after... 

It's Football... NFL... players get hurt... Reed when is not hurt, he can produce, and produce at a high level... that's why we are paying him 

Love the move

In Scot we trust!

HTTR

Now we understand the timing of Cully's cut. Front office needed money for this extension. I really like the idea of keeping Reed. A little annoyed that it had to be the highest contract ever signed for a TE, as was Kerrigan's, and I think so was Trent Williams. These are top player's for sure, but especially with Kerrigan and Reed they aren't absolute number ones.

Be nice to have got a home town discount.

Why would he do that?

This is his first big deal.

I like the idea of Reed getting signed, but the concussion thing has me nervous as a pregnant nun.

As Burgold said, i'm sure there's some form of safety net in his contract, just in case, and it may come in handy faster than we expect; he will be focused on by every CB/S looking to make a name for themselves, and they'll be coming for him..

Lets just hope he can better protect himself on the field

I'm sorry your having a bad day Sir. Hope it gets better for you

Typical non-answer. I'll make sure the front office contacts you in the future before they make any decisions just to get your personal stamp of approval. :rolleyes:

Archived