Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC: Backlash Greets Plans for Muslim Cemeteries Across US

visionary

Again, I suggest that we need a safe space for the folks who are tired of "PC culture". A new thread perhaps?

How is building a cemetery PC?

Define PC.

People want to buy land and use for their own purpose. How is that PC?

I'll define it. Some are upset that minorities, women etc have rights and needs. Sticking up for them offends the jimmies of all the righteous super tough middle aged men.

LOL! You so wanna believe that. Will you be able to go about your day if I told you I was? I'll help another ES brother feel worthwhile anyway I can.

My day is going pretty good, no complaints. I just want to help people find inner piece, and was just reading and it was like your post called out to me in a desperate plea for help.

We all deserve to be happy.

I still want to do how this is PC.

I think thwe actual (unstated) definition of "PC" is:

Every time I (or someone else) publicly demonstrates that they're prejudiced, people look at them funny. And I'm really getting tired of society pressuring me for publicly doing things that ought to be offensive to everybody, but they aren't to us. 

In short, show me somebody complaining about how PC the world is, and I'll show you somebody who's been prejudiced all his life.  And he hasn't changed any of his prejudiced opinions.  He's just learned to keep his mouth shut about a lot of them.  And he's getting tired of all of the pressure that's been building up, for decades, over having to constantly hold back on expressing the feelings that he still has (and will not admit are wrong). 

----------

And, just to be honest, I have to confess that I've got a mild dose of those feelings, myself.  I still remember Polak jokes and N***** jokes that I liked, in high school.  I still remember racial stereotypes that I grew up with.  (Although I also remember a lot of racial things that my peers said, that I just plain didn't get.  I suspect that I probably got a milder indoctrination than a lot of my peers.) 

And, dag nabbit, some of those jokes were funny.  And I do resent the fact that I can't tell them, any more. 

And yes, I do feel racial prejudice.  And it does bother me that I feel like I have to constantly self-censor, to try to compensate for it. 

(Although the rational part of my brain also can recognize that the world will be a better place, if today's children don't learn them, to begin with.) 

I still remember Polak jokes and N***** jokes that I liked, in high school. 

I know I'm focusing on one small part of your post, but can someone explain to me the origin of Polish jokes?  While I don't think it's good to have them around, I can understand that jokes of other ethnicities/skin colors came around out of fear or wanting to diminish someone who looked different.  I know most French or Italian jokes I've heard come from a perceived cowardice in battle.

What did the Poles ever do?  Growing up, one of my friends had a Tasteless Jokes book that has a whole chapter dedicated to the Polish.  I even remember one of them....why do little Polish girls put fish in their pants?  But for the life of me, I have no idea why Polish jokes even became a thing.

For the record, that book had a chapter dedicated to W.A.S.P.'s too, but it was all straight answers because the author was a WASP...thing like, how many W.A.S.P.'s does it take to change a lightbulb.  One.

What did the Poles ever do?  Growing up, one of my friends had a Tasteless Jokes book that has a whole chapter dedicated to the Polish.  I even remember one of them....why do little Polish girls put fish in their pants?  But for the life of me, I have no idea why Polish jokes even became a thing.

The Poles are an oft conquered people. I think that's where the disdain comes from. Often it was Russia, but every so often a stiff wind would blow, someone would throw a rock, and Poland would fall.

Major, believe me, if religions were as peaceful as their prophets and gods profess them to be, I'd have no problem ith it. i am atheist, but i am not militant, and do not want to bring down religion or wreck your faith, or even convince you otherwise. it is your business, and as personal a matter as can be.. 

And I do not begrudge the rank and file individuals.. There's a reason they'r called a 'flock".. and it's not got anything to do with them being dumb or timid,,  it's because they are supposed to follow and listen to their elders and priests who are supposed to be scholarly and wise enough to interpret the various teachings and texts to then pass on to their congregation the messages they contain.

the messages of peace sometimes gets lost from the higher ups to the flock. (And in some religions, this is more prevalent, to be sure.. but again, is it the religion, or the priest? A constant question that should be asked in many circumstances. in my opinion.)
Too many pervert, subvert, and convert the overall notion (that I gather) is to mean we are to be peaceful to one another, enjoy the bounty of the earth, and because of our faith, be rewarded in the end for promoting and living those ideals.

I agree with many of the ideals.. i just don't think they sprung from a supernatural source. 

too many use fear to push in the opposite direction,, and I am not even sure it's a conscious effort on the part of religious leaders to do this, but somehow portions of the flocks keep at each other's throats.

I don't believe, but if I did, i would have to surmise that what we do now in the name of God (and any name he may be given by any other religion) would sincerely piss him off. The notion of war in the name of God seems so ass-backwards to me..

But i am careful in these types of threads to not lay blame or point fingers at individuals. You for example. i have no quarrel with you or your faith. Religion as a whole.. well, i think it's responsible for a lot of ills in the world. But not you. All you can do is live your life the best way you can.

I may not respect religion as a whole, but i try my best to be respectful of other posters and their faith.

No one I know of in here is someone i'd consider a zealot or someone who has dangerous ideas when it comes to this sort of thing.

Some religious leaders i definitely respect.. the Dalai Lama, the current pope, for example..  these men are working toward peace, and that is something I devoutly believe in.

(However, in this case, i think right wing scare media has more to do with this latest example of hate than Christian preachers. Religion is the laxative making it easier to push the crap. aThe entire idea is to believe on faith, and scare media / propaganda is asking the same thing. "These people want to kill you and burn your church.. believe us!" .. because anger and hate and conflict means ratings that sells advertising.)

Peace!

~Bang

I know I'm focusing on one small part of your post, but can someone explain to me the origin of Polish jokes?  While I don't think it's good to have them around, I can understand that jokes of other ethnicities/skin colors came around out of fear or wanting to diminish someone who looked different.  I know most French or Italian jokes I've heard come from a perceived cowardice in battle.

Oh, I assume that the things start with a stereotype.

(And then the jokes kinda simply exaggerate the stereotype.)

I remember that, when I was a kid, the stereotype was that Polish were all big, strong, dummies.

Although I also remember people making comments about the Irish or Italians, that I never got, because I didn't know what the stereotypes were.

And the first time anybody told me a Jewish joke (an Israeli citizen who had fought for Israel in the Six Day War, telling me a joke about the Six Day War), he had to explain the joke to me, because I wasn't aware of the stereotype it was referencing.

If you're curious, the joke was:

Why did the Israelis win the Six Day War so quickly?

They were using rented equipment.

I know I'm focusing on one small part of your post, but can someone explain to me the origin of Polish jokes?  While I don't think it's good to have them around, I can understand that jokes of other ethnicities/skin colors came around out of fear or wanting to diminish someone who looked different. 

What did the Poles ever do?  Growing up, one of my friends had a Tasteless Jokes book that has a whole chapter dedicated to the Polish.  ...for the life of me, I have no idea why Polish jokes even became a thing.

Oh, I assume that the things start with a stereotype.

(And then the jokes kinda simply exaggerate the stereotype.)

I remember that, when I was a kid, the stereotype was that Polish were all big, strong, dummies.

I never really heard the stereotype of the Polish as dummies outside of the "Pollack" jokes themselves, so I had the same sort of bafflement as Forehead.

For a while, blonds overtook "pollacks" as the designated dumb people to build jokes around, but the jokes were usually targeted at women.

There is always a rich trove of dumb person jokes in need of a subject demographic. I would propose Trump supporters, but I'd rather not get political.

You know, it's probably millennia off, and totally unrelated to the argument, but at the rate of human reproduction, and hence, more deaths, this will eventually be an issue.  I wonder what will happen the first time town X needs to build a new set of homes to house their growing population, and the only green space left is a church graveyard.

You should visit the Paris Catacombs someday.   They are awesome.

Archived