Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC: Backlash Greets Plans for Muslim Cemeteries Across US

visionary

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/backlash-greets-plans-muslim-cemeteries-us-38649432

Backlash Greets Plans for Muslim Cemeteries Across US

On the site of a long-idle dairy farm, leaders of a local mosque hope to build a final resting place for about 500 Muslim families — to the dismay of many residents of this quaint town in central Massachusetts.

In arguments cemetery developers and activists decry as thinly veiled bigotry, neighbors say they fear burial practices could contaminate groundwater because Muslims traditionally do not embalm bodies and bury their dead without coffins. They also cite concerns about noise, vandalism and increased traffic on the narrow road where the cemetery would be built. One resident said he worried he would have to put up with "crazy music" like the Islamic call to prayer.

Similar sentiments have been expressed by people in communities around the country where Muslim cemeteries have been proposed, including Farmervsille, Texas; Walpole, Massachusetts; Carlisle, Pennsylvania; and Farmington, Minnesota.

In some cases, opponents have succeeded in defeating the new cemetery projects, while in others, Muslim groups have appealed and judges have cleared the way.

In Farmersville, near Dallas, some residents were openly hostile during meetings on a proposal to build a Muslim cemetery on a 35-acre site just outside the city. Farmersville is not far from Garland, where police fatally shot two Islamic State followers last year after they opened fire outside a cartoon contest lampooning the Prophet Muhammad.

"People don't trust Muslims. Their goal is to populate the United States and take it over," Barbara Ashcraft said during a meeting in August.

"You're not welcome here!" another man yelled, according to news accounts.

City leaders were so bombarded with complaints that they published an informational guide on the city's website, assuring residents that there is "no training facility planned for this site ... no terrorist activity associated with this site ... no plans for a mosque at this site."

Oh you didn't know? The simple man no longer has a voice in this country. We must abide by the strictest of political correctness or you're a bigot.

I'm trying to understand whether your post was in reply to mine or not, but I was being sarcastic.

Assuming that the claims about tainting the water supply are scientifically invalid, there's no real way to see this other than bigotry. That would be true even if the article hadn't cherry-picked quotes to make the locals sound like idiots (though clearly it did).

@ dfitz. Not responding to anyone in general. Just tired of the fact that every week now we have to cater to every group's request/needs.

Yeah. **** those Muslims, amirite? Make 'em build a nice Christian cemetery and erect crosses over each grave.

Yeah. **** those Muslims, amirite? Make 'em build a nice Christian cemetery and erect crosses over each grave.

Don't be so anti-PC. You have to respect the sensitivities of people like him who are scared of ebil immigrants taking up precious burial space. 

@ dfitz. Not responding to anyone in general. Just tired of the fact that every week now we have to cater to every group's request/needs.

Yeah, it really sucks, the way we have to cater to people.

I mean, first it's people who want to pee. Then, before you know it, it's dead people who want to be buried.

I'm not speaking for either side. Again, just tired of the political correctness.

Meanwhile you guys sit their 100's or 1000's of miles away and angry at this group when really it's none of your ****ing business. It doesn't affect any of us on here.

...taking up precious burial space. 

You know, it's probably millennia off, and totally unrelated to the argument, but at the rate of human reproduction, and hence, more deaths, this will eventually be an issue.  I wonder what will happen the first time town X needs to build a new set of homes to house their growing population, and the only green space left is a church graveyard.

Meanwhile you guys sit their 100's or 1000's of miles away and angry at this group when really it's none of your ****ing business. It doesn't affect any of us on here.

i think you're wrong.

Stopping thinly veiled (or not) bigotry should absolutely be all of our ****ing business and bigotry that happens in bum**** Massachusetts can spread like wildfire. It needs to be snuffed out before it happens. And that's not political correctness. That's common ****ing human decency.

I feel the same way about those Westboro ****ers who protest at funerals. They need to eat a **** sandwich. 

I'm not speaking for either side. Again, just tired of the political correctness.

Damn, now you guys made him upset :(

Archived