Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: GUNS N’ ROSES ANNOUNCES 2016 “NOT IN THIS LIFETIME” TOUR WITH STOP AT FEDEXFIELD

TK

Well, technically, neither did Nirvana, as they were predated by Alice in Chains. But Nirvana was the one that brought it into the Spotlight with Smells Like Teen Spirit and Nevermind (the album of the 90's). I still remember the 1991 Video Music Awards--back when MTV still had some relevance. GnR played November Rain with a full symphony orchestra. I thought it was fantastic, and was shocked when all people were talking about the next day was Nirvana and the Chili Pepper performances, and how people went crazy for them. The 80's hair metal died that night, but I digress

I would say that Appetite for Destruction was the album of the 80's. Prior to GnR, you had Motley Crue, and that was about it--a bunch of poser bands and Ronnie James Dio. GnR may not have created the genre, but they sure perfected it. Paradise City still kicks all kinds of ass.

good stuff ... didn't realize the timing of Nirvana and the Seattle grunge explosion.  They still were pretty much one of the first bands on that scene though right?? 

One thing that also I think solidified GnR was their ability to strip down and do acoustic stuff ... none of the other bands, again could be wrong, committed to that like them.  Very Zeppelin-esque in that regard. 

Archived