Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per WaPost: Netflix throttling video speeds

Popeman38

https://twitter.com/theswitch/status/713193207111229440

Remember when Netflix put in the full court press against Verizon, saying they were failing to deliver what their customers were paying for? Yeah, that argument is officially OVER now.

http://wapo.st/1WMTV5Z?tid=ss_tw-bottom

Netflix has long presented itself as a champion of unfettered access to Internet content. But those claims are ringing a little hollow after the company admitted Thursday that it deliberately slows down its streams for customers watching on the cellular networks of AT&T and Verizon.

There's a large difference between Verizon wireless and Verizon Fios.

And that gotcha title. Netflix's "stunning admission". Get out of here with that trash. Learn how to properly title an article WaPo. You'd think that one of the most well known national newspapers still has some sort of journalistic integrity.

I wish that these video service providers would stop streaming on-demand and download/store content.  All of the devices like Roku, etc. have easily expanded storage ($10 per 64 gigs) and it seems trivial in my mind that I could give up some partition of a hard-drive on the device, let them have complete control so that I can't digitally rip the files. 

There's a large difference between Verizon wireless and Verizon Fios.

And that gotcha title. Netflix's "stunning admission". Get out of here with that trash. Learn how to properly title an article WaPo. You'd think that one of the most well known national newspapers still has some sort of journalistic integrity.

I thought Internet was Internet? And if you accuse a carrier of throttling, you can't turn around and throttle. I don't care what medium you are using.

And Netflix basically capitulated in the earlier issue as they paid Verizon and Comcast for more connectivity.

It would be nice if HD were actually HD while we are batching about this stuff

I'm actually thinking about buying an antenna so at least I can watch local channels in HD

BTW I have Charter and it seems okay but not great at peak times

I thought Internet was Internet? And if you accuse a carrier of throttling, you can't turn around and throttle. I don't care what medium you are using.

And Netflix basically capitulated in the earlier issue as they paid Verizon and Comcast for more connectivity.

This whole subject, according to the article, deals with streaming to wireless devices. This isn't your home network, it's not your PS4, XBox, Roku, Apple TV, Smart TV, etc. This is your wireless phone provider, which is likely ATT, Verizon, Sprint or T Mobile and your iPhone or Android.

It would seem, since every single carrier has data caps, that Netflix chose to throttle the streaming capability to those wireless carriers (really, the devices using them). It seems to me that Netflix did this to benefit both the user and the network using their service. Wireless networks are the most congested as it stands right now, seeing as how all the major carriers have put caps on data. There are no caps on home broadband use (not yet at least, the greedy ****s). So, Netflix seems to be making an attempt at conserving its subscribers data usage as well as freeing up space in the spectrum for more data to be transmitted.

As an aside. You probably wouldn't even notice the degradation in quality on your cell phone since the screen is too small

To make out the difference between 1080p and a lower resolution. Your phone doesn't have 5.1 Dolby capability, so why send anything other than 2 channels of audio.

In short, this seems like a big stink about nothing.

This whole subject, according to the article, deals with streaming to wireless devices. This isn't your home network, it's not your PS4, XBox, Roku, Apple TV, Smart TV, etc. This is your wireless phone provider, which is likely ATT, Verizon, Sprint or T Mobile and your iPhone or Android.

It would seem, since every single carrier has data caps, that Netflix chose to throttle the streaming capability to those wireless carriers (really, the devices using them). It seems to me that Netflix did this to benefit both the user and the network using their service. Wireless networks are the most congested as it stands right now, seeing as how all the major carriers have put caps on data. There are no caps on home broadband use (not yet at least, the greedy ****s). So, Netflix seems to be making an attempt at conserving its subscribers data usage as well as freeing up space in the spectrum for more data to be transmitted.

As an aside. You probably wouldn't even notice the degradation in quality on your cell phone since the screen is too small

To make out the difference between 1080p and a lower resolution. Your phone doesn't have 5.1 Dolby capability, so why send anything other than 2 channels of audio.

In short, this seems like a big stink about nothing.

So basically the ISP is the big bad boogie man and the content provider is the nice grandma looking out for your best interest? If you are paying for streaming services from Netflix and they intentionally slow the stream down, how are they not doing exactly what they accused the ISPs of doing last year?

You aren't getting what you paid for. That was the entire point Netflix made.

And I seem to remember some outrage when wireless carriers throttled users after a certain point. Why is Netflix exempt from criticism?

ISPs more or less function as infrastructure, at least in part because they've fought so hard to keep competition to a minimum, speed slow, and prices high.  So fair or not they aren't the same as individual businesses online.  They facilitate business and as such they should be regulated differently.

As a consumer I don't want my internet access to become a TV contract where I get the joy of buying service packages in order to access different web services.  This reminds me of when Verizon wireless would get cell phone manufacturers to disable standard features on their phones so that Verizon could charge customers extra to unlock them.  Costs added for no additional value.  As a consumer I have no incentive to support a change in the rules to allow ISPs to charge me more and adding nothing. 

Still the best bargain on TV. Quite happy to hand them my 8 bucks each month.

Frankly, as Springfield said, i doubt anyone could even recognize the problem except maybe Supergeeks .. who, while technically may be correct, tend to scream for the attention.
comicbookguy.jpg
HellOoo! The degree of pixelation on my new 4 inch screen telephone makes it appear as if the dragon's scales are NOT shimmering as if made of sunlit golden waters as promised in the 9 part book series!

~Bang

So basically the ISP is the big bad boogie man and the content provider is the nice grandma looking out for your best interest? If you are paying for streaming services from Netflix and they intentionally slow the stream down, how are they not doing exactly what they accused the ISPs of doing last year?

And I seem to remember some outrage when wireless carriers throttled users after a certain point. Why is Netflix exempt from criticism?

But there haven't been large scale complaints by people who have had poor Netflix streaming on their mobile devices while using wireless data.

That's either because (1) it is t a popular way to view Netflix or (2) throttling cellular devices doesn't have a large impact on the quality of stream.

When did this start? I've been noticing a major difference over the last week (AT&T).

Also, real quick while I'm here, Internet: Comcast or a Verizon? I'm moving in a week and trying to get it set up. What's the better option?

Make sure FIOS is available before you opt for Verizon. If not Comcast will almost certainly have higher speeds.

Make sure FIOS is available before you opt for Verizon. If not Comcast will almost certainly have higher speeds.

This. Comcast is highest rated national isp for speedtests across all carriers. But if you separate fios from regular Verizon, it's fios.

We don't have fios here, i have comcast. My speeds are 170+

HellOoo! The degree of pixelation on my new 4 inch screen telephone makes it appear as if the dragon's scales are NOT shimmering as if made of sunlit golden waters as promised in the 9 part book series!

I read this in comic book guy's voice.  I am happy now.

HAving been in the comics business back in the 80s and 90s, i can tell you,   Comic Book Guy is THE most accurate character on that show, and that show is loaded with great accurate characters.

I knew SO many guys like him.. he cracks me up.

Moons of Xanthor!

~Bang

Hypocrites?  Sure they are.  But do you really care about them throttling speeds to your wireless carrier where you would be watching it on your cell phone over 3G or 4G?

Come on now.  I would imagine that most people that would stream that much Netflix on their cell phones would do most of that through wifi, where no throttling occurs.  And anyone that would get ticked off about the "quality" of Netflix streamed over a cell phone screen is just looking to argue.  

Netflix streaming quality.........on their cell phone.........on a 4G network...............

#firstworldproblems

Edit:  and back in 2011 when I had 3 months downtime at work, I streamed a lot of Netflix over 3G w/Verizon on my old iPhone 4.  Screens are so small that it doesn't even need to be HD quality feeds.

Still the best bargain on TV. Quite happy to hand them my 8 bucks each month.

Frankly, as Springfield said, i doubt anyone could even recognize the problem except maybe Supergeeks .. who, while technically may be correct, tend to scream for the attention.

~Bang

Archived