Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Make your all time album, track by track

Spaceman Spiff

I think this was posted a few years ago but I can't find it.  

Anyway, the goal is to make the best album you can using only the same track number from the album it comes from.  For example, you can only pick "Welcome to the Jungle" from Appetite For Destruction and put it on your album first because it's the first track on the album it comes from.  If you were to go with that song, you couldn't go with "Smells Like Teen Spirit" anywhere else on your album because it's also the first song from Nevermind.  

Probably easier to list your 10-20 different songs and they all have to be by different artists. But, heck, I'll play a 10-song album.  And this is just going by Wikipedia.....if its the second song of the flip side of the album and the first side had five songs, the song is considered to be the seventh track (that's for us folks still in the vinyl era, and just looked on Wiki). Not necessarily my all-time favorites, but songs I like, albeit sappy:

1) Harder to Breathe (Maroon 5), first track, Songs About Jane

2) Jukebox Hero (Foreigner), second track, 4

3) Isn't It Time (Baby's), third track, Broken Heart

4) My Friends (RHCP), fourth track, One Hot Minute

5) Angie (Rolling Stones), fifth track, Goats Head Soup

6) Victim of Love (Eagles), sixth track, Hotel California

7) Speed of Sound (Coldplay), seventh track, X&Y

8) Happiness is a Warm Gun (Beatles), eighth track, White Album

9) Another Tricky Day (Who), ninth track, Face Dances

10) Captain Jack (Billy Joel), tenth track, Piano Man

1. **** Don't Kill My Vibe

2. Eminence Front

3. November Rain

4. Aquemini

5. Smack My **** Up

6. In Da Club

7. Hypnotize

8. Closer (Nine Inch Nails)

9. Killing in the Name

10. What I Got

11. Sunshine Of Your Love

12. Possum Kingdom

13. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

14. Smooth Criminal

15. Protect Ya Neck

16. Gin and Juice

17. Nookie

18. Black Dog

19. Tonight Tonight

20. Love, Reign O'er Me

*This might be a double album

Edit: I didn't read the instructions damn. I'll have to go back and look again. That will take some time for sure.

Seeing how varied everyone's choices are so far, I'm going to have to really dig & think on this. I had my first record player at 5, a cassette player *with 2 Partridge Family tapes* for my 5th Christmas, I've got a long life of stuff to go through. My brother moved back home with Steppenwolf & Aretha Franklin 8-tracks, I was already playing my dad's Beatles & Andy Williams albums.
I think the double-album thing might have to be our go-to?? :P

Let's do a Metal mixtape supreme!

1. Fight Fire with Fire - Metallice RTL

2. Arrival - King Diamond Abigail

3. Sea of Madness - Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time

4. The Sentinel - Judas Priest Defenders

5. Zero the Hero - Black Sabbath Born Again

6. Bad Omen - Megadeth Peace Sells

7. The Fault of the Flesh - Nevermore Dreaming Neon Black

8. Diary of a Madman - Ozzy DOTM

9. Animal Magnetism - Scorpions AM

10. Death Certificate - Carcass Heartwork

11. Fall of Sipledome - Testament The Gathering

12. Bury Me in Smoke - Down Nola

This mix would destroy all posers!! Death to false metal.

This is going to be tough, not just picking out what songs, but the fact that I have no idea the track listings anymore on the majority of stuff I listen to.

The other problem is that the record companies have put out so many rehashes of the same songs over the years (greatest hits, complete hits, ultimate collection, etc, live in paris, etc) that you could probably have the same song fit into multiple track numbers.  Here's an example-- someone mentioned Captain Jack by Billy Joel:

Track 10 on his Piano Man album (1973)

Track 8 on Songs in the Attic (1981)

Track 2 on Greatest Hits Volume I (1983) [but only the CD version]

Track 3 on Essential Billy Joel (2008)

Track 1 (on disc 2) of Live at Shea Stadium (2009)

Obviously with this example, the Piano Man album is the only real full studio album of the bunch, but if you go back to some older artists it was pretty common to mix and match songs onto new albums so its not as clearcut as to which album a song really "belongs" to (i.e. it might've appeared on one album but really gained fame on another).

This is very hard. This is going to be a totally incoherent album, but here is my indie rock/blues rock/post punk abomination.

Track 1 - Whatever Happened - The Strokes - Room on Fire

Track 2 - Manana - Desaparecidos - Read Music/Speak Spanish

Track 3 - No Future Part Three: Escape From No Future - Titus Andronicus - The Monitor

Track 4 - The Getaway - Pretty Girls Make Graves - Good Health

Track 5 - She's Long Gone - Black Keys - Brothers

Track 6 - Real Desire - Dan Auerbach - Keep It Hid

Track 7 - Lemonworld - The National - High Violet

Track 8 - Ball and Biscuit - The White Stripes - Elephant

Track 9 - Nothing Ever Happened - Deerhunter - Microcastle

Track 10 - Letterbomb - Green Day - American Idiot

Track 11 - Year of the Tiger - St Vincent - Strange Mercy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XCG1inxGfM

Track 12 - Source Tags & Codes - ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivKAjFcaL0Y

Track 13 - A Certain Romance - Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUGzWETn1HQ

I'm keeping Bowie and the Beatles off this, because otherwise it might just end up being a Bowie/Beatles tracklist based on the strength of their collections.  Nothing live which screwed out Clapton.  I'm keeping it personal so trying to avoid general classics.

These are all songs that I've had runs with listening to repeatedly in various points of my life starting as early as preschool on cassette tapes and define my taste in music overall (80s/90s british/euro stuff).  I also restricted it to 1 song per group to give more variety (and hilarity). Some numbers ended up being rather tough, did a lot of rearranging of groups and choices.  Many of these are not my favorite song by them necessarily, but these are all good enough to make the grade given the slot choices.

1 Shattered Dreams - Johnny Hates Jazz - Turn Back the Clock

2 Overnite - Scritti Politti - Provision

3 Dreaming In Colour - The Art of Noise - The Seduction of Claude Debussy

4 Mother's Talk - Tears for Fears - Songs From the Big Chair

5 Pearl's Girl - Underworld - Second Toughest in the Infants

6 Vertigo (Do the Demolition) - Duran Duran - Notorious

7 Stripped - Depeche Mode - Black Celebration

8 Love Is Reason - A-ha - Hunting High and Low

9 True to Life - Roxy Music - Avalon

10 What You Want - My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

11 This Time - The Verve - Urban Hymns

Limiting myself to only one track per artist...had to dip into a Greatest hits album to complete lol:

1 - Dead In Love, Desert Sessions

2 - That's The Way Of The World, Earth Wind & Fire

3 - Housequake, Prince

4 - Don't Dream It's Over, Crowded House

5 - Higher Ground, Stevie Wonder

6 - Flashlight, Parliament/Funkadelic

7 - If You Could Read My Mind, Gordon Lightfoot

8 - Firestarter, The Prodigy

9 - Hot Fun In The Summertime, Sly & The Family Stone

10 - Frankenstein, Edgar Winter Group

11 - Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen

Led Zeppelin IV

Boom. done.

i'd only swap out 'battle' with 'thank you' and 'four sticks' with 'kashmir' (or 'all of my love'). i wouldnt swap out 'misty' but if i did, itd be for 'your time is gonna come', cuz its just that good.

;)

love the music threads. its always nice to see some songs or artists you havent heard in while while thinking 'oh, wow, somebody else likes the same weird **** that i do'.

This is very hard. This is going to be a totally incoherent album, but here is my indie rock/blues rock/post punk abomination.

Track 1 - Whatever Happened - The Strokes - Room on Fire

Nice list, I'd take Is This It or You Only Live Once over that for Strokes intro tracks.

Seems like the threads where someone posts multiple youtube videos of songs and such, like the Friday Night Music thread, when I'm on my phone, the page never loads or always has trouble.  Steve posting all those albums in youtube form forced me to go to my PC just to follow along.  Guess I better upgrade my phone. Ha-ha.

Seems like the threads where someone posts multiple youtube videos of songs and such, like the Friday Night Music thread, when I'm on my phone, the page never loads or always has trouble. Steve posting all those albums in youtube form forced me to go to my PC just to follow along. Guess I better upgrade my phone. Ha-ha.

Same here. Wish the Friday Night Music Thread only had the links, instead of the vids being embedded. Even this page takes 20 seconds to load on my phone, even booted me out of the browser once.

Nice list, I'd take Is This It or You Only Live Once over that for Strokes intro tracks.

I could go for Is This It.  I've actually never heard First Impressions of Earth before.  I saw the bad reviews and I could never bring myself to listen to it.  One of the saddest things to me is when a truly great artist loses it.  I just want to preserve the Strokes in their glory in my mind.

I ended up picking Whatever Happened as my Strokes song even though it's not my favorite because I was having trouble finding a worthy intro track.  Seems like most indie/post punk albums don't get going until track #2.  I wanted to include a song from Room on Fire or Is This It, and I found good songs from other bands at the spots #2, 4 & 5 of my actual favorite Strokes songs, Modern Age, Reptilia, and Barely Legal.  So that was my only real choice.

I love the song though.  I like the tension it establishes in the opening measures and first chorus and I like the way it gets released in that first soaring, dueling guitars style bridge.  The song is a study in building and releasing tension by sustaining notes diminuendo for what feels like an overlong amount of measures and then using a pause and coming back in forte.

I had a really hard time narrowing down my choices for tracks 2-5.  Also could have put like three or four Titus Andronicus songs on there.  I also wanted to put songs by Cursive and Say Anything on there but there was a log jam.

Doing this took me right back to High School and my first two years of college.  If not for the invention of the Ipod, I'd have worn all of these albums out.

I could go for Is This It. I've actually never heard First Impressions of Earth before. I saw the bad reviews and I could never bring myself to listen to it. One of the saddest things to me is when a truly great artist loses it. I just want to preserve the Strokes in their glory in my mind.

Sort of how I felt about REM, u2 and Metallica in their early days..... So good.

Then, wtf?

Sad.

I could go for Is This It.  I've actually never heard First Impressions of Earth before.  I saw the bad reviews and I could never bring myself to listen to it.  One of the saddest things to me is when a truly great artist loses it.  I just want to preserve the Strokes in their glory in my mind.

There's a lot of filler on FIOE but the singles, Juicebox, YOLO and Heart in a Cage are great songs. I think YOLO is one of their 10 best tracks.

1. Good Times Roll, Cars, Cars

2. Dogs, Pink Floyd, Animals

3. Battle of Evermore, Led Zeppelin, IV

4. Walk this Way, Aerosmith, Toys in the Attic

5. Bad Company, Bad Company, Bad Company

6. The Unknown Soldier, The Doors, Waiting for the Sun

7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Beatles, White Album

8. Monkey Man, Rolling Stones, Let It Bleed

9. Ziggy Stardust, David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust

10. 40, U2, War

11. Under the Bridge, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blood Sugar Sex Magik

12. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Black Sabbath, We Sold Our Soul for Rock n' Roll

13. Pinball Wizard, The Who, Tommy

14. Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting, Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

15. All Along the Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland

Archived