Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX: Splenda ingredient, sucralose, linked to leukemia

China

Splenda ingredient, sucralose, linked to leukemia

(FOX 13) - New research shows the main ingredient in the artificial sweetener Splenda, called sucralose, has been linked to leukemia.

Italian researchers published their findings in the January edition of the International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health.

The study found "significant dose-related increased indicence of males bearing malignant tumors" and a "significant dose-related increased incidence of hematopoietic neoplasias in males" after being fed high amounts of sucralose for their lifespan.

Click on the link for the full article

that's crazy. I never drank much diet soda. But I've had regular stuff like iced teas or gingerale that had sucralose in it. I know because some of those soft drinks would make me nauseated and sucralose always seemed to be an ingredient when it made me dizzy.

Guys, I think you'd be surprised to learn what all has sucralose in it. Not just limited to diet sodas. 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/12/03/sucralose-products.aspx

Anything that requires sweetener, but markets as nutritional, low-carb, etc. there's a good bet sucralose is in it. The study at least says high amount over a lifetime, so an occasional usage is likely ok, even though this stuff isn't great for your digestive system anyway.

I was surprised to find the Gold Standard protein powder I used had it in it. So switched to MetRx Natural whey which uses stevia.

Guys, I think you'd be surprised to learn what all has sucralose in it. Not just limited to diet sodas. 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/12/03/sucralose-products.aspx

Anything that requires sweetener, but markets as nutritional, low-carb, etc. there's a good bet sucralose is in it. The study at least says high amount over a lifetime, so an occasional usage is likely ok, even though this stuff isn't great for your digestive system anyway.

I was surprised to find the Gold Standard protein powder I used had it in it. So switched to MetRx Natural whey which uses stevia.

Outside of some Diet Rite colas and some Diet Cokes w/splenda, we never really used it that much.  Wife made a peanut butter pie with splenda years ago, but it's not like we ate that but a few times a year.  It's been at least 4 - 5 years since that.

I literally haven't eaten anything on that list.  Article did say over a lifetime and I read that the rats they tested this on, were given 4 times the recommended amounts.  

I don't think it should make anyone panic, but just be aware that it's not good for you and to cut it back or out if you haven't already done so.

It's mice.  You feed enough of almost anything to mice for long enough, they're bound to get something.

Some quick math suggest that they are feeding more sucralose to the mice then you'd get if you only drank diet Coke with Splenda.

I don't drink diet soda or use anything with artificial sweetener, but I'd be more worried about my microbiome than getting Leukemia.

There are good reasons to not drink any soda, including diet soda and generally not to use artificial sweetners, but I'm not sure this is one of them.

What about saccharin?  Heard that was bad too.  Is there such thing as an artificial sweetener that isn't linking to cancer?

Saccharin is an excelent example of what I'm talking about.  If you feed rats high levels of saccharin for a long time, they will get cancer.

But it doesn't seem to be at all relevant to people at the levels we consume it.

"In the 1970s, studies performed on laboratory rats found an association between consumption of high doses of saccharin and the development of bladder cancer.%5B8%5D However, further study determined that this effect was due to a mechanism that is not relevant to humans.%5B8%5D Epidemiological studies have shown no evidence that saccharin is associated with bladder cancer in humans.%5B8%5D The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) originally classified saccharin in Group 2B ("possibly carcinogenic to humans") based on the rat studies, but downgraded it to Group 3 ("not classifiable as to the carcinogenicity to humans") upon review of the subsequent research."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin#Safety_and_health_effects

(but again, I'm not suggesting anybody use any artificial sweetner.)

I use 3-4 packets a day. (Coffee)

Wonder if that's in the danger zone? Don't drink soda anymore.

Thanks for the heads up on the Gold Standard whey Elk. Have a 5lb tub sitting at home.

How's the chocolate taste?

Double choc. gold standard was good. MetRX natural whey chocolate flavor is good. They have vanilla too but I haven't tried it yet. Reviews aren't as good on vanilla as they are chocolate. It's likely not horrible levels of sucralose, but I use the stuff most every day and the MetRx tub is $12 or so cheaper and ingredients rated well so easy call to switch.

Be wary of anything you read that comes from Mercola. He's notorious for fear mongering and considered a quack among the scientific community and has been debunked numerous times. I'm not saying everything he's ever published is wrong, but I would suggest finding a second opinion.

I still think aspartame is much worse. Lots of studies showing potential links with neurological disorders as well as cancers.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Be wary of anything you read that comes from Mercola. He's notorious for fear mongering and considered a quack among the scientific community and has been debunked numerous times. I'm not saying everything he's ever published is wrong, but I would suggest finding a second opinion.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Honestly I just googled "list of products with sucralose" and that was one of the first links to pop up that had a long list. No idea who he is. I learned long ago that a significant portion of the medical alarmists are quacks. I do try to limit ingredients I eat to being as natural as possible, such as natural peanut butter and now this new whey, but I don't freak over gluten, or sucralose, etc., I just seek to limit my intake when it comes to things I eat every day. Heck, I just get regular chicken at the store, no organic, costs too much and regular is fine.

I dislike metrx whey powder, didn't mix well imo. Best tasting whey powder I had was isopure, but it contains sucralose.

This MetRx was my first time, came up when searching for powders w/o sucralose (most seem to have it). I have noticed also it is tougher to mix. I have a brita filter on my water faucet and it sends water out pretty fast and in a smaller, concentrated stream and that has helped. I also put it in a shaker and shake pretty rigorously. I still have some clumps though after all that, but it's worth it (plus Gold Standard tended to clump a bit too so I was used to it). Isopure is good stuff too in terms of quality of ingredients according to what I've read. They may have a natural brand too since many wheys are starting to do that now. Gold Standard has one but it is expensive and MetRx is quality ingredients also and better cost. 

Ironically At some point North Korea is going to have the healthiest population in the planet

Grass has very few carcinogens, particularly when used as the main ingredient in rainwater stew.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/12/world/asia/north-korea-we-rarely-see/

"To survive, I had to eat grass. People pick grass and leaves and use them to make soup," said the defector who now lives in South Korea. Reports out of North Korea suggest food prices have tripled in the past year.

Edit: Seriously, this is sad. But we really just need to leave Kim Jung Il alone, because that country has the same rights to nuclear weapons that we do. Who are we to say no, right?

I barely ever use the stuff. Cane sugar can cause arthritis  inflammation (does with me), Splenda causes leukemia, God know what aspartame does.

I use Stevia in the Raw.

The molecules in stevia have been found to be mutagenic when feed to rats are large concentrations for long times too.

I am always wary of these studies. I remember one in which another artificial sweetner was linked to cancer. Reading a little deeper into the study, it was discovered they gave the lab mice the equivalent of 20 pounds of the sweetner in one dosing. 

This one may be accurate, but you have to read the study to assess what it really says and if what the results indicate is really valid.

Archived