Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Giants...lol

BornaSkinsFan83

Eli Manning and Giants equipment manager in scam to sell fake memorabilia.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-eli-manning-teamed-giants-equipment-manager-memorabilia-scam-220248847.html

Three memorabilia dealers are suing Manning, Skiba, the Giants, team owner John Mara and others in the case. The emails were filed on Tuesday at Bergen County (N.J.) Superior Court.

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Eli Manning and Giants equipment manager in scam to sell fake memorabilia.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-eli-manning-teamed-giants-equipment-manager-memorabilia-scam-220248847.html

Three memorabilia dealers are suing Manning, Skiba, the Giants, team owner John Mara and others in the case. The emails were filed on Tuesday at Bergen County (N.J.) Superior Court.

I think this violates the spirit of the media/fan relations that teams and players are required to take part in.  The Giants should be fined $36 million over the next two years in cap space and lose a few draft picks in the process.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 2:05 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

Watch this bull**** disappear into the ether after a couple days, like every other shady ass thing they do

Well, you nailed it.  I just did a search and the most recent article was April 14th.

Swept under the rug.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, China said:

Well, you nailed it.  I just did a search and the most recent article was April 14th.

Swept under the rug.

Swept under the rug, and any discussion amongst the media concerning it boiled down to "Why should we even care?"

Unbelieveable

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2017 at 4:41 PM, China said:

Swept under the rug.

There were articles out there dated 4/26.  Here is one of them.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/04/eli_manning_giants_fight_back_with_new_emails_in_m.html

Read another that the trial isn't until September anyhow, so I wouldn't call this sweeping anything under the rug.  Sept. is still 4 months away and I'm sure it will resurface closer to the trial date.  As much as I hate Eli and the Giants, I really don't think they will find him guilty of any wrong doing.  The other guys (equip mgr, the dry cleaner guy) maybe, if it can be proven they delivered fake merchandise to Eli who then gave it to Steiner Sports.

And he provided more emails (says that in the article I posted the link to above) of conversations with those involved, those have just not been released to the public yet.  Sounds like he is cooperating and has nothing to hide.  

For arguments sake, let's say they find solid evidence that links him directly to committing fraud and selling fake merchandise.  I'm guessing that he would get off with paying them back and stiff penalties/fines.  Then would come NFL punishment.........1 or 2 game suspension maybe?  The integrity of the NFL is on the line, but this is not something you see happen.  It's a non-violent crime, it's not anything drug/alcohol related, assault, domestic violence, etc.  It's not anything that changed the outcome of games and is off the field.  

I would think that if you suspended him it could only be for 2 games max and maybe take away draft picks and levy a huge fine to the Giants organization.

Last year the NFL basically did time to try to cover up their ****ing kicker's domestic violence. The Kicker. Kicker. Ki. Ck. Er. Beating his ****ing wife. The guy who kicks the ball. I mean... 

For Eli? Ha. If it meant they could sweep it under the rug in the ensuing chaos and confusion, it's probably even money that Goodell would light himself on fire while announcing the first pick. 

Edit: i originally started to edit this to say "the Giants ****ing kicker" in that first sentence, but then I thought "Giants kicker, NFL's kicker, same ****ing difference."

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This Washington Post article lays out the whole Giants memorabilia scandal in great detail.  A memorabilia collector had an arrangement with team equipment managers and the New Jersey laundromat the team used to clean the uniforms to get game worn stuff.  He has pretty solid evidence that Eli Manning faked game worn stuff.  A rookie year helmet.  Even a helmet sent to the Hall of Fame along with David Tyree's, supposedly the one he wore during  Tyree's "Helmet Catch" Super Bowl, looks to be a fake - scuffed up by equipment managers to look like a game worn helmet.

Worth a read:

Dirty laundry: Eli Manning, the Giants and a legal battle over game-worn memorabilia

by Will Hobson

The helmet is the trademark metallic blue of the New York Giants, and Eli Manning’s autograph stretches across the top in silver. Next to the “ny” logo are two words, also in silver, that increase the helmet’s value exponentially: “Game Used.” 

The helmet dates from 2004 — Manning’s rookie season — according to the auction house that listed it for sale years later with a description that dangled the possibility this could be the first helmet Manning wore during an NFL game.

helmetscompared1200.jpg?uuid=tqmTylt_Eee

The helmet bore the scars of game action — nicks on the dome, scuffing on the pads — and came with a letter of authenticity from the respected memorabilia company that has a contract to sell Manning’s game-worn items. A collector says he bought it in 2015 for $5,000 cash and two Michael Jordan rookie cards.

There’s just one problem: the helmet, as billed, is a fake, according to a prolific collector the Giants once called the team’s “memorabilia curator.” While the autograph might be real, Manning couldn’t have worn the helmet in 2004, according to the collector, who points to a telltale sign: It’s missing a black “RB” sticker that all Giants helmets had that season in memory of Roosevelt Brown, a 1950s-era offensive lineman who died that year.

The helmet is a piece of evidence in an acrimonious legal battle between Eric Inselberg, a 46-year-old sports memorabilia dealer from New Jersey, and the football team he once loved. The case has created three years of headaches and tabloid headlines for Manning and the Giants while drawing attention to the unregulated, billion-dollar industry of game-worn collectibles, a marketplace rife with fraud in which aspects buyers generally don’t look for in expensive clothing purchases — mud smears, bloodstains, the stench of sweat — can drive prices into the tens of thousands.

As [memorabilia collector] Inselberg grew close to the [Giants equipment managers] Skibas brothers, he alleges in his complaint, they let him in on a secret: They occasionally doctored helmets and jerseys to appear game-worn. Manning, like some star athletes, had a contract to provide game-worn items to New York memorabilia company Steiner Sports, famous for the motto: “The Steiner Seal Means It’s Real.” Manning sometimes forgot to save items during the season, the Skibas told Inselberg, or simply didn’t want to part with them, the complaint alleges, so the star quarterback asked the Skibas to “make up” some game-worn helmets or jerseys for him.

Rest of article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/dirty-laundry-eli-manning-the-giants-and-a-legal-battle-over-game-worn-memorabilia/2017/06/28/8fa54456-5074-11e7-be25-3a519335381c_story.html?utm_term=.6677cbbeb650

----

The collector, Inselberg, has filed a lawsuit against the Giants.  The judge in the case is a Giants season ticket holder who has refused to recuse himself from the case.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1

The Post article is a great read.  Gotta love a guy denying he sold any team stuff and then they produce signed checks (....that's plural) the guy cashed from the guy he denies selling stuff to...LOL....I can't make stuff up this good.

“Skiba has never provided a piece of game used equipment to Inselberg,” the FBI agent wrote in his summary of the interview, made public as evidence in this case. “Skiba does not know why Inselberg would say such a thing because it is not true.”

A few days later — in a phone interview from the Giants’ stadium — Ed Skiba also denied selling items to Inselberg, FBI records show. For his FBI interview, Ed Skiba was joined by Giants general counsel Bill Heller.

The FBI agent then asked Ed Skiba about some evidence he had come across: signed checks — from Inselberg, cashed by Skiba — with the words “Footballs, Giants jerseys and Tiki” in the memo line.

...anyways, can't wait for the trial....:giantssuck:.......hope they lose a draft pick......

“I hate it here,” Joe texted. “Guys who mow the lawn make more.”

“Are (sic) raises are because they are paying our legal fees,” Ed texted. “Funny 3 years probation and now it’s more.”

Joe Skiba replied that he was considering approaching Giants management to demand overtime, “Cause my insights on the case cost money now.”

Later in the exchange, Ed Skiba told his brother, “Not even worth it.”

“For me it is,” Joe Skiba replied. “I’ll tell the whole f------ world the truth.”

We play the Giants on Thanksgiving, be sure to ask all the people at FedEx wearing an Eli jersey if they want to buy a game used ELI helmet, 'cause you got a couple in the trunk of your car that you're willing to give them a deal on......

• Like 1

If Eli doesn't suck, that's a damn good football team.  Getting ready for fantasy football looking at their receiver core, and realizing all Eli has to do is not F this up and they are at minimum a playoff team.  I have mad respect for their defense, total 180 in one season.  Wish we could do that, I'm still waiting.

43 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If Eli doesn't suck, that's a damn good football team.  Getting ready for fantasy football looking at their receiver core, and realizing all Eli has to do is not F this up and they are at minimum a playoff team.  I have mad respect for their defense, total 180 in one season.  Wish we could do that, I'm still waiting.

Agreed. They're going to do some good things unfortunately...if we're any good next season, it could come down to us, the Giants and the cowboys. Although Eagles with Carson wentz in his second season....this division could be nasty. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2017 at 10:10 PM, Renegade7 said:

Honestly, I don't know about that.  I ****ing HATE the gotdamn Giants (full disclosure) with a passion, so I could be biased here.

But I really don't get why everybody's ridin' their jock.  From my vantage point, they have a glaring hole at Left Tackle and Tailback.

That translates into them throwing 30+ times a game.  With no Left Tackle??  Not only is that a recipe for some serious mischief, but that jeopardizes the nerd's health over the course of the season.

Why should they get the benefit of the doubt?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

What sucks is that we didn't get to play them during this streak. We could end up being their "get right" game like has happened many times before.

We play them in the season finale. Their lockers will be emptied by then. Our home game against them is on Thanksgiving though so who knows.

If we don't sweep them this year I'd be disappointed.

• Like 2