Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

2 hours ago, Larry said:

BTW, I observe that Disney+ has all the movies (except 9). But they're calling Star Wars "A New Hope". 

They rebranded it A new hope years ago. It’s a new 4K transfer as well and currently only place to watch the first 6 in 4K. They also changed the Greedo cantina scene. In this one they shoot simultaneously. I don’t think they can show the last Jedi until next spring due to the Netflix deal.

26 minutes ago, Larry said:

Watching The Mandalorian.  (Just finished Ep 3).  

And I keep getting struck by how much I think his voice sounds like Clint Eastwood in the "man with no name" trilogy.  And the characters seem similar.  

That is why the show was worked so well so far because it is basically a Space Western/Spaghetti Western, which can then ultimately be traced back to stuff like Lone Wolf & Cub.  It is a tried & true formula that works across almost ever sub-genre of film. 

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

That is why the show was worked so well so far because it is basically a Space Western/Spaghetti Western, which can then ultimately be traced back to stuff like Lone Wolf & Cub.  It is a tried & true formula that works across almost ever sub-genre of film. 

Yeah, the summary for the next episode is "The Mandalorian teams up with an ex-soldier to protect a town from raiders."  Never seen that done before.  :) 

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Was half expecting Rick Moranis to show up in the big Vader helmet.

Comb the desert!!

1 minute ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

nah that exchange was hilarious, y'all taking it too seriously

It was embarrassingly bad and the action scene that follows is even worse.

Howlingly bad.

• Haha 1

Couldn't they make Kylo Ren's mask something that doesn't look like the back of a Dodge Charger?

And his voice sounds like when I drive through Wendy's and have a hard time understanding my order when they repeat it back to me.

I will say Adam Driver is really good as the petulant ****y bad guy, kind of how Phoenix was in Gladiator.  Similar types of performances, very easy to hate.  He's easily the best actor in this whole thing.  

Did I really just see Luke Skywalker milk some fat sea cow sitting on some rocks?  What the **** is going on?

• Haha 3

I liked this newest one. Not loved, but liked. I enjoyed it in the moment, and thought it was a fine movie on it's own. I thought MOST of it was a B,  sometimes B+ and sometimes B-. I thought there were some scenes that were hella terrible, but they were few and small, and a few of them directly related to what I imagine is awkwardness surrounding Carrie Fischer. Overall I thought it was hella rushed, and I would have preferred 20% less story for more dialogue build. The music was an A++.

As a trilogy I think they are terrible together.

Saw TROS last night. 

Honestly? It was really boring for the most part. There were no stakes. There was no sense of tension or fear. Everyone kills the bad guys easily, even if they aren't force sensitive. Nobody can die, they just become one with the force. Average people can't die. Twice we assume someone dies and they don't. Plot contrivances allow characters to easily get from point A to point B. And the whole thing is one long video game fetch quest. Guys, it's a boring movie. Without getting into detailed spoilers or logical issues, that's the problem. I could get into how corny and desperate Palpatine's insertion into this film was, but that was a relatively small problem compared to the lack of stakes and struggle. 

Now, it's not all bad. The acting is quite good. The score is nice. There are some warm, feely moments that are executed well. A couple things made me cry, you know, in a good way. The way Kylo's arc is handled illustrates that there was some planning and consistency involved in mapping out his fate. The ending is literally ROTJ with updated effects, but you feel the characters generally deserve what happened to them. The last scene was stupid but I didn't feel angry or cheated when I left. That's all I got. 

Overall, a mediocre movie without a lot of soul. The characters have some soul, and the film draws heavily on that, but the whole enterprise itself does not. These three movies do not work together and that was to be expected. I figured some retconning of TLJ would take place, but the real problem is thematic inconsistency. Nobody seems to have learned anything from TLJ. Instead it's just ignored or treated like a moment of weakness, rather than an opportunity for personal growth. Still not the worst SW movie by any stretch, and it's even quite enjoyable in the moment, but man there are some dull stretches in this movie. Basically the whole first act is a snooze.