Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I gotta say, Star Wars fans are like the Redskins fans of the NFL.  Some really good movies in the early years when it was owned by someone who knew what they were doing and everyone liked.  Then it was purchased by a bunch of dickbags and they've produced utter crap throughout the years.  Similar to Redskins alumni weekends, Star Wars fans get excited to see glimpses of the original gang that made them love the movies and keep hoping that the new, terrible ownership will somehow return this franchise to glory despite knowing deep down that there's no possible chance.

Begs the question, who's the Jar Jar Binks Redskins equivalent?  

But Jar Jar Binks happened under the original owner.

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

Gotta be vinny right.

Came in shortly after the original success, proceeded to destroy the franchise, and is no longer part of a still disorganized mess.

Also not the most handsome fella in the world.

Yeah my vote is for jar jar cerrato.

I think Spurrier might have been part Gungan.

• Haha 3

First reactions from critics are in.

Epic. All of it. #TheRiseofSkywalker is a terrific finale that is just stuffed with so much of everything. Action, adventure — answers!! — humor, heart, love, and grit. I spent the entire second half with tears in my eyes - a wonderful way to end the Skywalker story

#StarWars #TheRiseOfSkwalker reaction: One word: EPIC! A satisfying crowd pleasing adventure, and a fitting end to the saga! My favorite of the three! Can't wait to see it again!

I’m emotional, overwhelmed, surprised, shocked & stunned. More than anything, I’m happy. Thanks for coming through one more time, Star Wars.#TheRiseOfSkywalker

#StarWars #TheRiseOfSkywalker is a lot. It’s a big, giant movie with a lot of spectacle and high stakes and it’s definitely going to start a conversation (or a lot of conversations) among fans.

#StarWars #TheRiseOfSkywalker...OH MY GOD! I am absolutely blown away! I’ve never been so satisfied by a film. This is the end of an era and a franchise that has defined my life and this did it justice in a way I didn’t imagine it could. You WILL cry....

Just stepped out of #TheRiseofSkywalker. It’s an immensely satisfying and MASSIVE end to the saga. It somehow addresses issues, problematic characters, and most unanswered questions from The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi too.

I am still processing #TheRiseofSkywalker but omggggg I’m so happy and sad at the same time!!!!! JJ Abrams you’re my hero! Thank you so much for this movie.

#StarWars #TheRiseOfSkywalker is good. It’s big and full of surprises and, in the words of Luke Skywalker, “This is not going to go the way you think.”

STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER is certainly the most convoluted Star Wars. There is a lot I liked, but the first half gets so bogged down with exposition and new plot and doodads and beacons and transmitters, it feels like it should have been three movies on its own.

All I can say is “wow.”#StarWars: #TheRiseOfSkywalker is many things: horrifying, hopeful, violent, lowkey horny, and full of the right kind of fan service.

But most of all, it’s a fitting ending for this incredible, 40+ year-long saga.

I’ve seen #StarWarsTheRiseofSkywalker. It’s... a lot. There’s a lot I like and some I loved but overall my feelings are pretty mixed. It felt like an apology for The Last Jedi in some ways and a sequel to The Force Awakens in many, which I found frustrating.

RISE OF SKYWALKER could only have been ruder to Rian Johnson if they had motion-smoothed it

#TheRiseofSkywalker is a lot. It’s like 9 movies of plot in one. Going to take me about 9 days to process.

I’m gonna need a minute to digest #StarWarsTheRiseofSkywalker. There’s so much movie in this movie. But its best moments are the quietest and most human. Giving this more of a think, though.

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER is everything I wanted it to be — because there’s never been a STAR WARS movie like this before.

It’s dark and scary, but hopeful and beautiful.

It ends the trilogy while also ending the saga as a whole.

I know I’m rambling — but I worship this movie.

#RiseofSkywalker is rocky af at the start, but ultimately I had a pretty darn good time at the movies. It’s a whole lot of movie that ticks a lot of boxes. Maybe TOO many boxes. It ticked many of mine! It may tick some of yours! There will be many opinions! This is one of them!

#STARWARS ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ reactions are in...& they are overwhelmingly positive, but not perfect.

Positives:
• Epic
• Non-stop action
• Lots of fan service
• Immensely satisfying
• Very emotional

Mixed:
• A bit convoluted
• Big changes in direction from Ep. 8

Star Wars: #TheRiseOfSkwalker is TRULY a satisfying conclusion to the saga. It answers practically everything you want to know and more.. with some twists and turns. If you think you know what's going to happen, think again. #StarWars

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

10 minutes ago, drowland said:

So it sounds like what I figured it'll be.  Course correction from TLJ and more a direct sequel to TFA as well as tying it in with the OT.  Maybe Disney should have just gone in on adding an Episode X and spaced it out over 2 movies.  

Hoping at the very least there's a 5 hour Director's Cut to help expand on all the things they have going on. 

Hearing the early reviews makes me hopeful, although TLJ was praised too and ended up being [disappointing].

I was actually going to sit this one out but the family wants to go as a group to finish the story and our own little tradition I started. I bought a dozen tickets each time for Eps VII and VIII, coordinated, set up babysitters, etc. Pain in the rear but it was for Star Wars, which I had loved at the time (and my whole life up to that point). Luckily, I was able snag nine seats together at the last minute for friday night. Maybe it was the Force telling me to give it one last chance.

[Edit - Removed. I don't want to derail or beat a dead horse. Sorry! We can focus on IX.]

Edited by Metalhead
Thought better of it.

41 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I loved TLJ, don't think it was trolling anything

I don't know if trolling is the right word, but I thought TLJ focused too much on trying to divert expectations, divert fan theories and get that "Luke, I'm your father" surprise twist.  They weren't going to top that moment so they went with several WTF moments like Snoke - Dead, Leia - Mary Poppins, Rey - Nobody, Luke - Force Projection and hyperspace ramming.  I'll hold judgement until seeing ROSW but I'm thinking we're going to see some rushed character arcs  because the TLJ didn't really flesh out and move several of these characters forward.  They're the same at the end of TLJ as they were in TFA.   

2 hours ago, drowland said:

I don't know if trolling is the right word, but I thought TLJ focused too much on trying to divert expectations, divert fan theories and get that "Luke, I'm your father" surprise twist.  They weren't going to top that moment so they went with several WTF moments like Snoke - Dead, Leia - Mary Poppins, Rey - Nobody, Luke - Force Projection and hyperspace ramming.  I'll hold judgement until seeing ROSW but I'm thinking we're going to see some rushed character arcs  because the TLJ didn't really flesh out and move several of these characters forward.  They're the same at the end of TLJ as they were in TFA.   

it definitely has a lot of flaws and I understand the complaints but I disagree with the characters being the same as they were. And some of the subversions like Snoke I’m ok with because if not then you just have a rerun of the all powerful master and his apprentice that is being pulled to the light. So mix things up and they can take the story somewhere a bit more fresh in this one. 

I’m also fine with Luke and I think he stayed in character quite a bit. I’m glad they didn’t go the way of Luke being Jesus Christ Superman Jedi Master and actually showed him as a flawed hero, yet still one that wins the day and saves his friends. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

They still gonna have schmucks camping out near theaters for these crap movies???

I’d be standing in line for a few hours as I did the last two but thankfully my crappy town theater finally added the ability to pick seats up front. We used to have lines for every show time wrapped around the mall and out the door for every marvel, Star Wars, or any other big movie. Heck, in this conservative hell hole, American Sniper was the same way. People in line at 4:00 for the 7:30 showing. 

I actually always thought it was fun waiting in line for midnight release of Halo 3 or going to the 12am showing of The Dark Knight before Thursday’s premiers became a regular thing. Selective seating is much more convenient and efficient tho 

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Not sure why people need to camp, aren't all seats assigned now right when you buy them?

I mean, online ticketing would seem to eliminate the need for this.  lol  But I guess these folks HAVE to be at the first showings or they'll die.

Frankly, there arent a whole lot of things for entertainment purposes that I would think 'I gotta camp out for this".  

3 hours ago, Metalhead said:

Hearing the early reviews makes me hopeful, although TLJ was praised too and ended up being [disappointing].

I was actually going to sit this one out but the family wants to go as a group to finish the story and our own little tradition I started. I bought a dozen tickets each time for Eps VII and VIII, coordinated, set up babysitters, etc. Pain in the rear but it was for Star Wars, which I had loved at the time (and my whole life up to that point). Luckily, I was able snag nine seats together at the last minute for friday night. Maybe it was the Force telling me to give it one last chance.

[Edit - Removed. I don't want to derail or beat a dead horse. Sorry! We can focus on IX.]

I think early reviews on Twitter are notorious for being overly complimentary.  The hyperbole is always ratcheted up.

Where I stand on TLJ is that it wasn't a bad movie, but it was the wrong point in the Skywalker saga timeline to just decide to change up some things that it did character-wise, leaving a hell of a task ahead of trying to tie everything together coherently and satisfying for the finale. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

You know how things always get blown out of proportion.  Probably just absentmindedly scratched one of her titties. 

It ain’t Star Wars without sexual tension between two characters that turn out to be siblings. Rey’s a Solo, it’s a lock. 

• Haha 3