Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

Sorry now you are bringing science into it, and that's star trek.

There is no room for science in Star wars

I thought that the metaclorians were biological forms.  And biology is a science.  Therefore "the force" is science.

BTW-  I saw Star Wars III the other day on TV, and the whole genesis thing really goes against science. There's no way they could have produced that much life on a planet without water. And then Spock's son is somehow running around the planet naked, like they planned to send Spock's coffin there because they knew his son would be there too.

• Like 1

I thought that the metaclorians were biological forms.  And biology is a science.  Therefore "the force" is science.

BTW-  I saw Star Wars III the other day on TV, and the whole genesis thing really goes against science. There's no way they could have produced that much life on a planet without water. And then Spock's son is somehow running around the planet naked, like they planned to send Spock's coffin there because they knew his son would be there too.

Troll level 9.5/10.

• Like 1

I thought that the metaclorians were biological forms. And biology is a science. Therefore "the force" is science.

BTW- I saw Star Wars III the other day on TV, and the whole genesis thing really goes against science. There's no way they could have produced that much life on a planet without water. And then Spock's son is somehow running around the planet naked, like they planned to send Spock's coffin there because they knew his son would be there too.

There is so much wrong with your post I don't even know where to begin...first is thinking biology is a science...

• Like 2

Seriously, this movie looks like it could be spectacular. And I also think it's an important one, because if it bombs it will set a bad precedent for the next Star Wars "spin off" that comes along. Imagine two bombs in a row on the dpinoffs, Disney might be reluctant to make another spinoff. Of this one succeeds (which obviously means people enjoyed it) we'll be able to look forward to the next. Nothing bad can come from having too many good movies.

The scale on that shot looks off though

I was like "was the Death Star that damn big?!"   :o  Dwarfing those destroyers.

Shiza, maybe it was.

Various sources state the first Death Star has a diameter of between 140 and 160 kilometers. There is a broader range of figures for the second Death Star's diameter, ranging from 160 to 900 kilometers.
Edited by Chew

There are a bunch of space ship comparison charts on the interwebz for those who haven't seen 'em, like this:

527e180eedd244a9fbbc7acdb50986e0.jpg

zgIcrsz.jpg?fb

:

Dunno if this is all good and to scale, but here's one of those whole charts superimposed on the Death Star

ComparisonChart3_-_4_Death_Star_y_chart_

• Like 2

EW is calling shenanigans on the idea that reshoots are intended to turn Rogue One from dark awesomeness into family-friendly romp

What's true and false about the reshoots 
for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

After reaching out to deeply placed sources on the movie and at Lucasfilm to sort fact from fiction, Entertainment Weekly has learned new details about the state of the project – including who’s working on the new sequences and what those scenes involve.

Here’s what’s true: The film, which is about Rebels stealing the plans for the first Death Star just before the events of 1977’s original Star Wars, is undergoing four to five weeks of reshoots, beginning this month and ending just days before the Star Wars Celebration fan event in London on July 15.

High level sources at Lucasfilm, speaking to EW anonymously, offered some details that place the schedule in context. (Official studio sources declined comment, saying they don’t respond to rumors.)

In what may reassure fans, reshoots were scheduled for the film before even a single scene was shot. It’s standard practice now for large-scale films to build in additional weeks of shooting so filmmakers can tweak a movie after the first assembly cut.

Those reshoots were originally planned for the spring, but were bumped to mid-summer to allow for extra time as director Gareth Edwards and the creative team decided what they wanted to alter. “The changes have everything to do with clarity and character development and all take place [as inserts] within scenes we’ve already shot,” said one source on the project.

In other words, the changes involve more intimate moments – not redoing entire battle sequences or plot lines. “It’s a lot of talking in ****pits,” as the insider described the new footage.

The length of the reshoots adds up because it involves separate contributions from many different actors. Rogue One is an ensemble story with seven major characters, including the outlaw Jyn Erso (played by Felicity Jones), and her team of Rebel infiltrators played by Diego Luna, Donnie Yen, Alan Tudyk (as a performance capture droid), Riz Ahmed, Forest Whitaker, and Wen Jiang. Ben Mendelsohn costars as an Imperial officer, and Mads Mikkelson has said he plays Jyn’s father.

A source familiar with the reshoots said one of the challenges has been reuniting the cast, many of whom are involved in other movies after the pre-planned reshoots were shifted from the spring to summer. “It is a complicated schedule trying to pull people in around other things they’re doing,” the source says. “And this cast is spread out all over the world.”

Fears that the heavy-duty war movie is being watered down into a lighthearted caper are unfounded, according to what EW has learned. “The movie is very different than [The Force Awakens], and that’s intentional,” one source says. “It’s a war film.”

Rumors that Disney executives have forced the changes to make the movie more family friendly are also false. According to EW’s sources, there have been no test screenings, and it’s unlikely there ever will be on a Star Wars film.

The only two individuals outside of Lucasfilm who have seen Rogue One at this point are Disney CEO and Chairman Bob Iger and studio chief Alan Horn. The vibe on the filmmaking team is that they’re just happy the corporate bosses let them alter the schedule and make the changes. “This is a normal part of our filmmaking process,” said a Lucasfilm source. “We’re working and tweaking and making sure it’s right. This is how you build something in layers.”

“I can’t think of anything in world of creativity [that isn’t changed or reworked.] You need to do that when making these movies,” a source said, asking that the Star Wars community give them the benefit of the doubt until the Celebration event in July, when some of what they’ve been working on with Rogue One will be unveiled: “People will go insane.”

Edited by Bliz
  • Like 3

I do think the rumors of test screening are false, but I DO believe that they didn't like the tone.  More info has been leaking out, the Disney leaders have been getting the "blame" for the reshoots, as in they didn't like the tone of the film, I ultimately will judge the film on my own, but I do fear Disney will lighten it up, which sucks.

I want the dark, gritty war movie we were promised.

• Like 1

Why would we assume people on Twitter are in the know?

Maybe the people EW is interviewing aren't either, but they can at least credibly claim they have something better than rumor based on speculation

I've seen several folks on twitter mention that Disney execs felt it was "too gritty."   :(

Yeah, this is has been repeated quite a bit.

I like the Prequels because they are different from the OT.

I want this movie to be different.

I don't want ever star wars movie to follow a formula.

like I stated earlier, that's Nickelback.

Yeah, this is has been repeated quite a bit.

I like the Prequels because they are different from the OT.

I want this movie to be different.

I don't want ever star wars movie to follow a formula.

like I stated earlier, that's Nickelback.

With The ending of Rogue One being 10 minutes before the events of A New Hope, doesn't it have to follow the exact formula of ANH? Edited by DM72

With The ending of Rogue One being 10 before the events of A New Hope, doesn't it have to follow the exact formula of ANH?

It was 10 years before ANH? If that's the case maybe the female protagonist is not Reys mother as some have speculated. Where u hear that?

With The ending of Rogue One being 10 minutes before the events of A New Hope, doesn't it have to follow the exact formula of ANH?

What?  No, why?  We knew the ending to the prequels, we know the ending for this Rogue One, but that doesn't mean it has to be family friendly, and fit into the same stylistic approach as ANH.  The whole point of the Star Wars Stories was to tell other stories that were not about the Skywalkers and not force them to tie into the same styles as the others.

Looks like Disney doesn't want that, they just want money.  I don't blame them for wanting the movies to make money, it is a business after all, but it sounds as if they are trying to make Rogue One a family friendly experience where as that's not what we were told it was going to be.

Here's more rumors:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-watered-down-darth-vader-scene-in-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

The rumors are getting pretty consistent and if they do end up they way its sounding, BOOOO Disney.  You suck.

• Like 2

What?  No, why?  We knew the ending to the prequels, we know the ending for this Rogue One, but that doesn't mean it has to be family friendly, and fit into the same stylistic approach as ANH.  The whole point of the Star Wars Stories was to tell other stories that were not about the Skywalkers and not force them to tie into the same styles as the others.

Looks like Disney doesn't want that, they just want money.  I don't blame them for wanting the movies to make money, it is a business after all, but it sounds as if they are trying to make Rogue One a family friendly experience where as that's not what we were told it was going to be.

Here's more rumors:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-watered-down-darth-vader-scene-in-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

The rumors are getting pretty consistent and if they do end up they way its sounding, BOOOO Disney.  You suck.

This sounds AWESOME... and it might not even be in the movie now...

Apparently, one scene that studio execs aren’t comfortable with is one that features Darth Vader (who has been rumored to have a role in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story for quite some time). According to the Reddit user, the scene in question featured the iconic villain taking out a Rebel ground Squad:

“In a night scene Vader absolutely lays waste to a Rebel ground Squad,” Reddit user KeepR1Dark writes. “Unfortunately this is one of the scenes we have to water down. We made it like something from the old slasher/horror films. Rebel soldiers who joked about a boogie man with magical powers and then minutes later are absolutely wasted.”

• Like 1