Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 3:06 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

You mean that wino one that crashed the speeder?  Clearly their tryhard inspirational yet slow af leader with a drinking problem. I dont share your optimism. 

#Lightwork

Yea, the feral drunken psychopath with no boundaries or compunction about other people's property OR LIVELIHOODS.  Wicket is basically a furry version of John McClane.

On 10/29/2019 at 3:26 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Darth Maul says hi. There is so much backstory of his to be told...and even post movie stories...and he's in what...one/two scene(s) in the prequels? 

He's similar to Boba Fett in that they both look cool, but they get pwned the first time they have a job to do.  His origin story would probably be pretty good if it wasn't Disney (again, he's probably killed hundreds of people). 

• Haha 1

Wow, I can't believe all the disrespect for Boba Fett here.  The guy ran a scam on Vader to get a big bounty.  That takes guts.  Didn't he wait to grab Han and Leia, just so he could get paid?  I mean, he takes the job to find the Mellennium Falcon while standing on Vader's ship.  He had to know the Falcon was still attached to Vader's ship, since he waited to follow the Falcon by using the same trick Han did (floating away with the trash dumped by The star destroyers).  So, I think it is pretty funny he didn't mention to Vader that he knew the Falcon was right there.  He might have got stiffed on his pay if Vader knew it was that easy.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nerm said:

Wow, I can't believe all the disrespect for Boba Fett here.  The guy ran a scam on Vader to get a big bounty.  That takes guts.  Didn't he wait to grab Han and Leia, just so he could get paid?  I mean, he takes the job to find the Mellennium Falcon while standing on Vader's ship.  He had to know the Falcon was still attached to Vader's ship, since he waited to follow the Falcon by using the same trick Han did (floating away with the trash dumped by The star destroyers).  So, I think it is pretty funny he didn't mention to Vader that he knew the Falcon was right there.  He might have got stiffed on his pay if Vader knew it was that easy.  

They'll never understand....

• Haha 2

So apparently Hamill is complaining about Luke's storyline in ep. 9.  Must mean its going to be pretty good.  Someone needs to explain to him that ghosts usually don't have a lot of face time in movies unless the title of the movie is 'Ghost," or "Casper the Friendly Ghost," or "Space Ghost"

• Haha 1

I was watching Mandalorian (worth watching), with my son, who never showed interest in Star Wars, suddenly wants to watch them all. He wants to watch them in the order that I had seen them...we started with New Hope. As we get to the cantina scene (Han shoots first scene) Greedo now says “Maclonky”. I wish they would just let things be. 

Episode 2 of Mandalorian drops tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yohan said:

I was watching Mandalorian (worth watching), with my son, who never showed interest in Star Wars, suddenly wants to watch them all. He wants to watch them in the order that I had seen them...we started with New Hope. As we get to the cantina scene (Han shoots first scene) Greedo now says “Maclonky”. I wish they would just let things be. 

Episode 2 of Mandalorian drops tomorrow.

What are the versions on Disney+.

I have to get my wife caught up still. She's seen them but it's been so long she needs a full rewatch prior to Episode 9. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

What are the versions on Disney+.

I have to get my wife caught up still. She's seen them but it's been so long she needs a full rewatch prior to Episode 9. 

It's the 2004 special edition, but with new 4K scans and the MacClunkey

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 2

Cant wait to see where the Mandalorian goes, getting into Episode 2 as soon as I can tomorrow. Started watching Episode 4 since its easy to just pull up and watch with Disney Plus and my kids are really into it. They have seen them all before but its been awhile plus my two younger ones dont seem to really remember seeing them. I have the de-specialized editions on an external hard drive but its just so much easier to just play off of Disney Plus I am just going to deal with it. May try watching 4 and 5 with them and then "flashback" to Episode 2 and 3 before finishing with 6,7, and 8 leading up to 9. Im going to skip Rogue One for now so I dont confuse them as to the timeline.

• Like 1

Disney+ is a great deal as far as volume of content, but I still think for me personally it is mainly something for my kids.  My main appeal will be what kind of original content they develop over the next year or so.  I will never get tired of having access to Star Wars & The Simpsons on demand. (Not a comic book movie guy for the most part), but otherwise I can see this app being a total nostalgia trap where you are drawn to it merely for the access to the library as opposed to actually sitting down and watching a lot of it.  

I need to see this. Did not know about this until the Binge Mode podcast brought it up. 

Last month I received a cryptic e-mail inviting me to a private screening of a new Star Wars film edited by Topher Grace — which is funny because I had no idea there was a new Star Wars film in the works, with or without Grace’s involvement. I was told the screening was a secret private event arranged only for friends only and was asked not to talk about it beforehand. The event was held somewhere in the Hollywood area in a a screening room filled with filmmakers, editors, actors, actresses and only a few press friends. I was told I could blog about it afterwards if I wanted, so here goes…

For those of you who don’t know, Topher Grace is a film geek. He loves the Star Wars films, the Back to the Future movies and all the same signature titles of any film geek who grew up in the 1980s. He recently became interested in the editing process and wanted to learn more about the art form. Instead of cutting a short film, he wanted to use something he was more familiar with.

His idea was to edit the Star Wars prequels into one movie, as they would provide him a lot of footage to work with. He used footage from all three prequels, a couple cuts from the original trilogy, some music from The Clone Wars television series, and even a dialogue bit from Anthony Daniels’ (C-3PO) audio book recordings. He even created a new opening text crawl to set up his version of the story.

The result is an 85-minute movie titled Star Wars: Episode III.5: The Editor Strikes Back. It should be noted that the Star Wars prequel trilogy is almost 7 hours in total length, and the shortest film (Episode 1) is more than 51 minutes longer than Grace’s fan cut. What this means is a lot of footage ended up on the editing room floor, and a lot of creative choices were made in the editing process. And the result? Topher Grace’s Star Wars film is probably the best possible edit of the Star Wars prequels given the footage released and available.

Whats most shocking is that with only 85 minutes of footage, Topher was able to completely tell the main narrative of Anakin Skywalker’s road from Jedi to the Sith. While I know the missing pieces and could even fill in the blanks in my head as the film raced past, none of those points were really needed. Whats better is that the character motivations are even more clear and identifiable, a real character arc not bogged down by podraces, galactic senates, Jar Jar Binks, politics or most of the needless parts of the Star Wars prequels. It not only clarifies the story, but makes the film a lot more action-packed.

The opening crawl establishes that asss climactic lightsaber fight between Darth Maul (Ray Park), Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson), and Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), bypassing the majority of Phantom Menace completely. Starting the story in the middle of this fight was a brilliant choice. Qui-Gon’s dying request that Obi-Wan train Anakin perfectly sets up the story.

Grace’s version of the film(s) centers on Anakin’s training and friendship with Obi-Wan, and his relationship with Queen Amidala (Natalie Portman). Gone are Trade Federation blockades, the Gungan city, the whole Padmé handmaiden storyline, the explanation of midichlorians, the galactic senate and the boring politics, Anakin’s origins (a backstory which never really needed to be seen in the first place), the droid army’s attack on Naboo, and Jar Jar Binks (Ahmed Best) appears only briefly for only one line of dialogue, used as a set-up to introduce us to the Queen.

The first time we see Anakin, he is grown up and played by Hayden Christensen (Jake Lloyd never appears in this version). Kenobi and Skywalker are assigned to protect Amidala from additional assassination attempts. This leads us quickly into the chase to capture the assassin in the skies of Coruscant. Anakin is assigned to accompany Padmé to her home planet of Naboo. Unlike George’s version, Obi-Wan doesn’t discover an army of clone troopers on Kamino, but instead stumbles upon Count Dooku’s motives.

While the Clone troopers make a couple short appearances in this version of the film, the word “clone” is only used once, and the whole storyline is almost completely cut from the story. Jango Fett makes only a small appearance, and his son Boba Fett is left on the cutting room floor. Anakin returns to Tatooine and finds his mother tortured to death by the Tusken Raiders, but gone is the laughable aftermath.

https://www.slashfilm.com/topher-grace-edited-star-wars-prequels-85minute-movie/ 

8 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

May try watching 4 and 5 with them and then "flashback" to Episode 2 and 3 before finishing with 6,7, and 8 leading up to 9. Im going to skip Rogue One for now so I dont confuse them as to the timeline.

The first time i showed my wife the movies, this was the order we went. Going straight into #2 -3 and seeing Anakin's story after the end of Empire is a much better way to absorb the story. We also get conclusions to Luke's arc in 6 and we are still fresh off Anakin's fall so his turn back to the light makes more sense and flows better having just experienced what he went through and realizing how his son could be what brings him back

You can also skip Phantom Menace because **** that. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Disney+ is a great deal as far as volume of content, but I still think for me personally it is mainly something for my kids.  My main appeal will be what kind of original content they develop over the next year or so.  I will never get tired of having access to Star Wars & The Simpsons on demand. (Not a comic book movie guy for the most part), but otherwise I can see this app being a total nostalgia trap where you are drawn to it merely for the access to the library as opposed to actually sitting down and watching a lot of it.  

Ive got Disney + free for the first year since I have Verizon Unlimited, but even at that its pretty cheap. Im most looking forward to the original series from Star Wars, Marvel, etc.

25 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You can also skip Phantom Menace because **** that. 

Yeah, I find it really hard to get through the Phantom Menace. There are some really cool scenes in there, like the fight with Maul, but as a whole it feels really slow and drawn out. On the flip side I think Revenge of the Sith is one of my favorites and definitely the best of the prequels.

• Like 1