Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

10 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Well, I thought the Vader initially killed many of the main Rogue One squad as well but in the reshoots he killed the nameless rebels shown in the final version. 

Also, I can still notice a difference in tone in the first trailer compared to the later trailers after the reshoots apparently took place. More emphasis on Hope and a less 'we're all ****ed" scenario. 

Reveal hidden contents

with all the talk of the Han Solo name not being his original name...what are the odds his last name was originally Ren and that will be revealed in the Solo movie? Or better yet, his name is something else that we find out is Rey's last name? I don't know if they would want to spoil that reveal for the Han Solo movie though. But maybe it was a child Han had after he and Leia split so she isn't a Skywalker and he gave her the last name Ren, his original name, to keep her safe and a secret and dropped her off in the safest place he could think could of, Luke's academy. 

I hadn't heard that re Vader.  This is what I was thinking of:

However, that climactic scene, which reestablishes Vader’s dark side bona fides and has quickly become a fan favorite, almost didn’t exist. According to editor John Gilroy, the badass action scene was one of the key late tweaks arising from the film’s infamous reshoots. “What was added — and it was a fantastic add — was the Vader action scene, with him boarding the ship and dispatching all those rebel soldiers,” he tells Yahoo Movies. “That was something conceptualized a little later.”

With the Star Wars standalone providing the connective tissue between Revenge of the Sith (which ends with our first glimpse of Anakin-as-Vader) and A New Hope, director Gareth Edwards always intended to bring back the dark lord. As initially conceived, though, Vader was more threat than death agent in his brief appearances — an ominous warning here, a nonlethal Force choke there.

Gilroy, who came aboard the production late in the game to help incorporate the reshoots overseen by his brother, Tony, alongside Edwards, explains how that final scene changed over the course of the summer. Reverse-engineering the opening of A New Hope, Edwards and the Rogue One screenwriters had plotted out the ending almost precisely as it was rendered onscreen: Jyn and Cassian steal the Death Star plans from the Imperial archives on the tropical planet Scarif, and, with the help of their crew, manage to beam the data to the Alliance fleet orbiting above. From there, a hard copy is passed along until it winds up in the hands of Princess Leia, with Vader in hot pursuit. “As far as I know that was always the plan… the main structure was there,” explains Gilroy.

But then the Rogue brain trust decided to up the dark-side-of-the-Force factor and allow Vader to reclaim his Sith cred, storming the Alliance flagship, wiping out the crew, and nearly preventing the plans from getting to Leia. “It was a really great punch in the arm and something I think fans wanted to see,” the editor continues, again using “fantastic” to describe the inspired addition.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/how-darth-vader-got-his-groove-back-in-rogue-one-thanks-to-last-minute-tweak-123552848.html

As for the reshoots focusing more on hope, I don't know.  Trailers can be misleading, and maybe it was more about how the trailer was edited than what was in the movie pre-reshoot.  But as far as Disney wanting to make the film lighter, here's the money quote from Edwards about his assumptions re Disney, and how they ended up changing the ending:

A totally changed ending could hint at a fundamental misunderstanding between director and studio, but rather than a sop to a playing-it-safe company that wanted a softer conclusion, Rogue One’s ending was tweaked to make it darker.  Edwards says the original script had the main characters survive, rather than die during the battle of Scarif — not because he wanted to keep them alive, but purely because he had assumed Disney wouldn’t let him kill them off.

Speaking in the now-pulled podcast (which Empire says will reappear online on December 26th), Edwards says that after reading the script, the production staff saw only one way out for Jyn and friends. “Everyone read that and there was this feeling of like, ‘They’ve got to die, right?’ And everyone was like, ‘Yeah, can we?’” But with the famously family-friendly Disney in charge, Edwards originally looked for another, lighter, more survivable ending.

That was, until Disney gave him the green light to kill everyone. 

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/14022380/rogue-one-ending-original-different-gareth-edwards

That kind of stuff is why I am quick to write off the idea that Disney would veto it solely based on marketing/family-friendly type concerns.  All indications are they're thinking at a higher level than that.  Now, I think your other points are certainly valid.  Disney might think it was simply bad storytelling to have her go to the dark side and swap roles with Kylo Ren.  If they did veto it, I think it's for a better reason than being overly concerned with their marketable female star.  

I like where you're going with the theory.  But one potential flaw is in the timeline, and how big of an age gap between Rey and Kylo Ren we're willing to believe.

• Like 1

I like the idea of Rey being tempted and seduced by the dark side, maybe even going over to it temporarily, but I don't like the idea of flat out switching sides with Kylo Ren. I like Rey and Kylo is kind of lame in comparison, and I don't think you spend a whole movie developing the two as protagonist/antagonist only to have them swap roles later.

Trailer was a nice teaser. Can't wait to see a more full fledged one soon enough.

But if this is the darker middle movie where our hero trains with the old Jedi mentor and then goes to battle against the empire that was deeply wounded in the first movie...I mean after TFA they can't stick that close to script for this one too can they lol

they have to mix it up 

when this ends with Oscar Isaac in carbonite im coming here to raise hell

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

when this ends with Oscar Isaac in carbonite im coming here to raise hell

If anyone's in danger of ending up in carbonite, it's Fin lol.

• Like 1

Theory

why would Luke want the Jedi to end? 

I think with him being so upset and disillusioned with the force and the Jedi and everything after Kylo massacred his academy he clearly bounced to clear his head as we all know. Han says he went looking for the first jedi temple so I bet he is looking for the prophecy of two and the origin of the balance in the force.

That would be explain the two books from the trailer. That's why he wants the Jedi to end. Was the prophecy wrong all along? Or does he realize that as lon as there are Jedi there will always be Sith and this battle will continue forever? Is that why he wants to just completely break the cycle altogether? As long as there are Sith or Jedi the opposite will always exist. Luke might even be mad at this point. I could see him using Rey to destroy any Sith users and then plan to betray her and destroy all Force users or something. I've wondered with all the mystery around him and the new poster  especially if he might end up a villain 

Also when Rey says "balance" in the trailer, somebody is pointing in the book to a diamond type pattern which looks exactly like the blast Rey's light saber is making in the poster. 

Rey is clearly the balance. She might be the one to yield both light and dark successfully to bring true balance to the force and end the constant battle . Is she true chosen one as well? 

?

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Theory

Hide contents

why would Luke want the Jedi to end? 

I think with him being so upset and disillusioned with the force and the Jedi and everything after Kylo massacred his academy he clearly bounced to clear his head as we all know. Han says he went looking for the first jedi temple so I bet he is looking for the prophecy of two and the origin of the balance in the force.

That would be explain the two books from the trailer. That's why he wants the Jedi to end. Was the prophecy wrong all along? Or does he realize that as lon as there are Jedi there will always be Sith and this battle will continue forever? Is that why he wants to just completely break the cycle altogether? As long as there are Sith or Jedi the opposite will always exist. Like might even be mad at this point. I could see him using Rey to destroy any Sith users and then plan you betray her and she be all Force users or something. I've wondered with all the mystery around him and the new poster  especially if he might be he up a villain 

Also when Rey says "balance" in the trailer, somebody is pointing in the book to a diamond type pattern which looks exactly like the blast Rey's light saber is making in the poster. 

Rey is clearly the balance. She might be the one to yield both light and dark successfully to bring true balance to the force and end he constant battle . Is she true chosen one as well? 

?

That makes too much sense, therefore it will probably be something else

Rey is so hot. That movie should have ended with her meeting Luke on that planet all isolated from the rest of the universe... him having been there by himself for years with no sisters around to satisfy his sexual depravity, his mind slowly deteriorating, taking that same disturbingly awkward look at Rey as he sizes her up... 

maxresdefault.jpg

and then delivering his only line of the movie, "Awe sookey sookey". Final image is Rey with a puzzled & somewhat concerned look on her face as she realizes Luke is no longer the wise Jedi master she had expected to meet. Boom... Star Warsesque zoom in to the credits & theme music and the people leave the theater counting down the seconds until Episode 8.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

He has The Force. What else could a man want?

Dude, a harem. 

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If you can "force-choke" people, certainly you can force-**** them too.

That is just rude. I am more blatant. Clearly it is a relative to BOTH of you guys. 

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a little hand choke here and there. There or there. 

Apologize for the derailment of the thread. I was just being silly. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 2:32 PM, Bliz said:

The concerns about Disney marketing corporatism and general touchy-feelyness preventing the right story from being told need to be thrown on the scrap heap.

Remember last year?  The Rogue One reshoots?  The internet collectively **** itself over what Disney was doing.  "They're making it less gritty!  It was too dark and the Disney execs are making them lighten it up!  They're going to ruin the tone!"

Then what happened?  Turns out the reshoots added Vader going ham on the Rebels, and everyone dies in the end.  And all the concerns were over nothing.

Kathleen Kennedy is a legend.  You couldn't ask for a better steward for the franchise.  Whatever flaws any of these movies have or end up having, blame does not sit in Disney's lap.

They did cut a scene that was considered too dark.

There was another Vader scene where he slaughtered rebels and it was cut. Then for what ever reason, they added the ending, which was cool, but not as dark as the other scene.

On 4/15/2017 at 0:48 PM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

My son and I absolutely love this show.  I love it on the same level as the movies.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Has anybody seen the comparison videos about the TFA and Last Jedi trailers?  They're almost exactly the same trailer.  Disney basically is just using a template now.  

Is that shocking?  I think they used a template for TFA.

• Like 1

http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-world-star-wars-starship-luxury-resort-hotel-2017-4

When the theme park known as Star Wars Land opens its doors at Disney World in 2019, it promises to be an immersive experience that any fan of the beloved saga will go crazy for. 

Over the weekend at Star Wars Celebration, we saw some teases of what will be available in the park, and now it sounds like there could be a resort inside the land that will be a must-stay for "Star Wars" fanatics. 

According to Walt Disney World News Today, Disney has sent out a survey to guests gauging their interest in a possible hotel resort experience inside Disney World, most likely located in Star Wars Land, which would be designed to look like you're staying on a starship.

The survey also highlights the unique experience you would get out of the two-night, all-inclusive package that will cost roughly $900 to $1,000 per guest, including a two-day story set in the the "Star Wars" universe, personal interactions with "Star Wars" characters, live performers throughout the starship, plus the ability to engage in the story by doing flight training, ship exploration, lightsaber training, and personalized secret missions (both on the starship and throughout Star Wars Land).

star wars land 3

acb.jpg

Edited by Bliz
  • Like 2

I'm in Northern California, been holding off on a Disneyland trip because my daughters are 5 and almost 2.  I want them to be a little bit older before we drop all that cash, that way they will get more out of the experience.   We are likely aiming for 2019 when Star Wars Land opens.  I don't even want to think about how much the cost of everything will be by then.

• Like 1