Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

1 minute ago, Kosher Ham said:

Not really. 

What do any of those ghosts have to add to the story ?  Pointless and repetitive. 

How old was Yoda at that time ? Too many contradictions. 

At this point I would suggest that they get the Darth Maul ghost into the fold to give some advice. 

Thats the point, what is the reason that Yoda and Obi Wan are not around if they are not? As a force ghost you are not going to die or age, you already did. So are they going to explain why they are just not around or just try to ignore it?

Just now, MisterPinstripe said:

Thats the point, what is the reason that Yoda and Obi Wan are not around if they are not? As a force ghost you are not going to die or age, you already did. So are they going to explain why they are just not around or just try to ignore it?

There were no Jedi in episode Vii for them to talk to?

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

There were no Jedi in episode Vii for them to talk to?

I dont think there is a restriction on who they can talk to, but even if so there were plenty of force sensitive people in Episode 7. But either way, Im more speaking of Episode 8 or 9. If they arent in it at all are they going to explain why or ignore it? If they are in it, what about Anakin as he was a force ghost at the end of Return of the Jedi. If he is in it, why hasnt he spoken to his grandson? If he isnt in it but Obi Wan or Yoda are, why is he not?

There is a plot hole there no matter which way they go.

One time I was watching Gilligan's Island with my roommate in college (we were pretty high). In this episode, the Harlem Globetrotters somehow get shipwrecked on the same island as the other castaways. I can't remember exactly how the story unfolds (we were pretty high) but they end up playing a charity basketball game for some reason. So anyway, one of the Globetrotters gets hurt and they have no subs so Gilligan ends up going into the game. My roommate goes, "Oh yeah, right. Like Gilligan is really going to play." and I'm thinking, "You're ok with everything else that's happened here up to this point?"

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 6

@MisterPinstripe Those missing characters are not. R1, as it is prior to ANH. TFA  is after . 

Think of it perhaps this way  R1 is Ep. 3.1, and TFA is 6.1 (or 7). 

There is not a 8 yet...

So let's go with 7... Was there a need to include those ghosts ? 

Anyway... It was okay. Perhaps they need to find a twist somehow ? Not as good as I hoped for, not as bad as I expected.

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

One time I was watching Gilligan's Island with my roommate in college (we were pretty high).

Wrong thread perhaps ? 

11 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

@MisterPinstripe Those missing characters are not. R1, as it is prior to ANH. TFA  is after . 

Think of it perhaps this way  R1 is Ep. 3.1, and TFA is 6.1 (or 7). 

There is not a 8 yet...

So let's go with 7... Was there a need to include those ghosts ? 

Anyway... It was okay. Perhaps they need to find a twist somehow ? Not as good as I hoped for, not as bad as I expected.

I dont have an issue with them not being in Episode 7 as they are establishing the story. But Luke should be in Episode 8 heavily and hes someone that would be in contact with Yoda and Obi Wan which is why I brought it up.

Since they are force ghosts they could still be interacting with Luke even on a daily basis, and perhaps why wouldnt they? So if Yoda and Obi Wan are not in Episode 8 at all then will they explain why or just ignore it and move on with the story without them.

14 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

@MisterPinstripe

Wrong thread perhaps ? 

I think hes trying to equate the Harlem Globetrotters being on Gilligan's island to plot holes in the Star Wars cannon.

TFA IS episode 7.  The movies with episode numbers ARE IN FACT about the Skywalker family. Lucas said this and Kathleen Kennedy has confirmed this.  Rogue one does not have an episode number because it is a standalone movie NOT about the Skywalker family, but what Disney calls "A Star Wars Story". Obviously, more Star Wars Stories are coming.  

At this point, we know there is an EP 8 and EP 9 but that looks to be the last of the Skywalker saga.

27 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I think hes trying to equate the Harlem Globetrotters being on Gilligan's island to plot holes in the Star Wars cannon.

His point is that we are watching a movie about an Empire that spans an entire galaxy and flights between planets occurring more easily than we can take the train to NYC. Occasionally dead people show up as ghosts. If you open your mind to ALL OF THAT, it's odd to think there's something completely weird if one of those ghosts doesn't make an appearance at some point. 

I watch Timeless and sometime visit the IMDB message boards. I crack up when people start to nitpick about how one of the main character's accents would be received in colonial times. It's no issue that we're watching a show about how they can hop back and forth between 2016 and 1785, but it's ridiculous that some colonists wouldn't immediately shoot someone for sounding a little different? 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

His point is that we are watching a movie about an Empire that spans an entire galaxy and flights between planets occurring more easily than we can take the train to NYC. Occasionally dead people show up as ghosts. If you open your mind to ALL OF THAT, it's odd to think there's something completely weird if one of those ghosts doesn't make an appearance at some point. 

I watch Timeless and sometime visit the IMDB message boards. I crack up when people start to nitpick about how one of the main character's accents would be received in colonial times. It's no issue that we're watching a show about how they can hop back and forth between 2016 and 1785, but it's ridiculous that some colonists wouldn't immediately shoot someone for sounding a little different? 

Well yeah it would be odd, as Luke is the only Jedi left and Obi-Wan and Yoda were his teachers. I think it would be more abnormal to think that they just disappeared after Return of the Jedi and didnt assist Luke any more with his training over the years.

He didnt have much training before going off to fight the empire, would have had a rather hard time figuring out the ways of the Jedi without them. I dont think its nit picking and rather is kind of important for the plot, not quite the same as accents being different.

IF Yoda and Obi-wan havent been around then how did Luke learn all about the ways of the Jedi and keep training? It would make sense that Obi-Wan and/or Yoda were involved since they were the only Jedi he had left that he could communicate with.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

Darth Maul isn't dead (well he isn't dead the way you think he is). On Rebels he is still alive about a year or two before Rogue One. 

As for Anakin learning how to become a force ghost, I always thought he learned from Darth Sidious. But from looking it up - apparently Lucas explained (in the ROTJ DVD commentary) that the intent was that Yoda and OB1 assisted him when he renounced the dark side (by saving Luke) and became one with the force (upon his death). 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Darth Maul isn't dead.

As for Anakin learning how to become a force ghost, I always thought he learned from Darth Sidious. But from looking it up - apparently Lucas explained (in the ROTJ DVD commentary) that the intent was that Yoda and OB1 assisted him when he renounced the dark side (by saving Luke) and became one with the force (upon his death). 

Ahh interesting, thanks for the info. I havent listened to the commentary on ROTJ.

On 12/21/2016 at 4:07 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Darth Maul isn't dead (well he isn't dead the way you think he is). On Rebels he is still alive about a year or two before Rogue One. 

Not to criticize you at all, but Maul being alive is dumb. If any extended story was going to keep alive it should have been in the movies. Honestly, he should have been the main villain of the prequels where Anakin finally defeats him and you think it's over then maybe he betrays Windu and saves the Emperor and goes on to fight Obi Wan etc. 

Bringing back such a great and popular character outside of the movies is just a waste. One other point on this. Darth Maul is 1000% better, cooler and more badass than Boba Fett could ever dream of being as far as SW character rankings go. 

To your last point. I've never liked that Anakin was a force ghost anyway. I always felt like Yoda and Obi Wan trained for years specifically to get to that ability and here comes Anakin, oh hey I'm good now can I hang it with you guys in the afterlife? 

Kinda like how in DBZ Vegeta finally gives his life for others in the Buu saga and is allowed to come back from the otherworld and fight Buu when he shouldn't have been 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

On December 24, 2016 at 8:41 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Not to criticize you at all, but Maul being alive is dumb. If any extended story was going to keep alive it should have been in the movies. Honestly, he should have been the main villain of the prequels where Anakin finally defeats him and you think it's over then maybe he betrays Windu and saves the Emperor and goes on to fight Obi Wan etc. 

Bringing back such a great and popular character outside of the movies is just a waste. One other point on this. Darth Maul is 1000% better, cooler and more badass than Boba Fett could ever dream of being as far as SW character rankings go. 

To your last point. I've never liked that Anakin was a force ghost anyway. I always felt like Yoda and Obi Wan trained for years specifically to get to that ability and here comes Anakin, oh hey I'm good now can I hang it with you guys in the afterlife? 

Kinda like how in DBZ Vegeta finally gives his life for others in the Buu saga and is allowed to come back from the otherworld and fight Buu when he shouldn't have been 

I do agree about Maul. I DO NOT like his character in Rebels. His personality is TOTALLY off in IMO.

• Like 1

A Darth Maul prequel movie would be pretty cool. In fact I think we really need a Star Wars movie about an anti hero. I mean anti heroes are all the rage in popular culture nowadays, and after playing all the Knights of the Old Republic games a story from a Sith perspective would be pretty awesome if done properly.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

A Darth Maul prequel movie would be pretty cool. In fact I think we really need a Star Wars movie about an anti hero. I mean anti heroes are all the rage in popular culture nowadays, and after playing all the Knights of the Old Republic games a story from a Sith perspective would be pretty awesome if done properly.

That would definitely be awesome and could possibly redeem (and expand/explain) Episode I. I'm all for movies that dig into lore and fill the gaps. Seriously this would excite me so much.

As Rogue One has done (and hopefuly the Han Solo story will too), it kind of soft-retcons the prequels in a way, removing the bad after-taste.

I'm still hoping for an HK-47 appearance though...he'd be super-old and extremely annoyed at all meatbags. Imo, HK would be the perfect villain for the Han movie directed by Lord and Miller.

14 hours ago, Metalhead said:

I'm still hoping for an HK-47 appearance though...he'd be super-old and extremely annoyed at all meatbags. Imo, HK would be the perfect villain for the Han movie directed by Lord and Miller.

HK-47 was the best character in KotOR. And playing the Sith in all of those games is way more fun. Especially at the end of the original.

I believe they're making a Boba Fett "origin" movie as well.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2016 at 3:07 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Just read up on this. Seems dumb. I watched him get sliced in half and fall 5 million feet. Seems like that would be difficult to survive. Makes me glad that Tyranus wasn't more popular. Not sure I could stomach a storyline where he survived the beheading and somebody just hooked him up with a robotic neck, torso, arms, & legs so that he could carry on about his business.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

She (Leia) was barely in the last one and I suspect this one is more focused on Rey (and her lineage), Luke, and the newer cast anyways. 

As for Maul, how is that different from Vader having all his limbs cut off. The idea is that hate and the dark side led to his survival. If anything, I think Rebels has led to his character becoming more interesting now that we get more of his backstory. 

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

She (Leia) was barely in the last one and I suspect this one is more focused on Rey, Luke, and the newer cast anyways. 

As for Maul, how is that different from Vader having all his limbs cut off. The idea is that hate and the dark side led to his survival. If anything, I think Rebels has led to his character becoming more interesting now that we get more of his backstory. 

The difference is that Maul got sliced in half AND fell down a shaft. Even with the force, it's far fetched that he could survive that. 

As for Vader, heck we have peopling our world that survived multiple limb amputations.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DM72 said:

The difference is that Maul got sliced in half AND fell down a shaft. Even with the force, it's far fetched that he could survive that. 

As for Vader, heck we have peopling our world that survived multiple limb amputations.

But he didn't fall down the shaft. He force grabbed an air vent on his way down. As for cutting in half, we have people surviving that too and they were not cut in half by a laser (edit..I know..light saber) like he was. 

But again, we are talking about far fetched things and the force/jedis/sith in the same sentence so it's all relative. :P