Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

2001 Space Odyssey would be classified SF because the major problem stemmed from a computer failure and the dangers of artificial intelligence. Continuing my geeky trend, that was the major fighting point between lovers of Star Trek vs. Star Wars. Star Trek is considered science fiction. Star Wars was treading on their turf without being classicly SF.

Fair point on 2001 Space Odyssey, I disagree that a broken computer suddenly makes it syfy. That said Trekkies who say that SW isn't syfy are just stupid. 

Star Trek is just Star Wars told by Berkeley professors. There's nothing specifically sciency that differentiates Trek from Wars. 

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

No.  I just see what people post here from twitter.

Ahhh well that explains it. 1sec....

Here you go...this should help.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, kfrankie said:

So there's some speculation that ROD will include time travel.  I'm no Star Wars nerd or anything, but wouldn't that pretty rui everything that has happened since 1977?

THere's so many rumors running around--but that would be incredibly stupid. I will say though, I don't believe this for a second.

2 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

You say that now, but my understanding is you believed it tomorrow. 

Even if they introduce time travel, they can always go back in time and destroy that infernal machine so it doesn't really matter.  After all. It's brought nothing but trouble.  Or he could just build a new one out of a locomotive and continue to make the same stupid mistakes with his new wife and his kids.

9 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Seriously considering starting the book series The New Jedi Order.  It is evidently 19 books, so a huge commitment.  Anyone read these and have thoughts?

Read them as they were coming out. The Vong are some vicious ****ers.  Some of them can drag in spots. Still would have been better then TLJ though.  Probably why Disney said they're no longer canon. :) . 

Also, this right here has been out for maybe 2 weeks. :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Seriously considering starting the book series The New Jedi Order.  It is evidently 19 books, so a huge commitment.  Anyone read these and have thoughts?

Excellent bad guys but multiple authors are a little uneven with the Vong.  Example the initial authors made the Vong vicious and xenocidal exterminating large populations, but about midway through the books when a  highly populated planet fell I assumed the vast majority of it's population was exterminated. The next book a different author saves the population by making them refugees that were expelled by the Vong (Completely inconsistent with earlier writers).

However, decent read with different approach Tech versus Bio Tech (Vongs weapons, ships etc are living organisms and the Vong hate mechanical technology). 

Edited by nonniey

10 hours ago, TK said:

Read them as they were coming out. The Vong are some vicious ****ers.  Some of them can drag in spots. Still would have been better then TLJ though.  Probably why Disney said they're no longer canon. :) . 

Also, this right here has been out for maybe 2 weeks. :) 

6 hours ago, nonniey said:

Excellent bad guys but multiple authors are a little uneven with the Vong.  Example the initial authors made the Vong vicious and xenocidal exterminating large populations, but about midway through the books when a  highly populated planet fell I assumed the vast majority of it's population was exterminated. The next book a different author saves the population by making them refugees that were expelled by the Vong (Completely inconsistent with earlier writers).

However, decent read with different approach Tech versus Bio Tech (Vongs weapons, ships etc are living organisms and the Vong hate mechanical technology). 

Thanks both.  Sounds like they are worth the read, but damn, 19 books is a lot.  

I read the original Thrawn trilogy like 15 years ago, they were excellent.  What, in your opinions, is the best trilogy of books (maybe i should start with 3, not 19).  

I recently tried to read the Aftermath trilogy, but they were pretty terrible. 

9 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

www.syfy.com/syfywire/thrawn-new-dawn-we-count-down-31-best-star-wars-books

I'm pretty sure Timothy Zahn's trilogy is going to be widely regarded as the pinnacle, but most of them are good reads. I read a lot of the older ones on this list as a kid. 

The one after that was terrible. The one with the White Current Force Altenative thing?

7 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I'm pretty sure Timothy Zahn's trilogy is going to be widely regarded as the pinnacle, but most of them are good reads. I read a lot of the older ones on this list as a kid. 

This is the exact article that I read that piqued my interest in The New Jedi Order series.  It's listed as #2 behind the Thrawn trilogy, but also says it is controversial.  

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Thanks both.  Sounds like they are worth the read, but damn, 19 books is a lot.  

I read the original Thrawn trilogy like 15 years ago, they were excellent.  What, in your opinions, is the best trilogy of books (maybe i should start with 3, not 19).  

I recently tried to read the Aftermath trilogy, but they were pretty terrible. 

Hell, even I haven’t finished Aftermath :ols: 

Heres a self contained one for ya. Think Ocean’s 11 meets Han Solo :)

https://www.amazon.com/Scoundrels-Star-Legends-Timothy-Zahn/dp/0345511514

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

I, Jedi should be on that list. 

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Jedi-Michael-Stackpole/dp/0553578731