Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KING: Peyton Manning’s squeaky-clean image was built on lies (Alleged Sexual Assault)

Morrison J

I've known about this for years, why are people acting like it has been hidden?  It was part of a harassment lawsuit and as gross as it is, I have a hard time calling it sexual assault (if that's the case, so is all mooning, this was just worse.)

Although some people get better publicity than others, have you heard about anything with him (other than the HGH allegation) and his conduct on a criminal or deeply immoral basis?

I haven't.  

Let me tell you why it's coming out (again) now:

Cam Newton lost and acted like a chump after the game.

Take from that what you will.

As people have mentioned before, attaching this to Cam Newton is a terrible strategy. Trying to use it to prop up Cam overwhelms any honest point to this. And I'm saying this as someone who isn't upset with what Cam did after the game. If anyone actually planned to point out that Manning isn't all he's made to be, slathering agendas all over an article is a poor way of shedding any light. It makes it look like a hit piece, and it will make it even harder for it to gain any ground.

Where there's power there's probably corruption to some extent.  The Manning's are a legacy in TN so the article is believable, the verbal harassment doesn't surprise me but if its true they wanted to pin it on a black student thats just as disturbing as the alleged act by Manning.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-peyton-manning-squeaky-clean-image-built-lies-article-1.2530395?cid=bitly

Really does say a lot about the power of todays media. Very interested to see how they handle this.

Brady vilified for having air taken out of a football (allegedly).
Cam vilified for being upset in an interview after losing the biggest game of his career. 

Surely the darling of the media can't get away with it again just like he did with the HGH story. The protection he gets from the media just isn't right tbh. 

Its just worth remembering here that the 74 page 'court document' referred to and on which this article is based is actually the case against Manning submitted by the lawyers of Naughtright in a defamation case against Manning. Its not the courts opinion on the matter or details of a settlement. Its the case put by lawyers acting for one party.

Its one sided and partial - as its supposed to be.

That does not mean whats in it is not true, or at least substantially true. But it does mean you have to treat it with caution and you certainly cant assume its 100% accurate. 

Yeah, he probably did it. A 20 year old immature rich kid thought it might be funny to mushroom stamp his team doctor. It's immature, inappropriate, and could be construed as misdemeanor assault. That said, it happened 20 years ago. Manning hasn't so much as had a speeding ticket since then. I did some pretty immature, stupid **** when I was a late teen, early 20's dude. I don't think this event should define him as a person. I've seen some comments basically calling him a phony, a felon, and discrediting everything he's done as a pro. I mean, seriously?

It was dumb. It happened 20 years ago. He didn't rape the woman. I don't think you can say he ruined her career either. Has she been unemployed for 20 years? From what I read, she went on to be very successful elsewhere.

The timing of the story is weird, and because it was brought up initially by a chode with an agenda, it discredits his account some. But this was a long time ago now, and it's not new information either. Lets move on to the next controversy.

Timing of the article aside, appears the story is true.  As Morrison pointed out, what the heck was Manning thinking about not only putting the incident in the book, but rub the victim's face in it. 

So to speak, I assume lol...

Yeah, he probably did it. A 20 year old immature rich kid thought it might be funny to mushroom stamp his team doctor. It's immature, inappropriate, and could be construed as misdemeanor assault. That said, it happened 20 years ago. Manning hasn't so much as had a speeding ticket since then. I did some pretty immature, stupid **** when I was a late teen, early 20's dude. I don't think this event should define him as a person. I've seen some comments basically calling him a phony, a felon, and discrediting everything he's done as a pro. I mean, seriously?

It was dumb. It happened 20 years ago. He didn't rape the woman. I don't think you can say he ruined her career either. Has she been unemployed for 20 years? From what I read, she went on to be very successful elsewhere.

The timing of the story is weird, and because it was brought up initially by a chode with an agenda, it discredits his account some. But this was a long time ago now, and it's not new information either. Lets move on to the next controversy.

The real issue isn't the sexual assault, as it were...the real issue is everything that occurred afterwards. That's the part that will have the biggest chance of staining Manning's reputation and career.

I pointed out this part elsewhere, but will put it here as well. From Sporting News:

The document claims that Manning, in an attempt to "discredit the victim," told his father that Dr. Naughright was "trashy," had a "vulgar mouth," was unattractive despite her "big breasts," and that "she had been out with a lot of black guys," — a seemingly irrelevant detail, but apparently meant as a negative. In Archie Manning's deposition, he said there was a perception among some that trainers "should not be going out with blacks if the trainer is white."

The whole "she goes out with black guys" thing has been used for decades as subtle code for "slut" (or "trashy" as Manning put it). Wanna tarnish her reputation? Say she goes out with black guys, then everyone will know she's just a slut. I mean, why else would a white woman go out with black guys, right?

Original article from 97;

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/1997/08/20/oth_213271.shtml#.VsDGoPIrKUk

"A UT investigation conducted after Ms. Whited filed the complaint last year verified at least four of her 33 claims involving athletes, trainers, coaches and administrators. It noted athletes or trainers received some form of discipline in other cases.

But the report also contained some denials and memory lapses by Ms. Whited's colleagues and administrators. In those cases, investigators reached no conclusion and dismissed the claims as vague or too general.

Investigators concluded "both parties share responsibility for the current environment."

"Ms. Whited often sent mixed messages about matters complained of in her allegations in that she herself exhibited similar behavior or did not make clear that she found particular conduct to be offensive," the report said.

"Likewise, the Athletics Department administration could have avoided some problems by more clearly conveying to Ms. Whited the basis for actions she considered to be discriminatory."

People interviewed by investigators said Ms. Whited frequently used profanity in an effort, as one put it, "to prove that she was one of the boys.""

Hmm 33 claims?

I have a problem with the way King framed this discussion as a defense of Cam Newton. It's unseemly and disrespectful to make sexual assault (and continuous character assassination) important simply because it scores points in a silly argument about which ultra successful rich man is not being appreciated enough. Sarah Spain does a better job of disconnecting the two discussions and pointing out why Peyton deserves criticism for his conduct. http://espn.go.com/espnw/voices/article/14778120/sarah-spain-said-peyton-manning-sexual-assault-allegations

Ironic that a guy pretending to be black is saying that Peyton's image is built on lies.

its irrelevant to mention King's background.

And looking at King's pics as a child, he looks biracial. He has other negatives that you probably did not read/hear/see on your favorite right wing media outlet, but this one has to stop.

Classic bashing the messenger and not the message.

Someone (forget who) was on the radio explaining why the whole story is bull****. Basically, Manning mooned this trainer 20 years ago. A loooooooong time later she comes back and sues with a different story. King reports her side of the story only like its the gospel truth.

I agree that King should not accept her side as gospel truth, but you should also not accept that Manning's side is the gospel either like you are so easily willing to do. For starters, you and the hack radio person you heard this from, do not know the basic details as to why she sued Manning again.

I agree that King should not accept her side as gospel truth, but you should also not accept that Manning's side is the gospel either like you are so easily willing to do. For starters, you and the hack radio person you heard this from, do not know the basic details as to why she sued Manning again.

So you think this was just Shaun King's way of getting back at Peyton for beating Cam Newton in the Super Bowl?

Ironic that a guy pretending to be black is saying that Peyton's image is built on lies.

What am I missing?

Someone (forget who) was on the radio explaining why the whole story is bull****. Basically, Manning mooned this trainer 20 years ago. A loooooooong time later she comes back and sues with a different story. King reports her side of the story only like its the gospel truth.

That's not my understanding of the story at all? One I thought he essential teabagged her? Two, they settled out of court and that he was the who kept violating the terms of the settlement by bringing it back up (and changing the story and dragging her name through the mud) and causing her to sue him? If I'm right on the details here then it sounds like radio dude was completely talking out of his ass

Now that was a interesting rabbit hole to tumble down.  I had no idea who Shaun King was but the allegations that he's a white guy seem to have a lot of evidence and his response uses some interesting wording.  I don't know if it's true but it's certainly not boring. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3205874/Never-identified-white-Black-Lives-Matter-activist-Shaun-King-outed-white-insists-father-light-skinned-black-man-comeback-allegations.html

That's not my understanding of the story at all? One I thought he essential teabagged her? Two, they settled out of court and that he was the who kept violating the terms of the settlement by bringing it back up (and changing the story and dragging her name through the mud) and causing her to sue him? If I'm right on the details here then it sounds like radio dude was completely talking out of his ass

Those are the details according to her from her lawsuit (apparently King didn't feel like he needed to read the other side of the argument).

"The 74-page document is not objective. The 74-page document is not supposed to be objective. The 74-page document is not a court order or any other decision made by a neutral party. And, ultimately, the 74-page document is incomplete without comparing it to the corresponding “Facts of the Case” document submitted by the defendants in the case."

They are also different from the details as she originally reported them many, many years earlier when it originally happened.

I'm think the reporter on the radio might have been Jason Whitlock. Not sure.

I'd say there's an excellent chance that Shaun King is the hack who talks out of his ass.

So you think this was just Shaun King's way of getting back at Peyton for beating Cam Newton in the Super Bowl?

No

I think this was a story that had been in out in some way for years and wasnt talked about and even has some people attempting dismiss what Manning did as something harmless.

And if the allegations are true, then the cover up is just as bad as the crime including Archie Manning being a a racist by alleging the trainer slept with black players.

I'm pretty sure the reporter was Jason Whitlock.

I'd say there's an excellent chance that Shaun King is the hack who talks out of his ass.

Ironic you say that about Shaun King while citing a known jackass in Jason Whitlock as hte gospel, LOL

It was totally cool to rip Jameis Winston to shreds, give half (if that) truths, spout off only one side of the story as fact, and destroy a guys reputation, but God forbid it's Payton Manning. Jameis had a one night stand with a girl who regretted it with a back woods ass family who saw a payday. 

Basically, I learned my lesson with media. Only one thing matters and it isn't the truth. Always an agenda driven by the bottom line. 

Ironic you say that about Shaun King while citing a known jackass in Jason Whitlock as hte gospel, LOL

Ironic that you are defending a guy who took a one-sided summary of a 74-page document filed by Jamie Naughright’s lawyers in the case against Manning, with no balance or objectivity, assumed that everything in it was the gospel, and published it in an article written in a manner to make somebody look like a monstrous sex offender.

Edit: And it turns out it was Florio, not Whitlock. And it also turns out that what Florio said is gospel truth. He didn't say that Manning was innocent or guilty. He said that it was a ****ty article written by an unintelligent journalist with no understanding of the legal document he was using as his source and presented in a way that displayed clear bias and disregard for objectivity. I'd say that pretty much covers it.

Ironic that you are defending a guy who took a one-sided summary of a 74-page document filed by Jamie Naughright’s lawyers in the case against Manning, with no balance or objectivity, assumed that everything in it was the gospel, and published it in an article written in a manner to make somebody look like a monstrous sex offender.

go back to my post. I said Shaun King did look at one side of the story. Saying that, Manning alleges he was mooning a guy who flat out said that is not what happened.

I think we need to hear from Manning yet he has gone into radio silence.

Edit: And it turns out it was Florio, not Whitlock. And it also turns out that what Florio said is gospel truth. He didn't say that Manning was innocent or guilty. He said that it was a ****ty article written by an unintelligent journalist with no understanding of the legal document he was using as his source and presented in a way that displayed clear bias and disregard for objectivity. I'd say that pretty much covers it.

So what do you want here? DO you think this story should just go away?

ANd Florio can contest with the facts of the case, Archie Manning's testimony is on record.

Along with the Mannings deciding to bring up this story again when it was settled years in prior.

Media loves to (try) destroy what they create.  Witnessed it with McGwire, witnessed it with Armstrong.

I agree that what Manning did was wrong.  Archie's dumb comments afterward were stupid....and the Mannings haven't done much to quell the issue since they've brought it up a few times over the years.

I just hate the media in this country.  I really do.  I recognize the importance of freedom of speech and having a government that doesn't censor news outlets and wouldn't change it but man I hate how they operate.  Seemingly getting worse all the time and no one to hold them accountable.  

Archived