Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME GREG MANUSKY AS OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS COACH

TK

For Immediate Release

January 22, 2016

REDSKINS NAME GREG MANUSKY 
AS OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS COACH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Greg Manusky as Outside Linebackers Coach.

Manusky returns to the Redskins with 27 combined seasons of NFL experience, including 15 as a coach and 12 as a player. He entered the coaching ranks full-time with the Redskins in 2001 as the team’s linebackers coach. During his 15 seasons as an NFL coach, 11 different players have earned a total of 17 Pro Bowl selections under his tutelage.

Manusky has spent the last nine seasons as a defensive coordinator with the Indianapolis Colts (2012-15), San Diego Chargers (2011) and San Francisco 49ers (2007-10).

The Colts won at least eight games in all four of Manusky’s seasons in Indianapolis, earning three postseason berths including an AFC Championship appearance in 2014. The Colts recorded 10 interception returns for touchdowns during Manusky’s four-year tenure, tied for second-most in the AFC and tied for fifth-most in the NFL in that time frame.

In 2011, Manusky’s defense in San Diego allowed an average of 224.4 net passing yards per game, as safety Eric Weddle tied for the NFL lead with seven interceptions and earned a trip to the 2012 Pro Bowl. Prior to joining the Chargers, Manusky spent four seasons (2007-10) as defensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers, including a 2009 unit that did not allow a touchdown in five separate games while forcing an NFL-best 21 fumbles.

Prior to becoming a defensive coordinator in San Francisco in 2007, Manusky spent four seasons (2002-06) as the Chargers’ linebackers coach. In his final season in that capacity, San Diego linebackers accounted for 42.5 of the team’s NFL-best 61.0 regular season sacks. That season, linebacker Shawne Merriman tied the Chargers’ franchise record with 17.0 sacks, becoming the first Charger to lead the league in sacks.

Manusky started his coaching career in 2000, working as a volunteer linebackers and special teams coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during training camp. He then joined the Redskins staff in 2001 as the team’s linebackers coach, helping guide LaVar Arrington to his first career Pro Bowl berth.

Manusky was a linebacker and special teams standout during his 12-year NFL playing career in Washington, Minnesota and Kansas City, recording a stretch in which he participated in 113 consecutive games. Manusky earned All-Madden Team honors in 1991 and retired from the NFL in 2000.

A native of Wyoming, Pa., Manusky attended Dallas (Pa.) H.S. before playing collegiately at Colgate University, where he was a four-year letterman and an All-Colonial League selection. As a senior in 1987, Manusky was named the Colonial League’s Defensive Player of the Year. He graduated with degrees in education and geology.

Manusky and his wife, Laurie, have two sons, Colton and Jake, and two daughters, Logan and Chandler.

MANUSKY FOOTBALL TIMELINE

2012-15:          Defensive Coordinator, Indianapolis Colts

2011:               Defensive Coordinator, San Diego Chargers

2007-10:          Defensive Coordinator, San Francisco 49ers

2002-06:          Linebackers, San Diego Chargers

2001:               Linebackers, Washington Redskins

2000:               Training Camp Volunteer Coach, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

1994-99:          Linebacker, Kansas City Chiefs

1991-93:          Linebacker, Minnesota Vikings

1988-90:          Linebacker, Washington Redskins

1984-87:          Linebacker, Colgate

This is a McCloughlan hire and a good move. Manusky was the DC In San Francisco when McCloughlan was there as a player personnel exec. and later GM. This to me is a move to let our current DC Berry know that, although you did a solid job last season, we need to be much better on defense and if you can't get the defense to play at a higher level consistently, your possible replacement is already on staff. 

This is a McCloughlan hire and a good move. Manusky was the DC In San Francisco when McCloughlan was there as a player personnel exec. and later GM. This to me is a move to let our current DC Berry know that, although you did a solid job last season, we need to be much better on defense and if you can't get the defense to play at a higher level consistently, your possible replacement is already on staff. 

I don't think it has that sentiment at all. Not that McCloughan isn't all about competition but I think this is purely another phenomenal move on the part of our GM to improve our coaching staff. It's not as if our defense doesn't already have other qualified guys on it, or the coaching staff in general. You have Perry Fewell, a former defensive coordinator and I believe even an interim head coach. The offense has Callahan who was a former offensive coordinator and assistant head coach. We have at least three guys now total who have served at least as coordinators who are currently working as position coaches for this team. 

You can't help but be impressed that so many overqualified guys are essentially taking a step down (at least in terms of title) to be a part of this coaching staff. It gives you the sense that respected coaches around the league believe in what is being built here and want to be a part of it. We're not going to be able to hold on to all these guys forever but it's a huge positive to have so much experience and quality on the coaching staff - you saw how well Fewell did with the defensive backs this year. Having a defensive coordinator type focusing on just the outside linebackers while helping develop and implement a defensive gameplan and break down opponents...this offseason is already starting off very well. 

This is a McCloughlan hire and a good move. Manusky was the DC In San Francisco when McCloughlan was there as a player personnel exec. and later GM. This to me is a move to let our current DC Berry know that, although you did a solid job last season, we need to be much better on defense and if you can't get the defense to play at a higher level consistently, your possible replacement is already on staff.

Gruden picks the coaches.

I don't think it has that sentiment at all. Not that McCloughan isn't all about competition but I think this is purely another phenomenal move on the part of our GM to improve our coaching staff. It's not as if our defense doesn't already have other qualified guys on it, or the coaching staff in general. You have Perry Fewell, a former defensive coordinator and I believe even an interim head coach. The offense has Callahan who was a former offensive coordinator and assistant head coach. We have at least three guys now total who have served at least as coordinators who are currently working as position coaches for this team. 

You can't help but be impressed that so many overqualified guys are essentially taking a step down (at least in terms of title) to be a part of this coaching staff. It gives you the sense that respected coaches around the league believe in what is being built here and want to be a part of it. We're not going to be able to hold on to all these guys forever but it's a huge positive to have so much experience and quality on the coaching staff - you saw how well Fewell did with the defensive backs this year. Having a defensive coordinator type focusing on just the outside linebackers while helping develop and implement a defensive gameplan and break down opponents...this offseason is already starting off very well. 

Good points all around about our coaches on staff. But unlike the other guys you mentioned, McCloughan and Manusky have a history together. I find it very interesting that you bring in a guy who's been a decent DC over the past nine seasons to be your outside LB's coach. Manusky is a nine season DC and you can make the argument that he is much more qualified than Berry to be a DC. Pagano wasn't expected to keep his head coaching job in Indy and being that he did, there had to be a sacrificial lamb or two and it's likely that Manusky was one. I'm not down on Berry yet and absolutely think he deserves to hold down the DC job. I just can't help thinking that Manusky is a McCloughan guy and getting him on staff feels like it could be a move with future intentions.

Maybe. But considering that our GM has a history with Manusky, you're never gonna convince me that he didn't have a say in this move. 

Edit

First, one minor correction - Bill Callahan was also the HC in Oakland the last time they went to a SB. But your point is accurate and well taken.

Overall, I could not agree more with your take! The idea that this is some kind of message hire just makes no logical sense what so ever. Coaches, even more than players know they are all on borrowed time. If you need to do something like that to motivated them then you didn't hire the right guy to begin with! My guess is anyone thinking this is a warning didn't like the Barry hire and still want him replaced. But of course that is just a guess, I have no proof.

Just for the record, while our yds/gm were similar, we went from 29th in pts allowed to 17th. That's a 12 spot improvement. Considering we finished the season with 3 starters that were not even on the team at the start of the season tells me the Def coaching staff did a hell of a job. The fact they are adding someone tells me they are not happy with the results and looked for opportunities to improve their staff. Jay said Ok and Scot helped them find someone. Then they all agreed Manusky was the right guy.

It's not some backhanded warning. Sorry that's just makes no sense.

Bottom line: we can all agree this is another excellent coaching staff hire by Jay and Scot that we can all be excited about for multiple reasons. It adds another high quality coach and it shows that good, experienced coaches are willing to come to Washington even in a reduced role to be a part of what we are building. I think it shows a lot of confidence in Scot, but I think more importantly for us fans it shows a lot of confidence in Jay Gruden. We MAY finally have a competent head coach, gm AND qb. Scary, I know.

If I read some of our posters around here, I have to believe that Scott McCloughan is GM and HC right now. And Jay Gruden have never existed.

Maybe. But considering that our GM has a history with Manusky, you're never gonna convince me that he didn't have a say in this move. 

Guess what, both Scott and Jay talk all day long about stuff like that. Coaches, players included. And I bet a they seem to always reach a point of agreement on specific players and coaches. Saying here that Gruden had no say in this move is pure fiction as well. Stop discarding Jay in every moves we're doing. Especially when Scott said that HC hire coaches.

So yeah, Scott had a word in it, and guess what? I'm pretty sure Barry had is word also. He might also be the one that asked for a coach for OLB.

Now, that doesn't seem like a move to scare Barry. Because well, there's already Fewell with some DC experience in the coaching staff. So won't change much.

Much seems like a move to spare times for Joe Barry though. Last year we separate with Brian Baker that used to be the OLB coach to only ride with Olivadotti, and most probably Barry as he used to be LB coach. That's purely a move to replace Baker. Mistake acknowledged, mistake corrected.

Welcome home Greg!

Bottom line: we can all agree this is another excellent coaching staff hire by Jay and Scot that we can all be excited about for multiple reasons. It adds another high quality coach and it shows that good, experienced coaches are willing to come to Washington even in a reduced role to be a part of what we are building. I think it shows a lot of confidence in Scot, but I think more importantly for us fans it shows a lot of confidence in Jay Gruden. We MAY finally have a competent head coach, gm AND qb. Scary, I know.

No question about it. I think it's a great hire and if I came off to some wanting Berry out, that's not true. I said he absolutely deserves to stay on as DC. I just think that aside from it being a great hire, it's an interesting one too. Our defense just got better with Manusky added and that obviously is a good thing.

No question about it. I think it's a great hire and if I came off to some wanting Berry out, that's not true. I said he absolutely deserves to stay on as DC. I just think that aside from it being a great hire, it's an interesting one too. Our defense just got better with Manusky added and that obviously is a good thing.

1- why is it interesting?

2- it's Barry, not Berry.

I said why I thought it was interesting. You strongly disagree and that's fine. Thanks for correcting me on the spelling, I appreciate ya.

so you really think adding an outside LB coach was done to motivate Barry?

Fewell, Akey and Olivadotti are all probably better DC candidates.

so you really think adding an outside LB coach was done to motivate Barry?

Fewell, Akey and Olivadotti are all probably better DC candidates.

What I think is that bringing in a guy who's been a DC for the past nine seasons to be your OLB's coach who has a history with the GM is a great move. As far as it being done to motivate anyone, I hope so. Motivation is a good thing and I think the Manusky hire is going to motivate the entire defensive staff and help them bring our D to the next level. I'll leave it at that.

Archived